F3 versus Panna HPX-2100 shootout at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 28th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #1
Major Player

F3 versus Panna HPX-2100 shootout

I did a side by side shootout between the F3 and a big Panasonic 2/3"-HD cam (HPX-2100) a couple of days ago. The results were very interesting!

If you are interested I've posted some images and an article here: http://kamrat.tv/
Old March 28th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: F3 versus Panna HPX-2100 shootout

Ola,
Tests are interesting but not the same as real world shooting.Your results are not very surprising given the parameters you used. Frankly I find the detail off setting the most questionable on these tests. Low is a lot different than off. I would have tried to match the detail on a chart to see if there is some setting both cameras respond well at. If the Panasonic doesn't have a cinegamma setting then you probably should not use one on the Sony for comparison, If you want to see what it does then shoot on the Sony using both. As for the grading and other issues with Codecs did you equalize them somehow. Did you compare the two cameras with motion shots as well. How about under Flash or strobe lighting?
While the F3 has some advantages in the shots you chose you didn't really tell us everything about each shot to understand what we are looking at as well as how you would deal with the production using each camera. Try shooting with the F3 handheld as shipped compared to the 2100 as shipped and you might find the footage gives you a completely different answer as to which is better than a locked off tripod shot. If all you wanted to do was compare DOF for each camera you would find the F3 winning everytime.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Daniel - all of your objections are relevant! Thats why I'm clearly stating that it is not a fair test. I do not claim that it is in any way scientific or complete. It is what it is. That is also why I am putting all cards on the table so that everyone can judge for them selves knowing the weaknesses of the test.
However, weighing in all the facts that you state I am still very surprised at the results. The noise levels of the Panasonic are way higher than the F3 and there is no way electronic sharpening could bring back the detail into the shots that the F3 has.

I was not expecting these results and if I could I'd go back and redo the test. Of course the F3 should be set to normal gamma and detail off as well. Even though -17 is very close to detail off.
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #4
Trustee

If you get to repeat it I wouldn't put the F3 to normal detail but put both cameras at what users consider typical. F3 - 17 detail, but the Panny shouldn't be off. However, you did still learn stuff that's surprising.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #5
Wrangler

Every Panasonic I've ever tried is noisier than it's competition...it's been that way for years.

Long time ago I was involved in a couple few camera shootouts for magazines, etc and it was always the same.

Same goes for their stills cameras, if you pay close attention to the digital photography sites. They just have a higher tolerance for noise.

Last edited by Nate Weaver; March 29th, 2011 at 04:33 AM.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta