Sony XDCAM EX -- a bunch of pics - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM   #91
Major Player

I can't help but feel that a 50mbit palmcorder would bastardize sales of their own corporate / lowend-pro cameras.

If this thing does record 4:2:2 50mbit then it will be a better camera than the (more expensive) F330.

Surely no company in their right mind would redirect potential customers to an item with a lower margin?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:49 AM   #92
Major Player

hi there

This camera certainly seems to tick a lot of boxes as an advancement for the Z1..(which depite it's progessive chips, I never considered the V1 was... smaller 1/4" chips, smaller, more fiddly controls, step back for LCD placement etc)
I would however echo the reservations about it's size... the Z1 is heavy, once you add mic, large battery, mattebox etc... I use mine with a shoulder mount...but it is very front heavy.

While I love the form announced, which looks absolutely outstanding, I'd love it in shoulder form, or even semi-shoulder like say an XL2. but I guess they don't want to step on the ground of the current XDcam's... They are however out of my price bracket.

I do see though they have an HDV shoulder cam in the works too, which was one of my queries a few months back... While I doubt it will equal the quality of the XDcam EX, if it's a progressive Z1 in a shoulder mount body that may well do me..

Exciting times...

cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:37 AM   #93
Major Player

What makes this here Sony beautiful is:

- 1/2" chips
- saves to flash cards!
- 4:2:0 is fine for green screen
- under 8k

Sony has finally woken up. This might be (finally) the first under 10k cam that's as good as super16mm film.

Bounce pass to Canon and Panny in the corner...will they put up a three or travel out of bounds...
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:19 PM   #94
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Watkins View Post
I would however echo the reservations about it's size... the Z1 is heavy, once you add mic, large battery, mattebox etc... I use mine with a shoulder mount...but it is very front heavy.

What shoulder mount do you use?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:30 PM   #95
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Watkins View Post
hi there

I do see though they have an HDV shoulder cam in the works too, which was one of my queries a few months back... While I doubt it will equal the quality of the XDcam EX, if it's a progressive Z1 in a shoulder mount body that may well do me..

Exciting times...

cheers
Gareth
What HDV shoulder cam are you referring to??
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM   #96
Wrangler

See the following: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91617
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:09 PM   #97
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
What HDV shoulder cam are you referring to??
Scott, I use the Cavision shoulder mount with a Manfrotto Universal mount... This way I can swap it easily onto my Libec LS38 tripod with the same mount... Not ideal but works fine..... Camera is still very front heavy though!!!

Ray: Check out Boyd's post for info on the HDV shoulder cam...

I'm looking forward to this one..

regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:37 PM   #98
Major Player

Regarding the "hidden surprises" to be revealed, I'm sure hoping for 4 channels of audio and TC in/out.

Last edited by Mark Utley; May 22nd, 2007 at 05:12 PM.
Mark Utley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #99
Major Player

I have held off on buying anything video and photo related short of an HD and some memory cards, specifically for this camera. I am all over it when it is announced. bye bye tape!
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #100
Regular Crew

he he... Scott you better start buying those 500gb drives for archiving
before you get this cam.... :-)
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #101
Major Player

I did buy a couple of those this past week :-) too cheap to pass up.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #102
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith View Post
I can't help but feel that a 50mbit palmcorder would bastardize sales of their own corporate / lowend-pro cameras.

If this thing does record 4:2:2 50mbit then it will be a better camera than the (more expensive) F330.

Surely no company in their right mind would redirect potential customers to an item with a lower margin?
Unless Sony also releases an update to the F330 at the same time.
Brian Standing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #103
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
It won't happen. Several design limitations involved there. The new PDW-F355 will have the dual layer disc, along with other enhancements, but still won't record 50mb 4:2:2. That is being reserved for the high end XDCAM HD with 2/3 sensors.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #104
Trustee

With humble nod to Greg's reply - if only I could delete the following... <g>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith View Post
If this thing does record 4:2:2 50mbit then it will be a better camera than the (more expensive) F330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
But even if they didn't, the F330's glass would be far superior, the form factor far more comfortable and the viewfinder way more useful. The 4:2:2 would be one more check box to match the HVX200 and demonstrate the ability to do chromakey at HD.

Having said that, I've heard that 35 Mbps 4:2:0 isn't as bad as it sounds - has anyone tried it?
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #105
Major Player

Not only is it "not bad", but from everything I've heard it is really, really good. There was an article somewhere reviewing the 330 and 350 and it was compared to the Varicam favorably. I haven't used it, but from reading what professionals say about it....well it sounds quite good.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds