New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014 - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old November 28th, 2014, 01:04 PM   #211
Trustee

Re: New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM

I went along to a local demo of the new XDCAMs by CVP at Pacific Quay to see if I might be tempted back to Sony for my next camera. I wish I'd taken the time to read this thread through first - from the few photos I had seen, I was expecting the FS7 to be basically just a box that you mounted on a tripod - like the Canon C100/300 but a bit bigger. I was completely confused on being handed the FS7 in shoulder mount mode and didn't recognise that it was a shoulder mount camera even then, thus causing some mirth amongst those present as I tried to work out how to hold it. :-)

However, after watching a few others try it out I got the hang of it very quickly and came away suitably impressed. While the controls seem well thought out I have one little niggle - the audio gains are not accessible when the camera is shoulder mounted. I know that the audio gain function can be assigned to either the assignable control knob on the handle or the one on the body, but the channels can't be adjusted separately. Perhaps that could be done with a firmware update? I would miss the ability to tweak individual channels on the fly rather than rely on the limiters (which I presume it has?).

Cracking camera and very well built. One last observation - everybody who tried it misjudged at first where the lens rings were when reaching to adjust focus or length (the lens servo wasn't operational) and many a hand was grasping air about a foot in front of the lens, but after a couple of minutes that stopped.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #212
Space Hipster

Re: New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
Cracking camera and very well built. One last observation - everybody who tried it misjudged at first where the lens rings were when reaching to adjust focus or length (the lens servo wasn't operational) and many a hand was grasping air about a foot in front of the lens, but after a couple of minutes that stopped.
LOL.
That's exactly what happened at my demo. I did it and a lot of other guys did the same. It'll take some getting used to.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #213
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
Of the new FS7 owners - can you tell me what size microphones fit in the microphone holder (without additional spacers) - I have an AT stereo shotgun - 21 mm in diameter. Thanks
Looks like the standard Sony one, which is a little chubby. I need spacers for the ME66 mics which are 22mm iirc.

Quick first impressions:
Handle will need an extension for anyone over 6' tall. Build quality is nice. Sweet ND knob. EVF could have been designed a bit better to fit giant headed people.
Should balance great with a V-mount off the back.
Some buttons are in an annoying spot, like power. Some are excellent, like peaking/zebra.
Quite like the handle, well done. Could be reversed backwards for use with a tripod so you may not need an external controller.
No external shotgun microphone was included.
Anyone pulling focus solo is going to be putting their hand up near their chin, not something you think about until you try it, but awkward.

Overall, the few complaints I have are niggly, except for this one...
The only way to use this with a Manfrotto sliding plate type tripod, is by folding the handle all the way up, just because of the width of the head, however, with a long head like a 504, the little cord hooks on the bottom of the arm sit LOWER than the bottom of the camera. This is amazingly annoying, because not only does the camera NOT mount on a 502/504 head without significant jiggling, IT DOESN"T SIT FLAT ON THE TABLE. Did I already say amazingly annoying? I think a lot of owners will be taking a pair of pliers to snap these stupid things off (plastic at least) and just cable tying the grip remote cord to the arm.

Just my two cents: If I actually shot anything, this would be the camera I'd own and use daily over anything else sub $15k. I'd solve the tripod mounting plate problem buy buying a Sachtler or Cartoni.

AnD NOW bACK TO mY COFEeE!
Old November 28th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #214
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
the little cord hooks on the bottom of the arm sit LOWER than the bottom of the camera. This is amazingly annoying, because not only does the camera NOT mount on a 502/504 head without significant jiggling, IT DOESN"T SIT FLAT ON THE TABLE. Did I already say amazingly annoying? I think a lot of owners will be taking a pair of pliers to snap these stupid things off (plastic at least) and just cable tying the grip remote cord to the arm.

AnD NOW bACK TO mY COFEeE!
That is unbelievable (not sitting on a table) with the arm attached!! What an incredible faux pas on Sony's part. What were the engineers thinking?
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #215
Wrangler

Not sure if you're being sarcastic and don't understand the problem...

