New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014 - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old November 24th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #196
Inner Circle

Re: New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014

i've been using a Canon EF 18-35mm Art lens on the FS7 and it is a beautiful combination, no vignetting. There are some iris control issues with both the commlite and metabones adapters with the old firmware, not had a chance to test with the new firmware yet.
Old November 24th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #197
Major Player

Alister - I have tried to look up "Canon 18-35mm Art Lens" and I keep getting redirected to the Sigma 18-35mm f 1.8 for Canon - are they one and the same? I have seen a report where the Sony LAEA4 adaptor works with this lens (Sigma) and allows for proper iris control.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #198
Wrangler

Barry, Art is the series for the 18-35 lens. Think of it like "L" for Canon. But yes, same lens unless they've changed something.
Old November 24th, 2014, 06:22 PM   #199
Wrangler

Anyone know what the minimum XQD card speed needed for the FS7 is offhand? Can't find any exact answer. I imagine the Sony 180 MB/s cards are plenty, just wondering if the slightly slower/older ones work in a pinch.
Old November 24th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #200
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Anyone know what the minimum XQD card speed needed for the FS7 is offhand? Can't find any exact answer. I imagine the Sony 180 MB/s cards are plenty, just wondering if the slightly slower/older ones work in a pinch.
Using N cards here. XAVC-L records up to 120p no problem. In Intra can only record 1080 1-48p and 4k 24P on N cards
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 07:27 AM   #201
Major Player

I down loaded this XQD chart form Sony Recording times etc.
Attached Thumbnails
New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014-xqd_recording_times.png  
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #202
Wrangler

Thanks Monday.
Great chart, thanks Brian!
Old November 25th, 2014, 06:11 PM   #203
Regular Crew

B & H Photo has just informed me that my pre-ordered FS7 has shipped! It should be here by 12/01/2014

Last edited by Michael Stevenson; November 25th, 2014 at 07:43 PM.
Michael Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #204
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stevenson View Post
B & H Photo has just informed me that me pre-ordered FS7 has shipped! It should be here by 12/01/2014
Very cool! When did you order it?
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #205
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kimmel View Post
Very cool! When did you order it?
Wed 9/17/14 12:14 PM. Yahoo!
Michael Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #206
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stevenson View Post
Wed 9/17/14 12:14 PM. Yahoo!
Great! Congratulations again!
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #207
Major Player

Of the new FS7 owners - can you tell me what size microphones fit in the microphone holder (without additional spacers) - I have an AT stereo shotgun - 21 mm in diameter. Thanks

Last edited by Barry J. Weckesser; November 28th, 2014 at 11:42 AM.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #208
Wrangler

I just realized, I've hit a point where I'm completely indifferent to cameras - My FS7 has been sitting in cardboard in front of me since Wednesday and I haven't bothered opening it yet.

I'll crack it open and measure that mic for you after I get a coffee.
Old November 28th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #209
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
Alister - I have tried to look up "Canon 18-35mm Art Lens" and I keep getting redirected to the Sigma 18-35mm f 1.8 for Canon - are they one and the same? I have seen a report where the Sony LAEA4 adaptor works with this lens (Sigma) and allows for proper iris control.
To my knowledge there is no such thing as a "Canon 18-35 Art Lens". It's the Sigma version, and the Sigma version only, that is labeled "art lens".

One thing I have noticed is that the Sony A-mount is also referred to as "Alpha mount" and the Sony E-mount is also referred to as "NEX mount". Where it gets confusing is that E-mount lenses are also referred to as "Alpha lens".

I take it that there are "Alpha" lenses that are A-mount and there are "Alpha" lenses that are E-mount. ( anyone have any idea what "FE" stands for as used in reference to Sony's new line of glass? )

I am considering the rehoused version of the Sigma 18-35 for Nikon since that version has an iris ring on the lens. In theory this lens should work with the Fs7 with a simple Nikon G to non-electronic E-mount adapter. I am curious what the result would be if you used the Sigma 18-35 Nikon version that has an iris ring on the lens in conjunction with a Nikon to E-mount adapter such as the Novoflex adapter that has iris control on the adapter. The result would be iris control on the lens AND on the adapter. What happens if you move the two controls at the same time??

The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens for Nikon does NOT have an iris on the lens. Somehow the folks who rehouse the lens add an iris ring to the lens.

Anyone know the extent to which the Sigma 18-35 has the same "fly by wire" feel that the Sony lenses have? Or is the focus action better, more mechanical feeling? Does any version of the Sigma 18-35 have focus end stop? Is any version of the lens truly par focal?

I suspect that every form of the Sigma 18-35 suffers from the same lens flare that the Canon 16-35 EF suffers from. I frequently find myself having to try to use my hand to block extraneous light and there have been instances where I was screwed because I could not adjust focus and shade the lens at the same time.

In the end the Sigma is a still photography lens and it will never perform as well as cinema glass or even a B4 "broadcast tv" zoom. Same with all these "Alpha" lenses from Sony. I don't consider them to be truly professional video lenses and I hate the fact as a result of budget constraints I have to use any of them at all. That said, countless "professionals" are using these still photo lenses for professional video productions. I'm shooting a reality tv show tomorrow that is being shot on C300's with Canon EF glass.

My goal is to ultimately acquire something like the Angenieux DP Rouge zoom and an assortment of cinema primes such as the Schneiders or Cookes. In the meantime it's this unfortunate world of still photo zooms that are not par focal, that flare, that don't have focus end stop, that have short focus throw, and having to control exposure via lens adapter or camera-driven control.
J. David Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #210
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
I just realized, I've hit a point where I'm completely indifferent to cameras - . . . . . I'll crack it open and measure that mic for you after I get a coffee.
Well, at least you're not indifferent to coffee! ;-)
Ken Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5