Sony announces the XDCAM EX - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 21st, 2007, 05:03 AM   #121
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
How will a SxS ExpressCard reader connect - if not to use the recorded clips directly, then at least for drag'n'drop copying to the HDD?
New motherboard?
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:19 AM   #122
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith View Post
New motherboard?
And to think that I was buing mine only a couple months ago, and was considering another one with PCI-Express, but didn't see any immediate use for it:(.

Further about practical aspects: suppose I'm taking the EX out for a trip in Africa for a couple of weeks; not having the old, good tape recording/archiving option, what am I supposed to do apart from taking an ExpressCard-capable laptop, and the PDW-U1 with a bunch of Pro Disks with me?

Cause even with the SxS card pricing being lower than P2's, it's still too expensive to buy them by dozens!
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:00 AM   #123
Trustee

Quote:
Fine, but how about those PC's that don't have PCI-Express interface? How will a SxS ExpressCard reader connect - if not to use the recorded clips directly, then at least for drag'n'drop copying to the HDD?
Drag and drop using FAM connection with a firewire lead like you do with the current XDCAM system.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:03 AM   #124
Trustee

Let's hope the EX will have the possibility to directly connect to:

PDW-U1 USB XDCAM HD DISC READER/WRITER
Remember, you don't actually need to buy a deck if you are on a budget as the XDCAM HD camcorders transfer to/from computer via FAM (file transfer mode) FireWire at speeds of less than half real time. If you can't afford a deck, but would like another option as opposed to using your camcorder - which might be in the field - then you could opt for the brand new PDW-U1. The PDW-U1 is a new USB drive that reads and writes to Sony's Professional XDCAM HD Optical Disc. This little device is simply stunning, as well as incredibly compact; about the size of a small external FireWire hard drive such as the LaCie models. The PDW-U1 has the following features: USB 2.0 interface, single optical head with Max read of 120Mbps, support for phase1, 2 and 3 media, dual-layer ready, multiple file access, and bundled software utilities including PDZ-1 for Windows, PDZ-VX10 viewer for Windows, PDZK-P1 transfer software for Mac and utility firmware upgrade for Windows and Macintosh. The PDW-U1 will be available to buy in September for around £1800 list price.

PDW-U1 Specifications
USB 2.0 interface
Single optical head (120Mbps max read speed)
Supports all announced XDCAM media
Dual layer ready
Multiple file access
Free included software for Mac and PC

Then in your example you only need 2 SxS cards and a bunch of 23/50 GB Professional disks.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:09 AM   #125
Inner Circle

How would it connect to the PDW-U1 drive? Via USB? Didn't notice an USB port on the new cam, but OK - that's possible. However, I still think a computer will be necessary between XDCAM EX and the Pro Disc drive...

Don't get me wrong: I'm not complaining about the EX; on the contrary - I think it's very promising. However, it's supposed to be a compact camcorder; this implies mobility, and one cannot be truly mobile without means of dumping footage from the flash media every hour or two! So, as the B camera for a full XDCAM setup - great; as a traveller's companion - a no-go, I'm afraid! Not until the ExpressCard holding full hour of HQ HD price is similar to a miniDV tape. When? Yeah, perhaps sooner that we could imagine - but not tomorrow!
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:26 AM   #126
Regular Crew

Menu Structure.

I must say this camera looks extremely promising. I am not sure if broadcasters ( ENG ) would accept footage from this as, the format (sxs) is not within their work flow structure ( well not for now at least). For the indie guy, an absolute winner. The PDW- U1, is going to be also a warm welcome, as in the past Sony's recording and playback machines were exceptionally high in price and the average man in the street couldn't afford them ( except for DVCAM) so HD for the masses.

Could anyone answer if, it will have a menu structure like the F330. Detail, Gamma, full Colour Matrix adjustable colour temp etc... and not of the likes of the hvx200 with a very stripped down menu and colour temp represented as + & -'s and not as kelvins.
Stil Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:25 AM   #127
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stil Williams View Post
I must say this camera looks extremely promising. I am not sure if broadcasters ( ENG ) would accept footage from this as, the format (sxs) is not within their work flow structure ( well not for now at least).
The format is XDCAM HD codec like the big brother cameras. Only the recording media has changed. I suspect there are, or will be, express card adapters to ingest into a system without an express card interface built in, albeit at the expense of transfer speed. Any broadcaster or network that can accept XDCAM HD material, will be able to work with this camera's material once it gets ingested.