Anyway, there's a weird balance issue with this thing. It's tippy and wants to nose dive and simultaneously flip over. I'll post pics when I'm in the office tomorrow.

Bottom line, if you're using this hand held and need to sit it down, it's going on its side.
Old November 29th, 2014, 03:50 AM   #216
Major Player

Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic. I like to sit my videocam (current one is PMW200) on a flat surface and make adjustments to the camera through the menu system. From what I understand , one has to remove the arm in order to accomplish this on the FS7?
Old November 29th, 2014, 11:31 AM   #217
New Boot

I keep the FS7 arm back so the handle controller is at the back. Sits on a table no problem and you can use the handle to access the menus when it is on a tripod, no problems.

If I decide to go handheld, it takes me all of 20 seconds to loosen the arm and turn the handle.
Old November 29th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #218
Wrangler

Quote:
Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic. I like to sit my videocam (current one is PMW200) on a flat surface and make adjustments to the camera through the menu system. From what I understand , one has to remove the arm in order to accomplish this on the FS7?
Ok, wasn't sure. :)

I think most people will use it like Neil is, reverse mounting the arm, but for those who are doing run n gun (think reality show), there will be some cursing the arm not being able to lay flat in the forward position. Also the remote cable sure is tense at full extension. A quick release for the arm would be handy.

To expand, and some may fairly see this as nitpicking, it's a very wobbly camera sitting on a table even with the arm removed. Because of the shoulder pad, there is very little base to the camera, toss in the viewfinder off to one side and a heavy lens, and this is a camera that simultaneously wants to nose dive and barrel roll. A simple solution is a nice big baseplate, but of course then you can't pop it up to your shoulder instantly. A dual handle design would let it sit balanced, but because there's only one rosette you'll need to add another baseplate, and then you're into a completely different set of ergonomics.

These are all things that can be worked around of course. I think most people will end up ditching the arm completely and going with an aftermarket solution that repositions the remote grip. If I was an owner/operator, this would be the first thing I'd buy/build.
Old November 29th, 2014, 01:04 PM   #219
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
LOL.
That's exactly what happened at my demo. I did it and a lot of other guys did the same. It'll take some getting used to.
Looks like we're all in the same boat... I was staring in the viewfinder trying to figure out why I could see my hand grasping at thin air. :)
Old December 1st, 2014, 07:26 AM   #220
Major Player

I came across the Operations manual for the PXW-FS7 while ordering a Sony part. I apologize if this is a duplicate post from someone else a ways back in this thread

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4562025111.pdf

I like to peruse the operations manual before receiving a long-anticipated camera.
Old December 1st, 2014, 07:35 AM   #221
Inner Circle

Thanks Barry,

Perfect timing that was on my list to find today. Agree it will be nice to go through it prior to receiving the camera.
Old December 1st, 2014, 10:55 AM   #222
Major Player

Quote:
Not at all. Just looked online - shipment of 6 cards just released in customs (whew!) so should have delivery tomorrow. They charge what they say online 345 pounds sterling - right now $540 + postage of $40 for - 2-3 day air - same for 1 as for 6 cards so I'm paying around $7 per card.. $550 vs $800!!!

Of course, as with the 4 other cards I will upload and download about 120GB of video files and check times that it takes just to make sure not a defective card (will do same thing with camera when it arrives).

Thanks Barry for the info. on the 128gb XQD cards. I ordered six cards $540.00 each they arrived today. I still do not understand why US prices are so high. My Camera should be here this week.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 12:51 PM   #223
Major Player

$ 260 is a big markup and the people in UK are also making a profit.

I ordered the camera with the kit lens - but ordered right after IBC - hope it will be here by end of Dec. The lens is the holdup.
Old December 1st, 2014, 04:48 PM   #224
Major Player

Looking around online, I can't believe the number of companies that have the FS7 in stock - one claims to have 42 in stock yet B&H, Abel Cine and Adorama are still in the "Pre-order" stage. Odd.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:07 AM   #225
Inner Circle

Barry, I would question if they really have it in stock? They might just want you to order then say backordered. A lot of lower end retails shops will do that to get the order. I would trust DVinfo sponsors who are great shops.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5