As to your menu question, I didn't have a chance to go into the menus in my brief hands-on with the camera.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:53 AM   #128
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham View Post
Drag and drop using FAM connection with a firewire lead like you do with the current XDCAM system.
Simon, you mean firewire between the EX camera and a PC, right? This still leaves open the question of copying from SxS do HDD when the camera is in field, I'm afraid.
Old April 21st, 2007, 09:38 AM   #129
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Fine, but how about those PC's that don't have PCI-Express interface? How will a SxS ExpressCard reader connect - if not to use the recorded clips directly, then at least for drag'n'drop copying to the HDD?
Well since most HD editing systems need a dual core system or at least a pretty good single chip it is safe to say that most HD editing systems should already have PCI Express.

PCI Express is the new standard and pretty much any motherboard built within the last two years will have at least one PCI Express slot. If you bought a motherboard a month ago that had no PCI Express slots it either is an ultra cheap quality motherboard or a very very old model. I cannot even find a motherboard anymore that has no PCI Express slots unless it is for an older single chip system such as a P4 Prescott or Northwood chip.

The only other motherboards which have no PCI Express slots are those designed for AGP video cards. Again however most of those motherboards are for older styles of chips and hardware and really are not the norm for HD editing systems.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 09:43 AM   #130
Wrangler

Thomas, it's my understanding that Express Card 34 is different than PCI-e slot connectors on a motherboard. Express Card 34, is the PCMCIA replacement and is found on the newer laptop computers such as the Macbook Pro.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:03 AM   #131
Trustee

Greg, The reply above was about a adpater I found to add a Express card slot to a desktop computer using a PCI Express slot. I posted a link to the adapter above which costs $59.00. Piotr's post was asking what people would do if their desktop computer didn't have any PCI Express slots for the adapter.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:01 AM   #132
Major Player

Express Card/34 SSD and connection to computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
Greg, The reply above was about a adpater I found to add a Express card slot to a desktop computer using a PCI Express slot. I posted a link to the adapter above which costs $59.00. Piotr's post was asking what people would do if their desktop computer didn't have any PCI Express slots for the adapter.
Perhaps I am missing something here but is this the most simple solution? : http://www.transcendusa.com/Press/in...690&axn=Detail

Look at the second paragraph last sentence: "Moreover, Transcend’s ExpressCard/34 SSD comes bundled with a portable USB adapter, which makes it work as a regular USB flash drive. "

The way I read this - put the card in the adaptor and the USB 2.0 into the computer and you are up and running - or is this not what they meant? Once your XDCAM files are on the computer (desktop or laptop) then write them to the storage discs via PDW-U1 connected by USB 2.0?
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:01 AM   #133
Trustee

Quote:
This still leaves open the question of copying from SxS do HDD when the camera is in field, I'm afraid.
Yes, you are correct. However Sony have not said whether or not there might be other support devices. If you copied to another XDCAM device such as the U1 using the FAM connection then your data would be as safe as houses on an XDCAM disc instead of a hard drive.

The U1 would connect to the laptop at the same time as the EX. Then you would use the PDZ-1 software to perform an XDCAM device to XDCAM device transfer.

What would be ideal however would be if Sony made an XDCAM disc backup device that didn't require a connection to a laptop.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:26 AM   #134
Trustee

Barry,

This makes sense, but the consequence is you need a notebook to transfer your data from the SxS card to the notebook and then to Pro Disks. It would be preferable to have a USB2 connector on the EX and being able to directly transfer to Pro disk and leave out the notebook. Let's make that a feature request.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:27 AM   #135
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post

Any broadcaster or network that can accept XDCAM HD material, will be able to work with this camera's material once it gets ingested.

-gb-

Exactly ...This is what dictates the camera operators life in the world of shooting (except indie of course )and buying gear can be such a risk. You can only go with what broadcasters and post houses accept no matter how good a format / medium may be...
Here in the UK i havent seen that many XDCAM HD formats, also JVC pro HD is hardly mentioned !

Although I see the BBC embracing this camera for their tapeless solutions and am sure every other broadcaster will follow suit, then the post houses and freelance operators, it always seems to follow this pattern.

The Z1 (recording in SD) did phenomenally well here in the broadcast sector over the hvx200 and JVC GY HDxxx series . Now Sony has brought out essesntially an HD Solid State Z1 or mini 330 which everway you look at it, these will be sold out before they hit the shelves guaranteed.

to be honest if this thing has a colour matrix and detailed menu section, then it could be calibrated via DSC Charts to intercut with any of its bigger brothers or even transfer scene files ! BTW does it have access memory stick access ? ( deep breaths Stil, deep breaths)
Stil Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds