Who has received their PIX240? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders

Old November 22nd, 2011, 02:38 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Who has received their PIX240?

Got one 10 days ago, which was about a week after the original estimate. (Fullcompass)

Worth the wait
Terry Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:32 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Terry, when did you place your order?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:07 PM   #18
Regular Crew

So for all of you that have the Pix240, would you recommend them ? What are the best things about the 240? and what is the worst?

I am thinking of getting one for a Red Epic, but am also looking at other recorders.

Thanks in advance !
Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:28 AM   #19
Regular Crew

@David
I placed the order about 2 months ago, before most of the usual resources (bh) were taking orders. I have a contact at fullcompass and I got on a waiting list. Their estimated ship date was a little optimistic, but it arrived in time.

@ Tim
Highly recommended. It is solid unit that you can rely on, and so nice to import media into avid at the speed of a file copy (over usb3). The monitor is fine for framing although somewhat view angle limited. I suspect sound Devices will be adding more features in time. Also, the unit becomes more massive when adding batteries to last over 2 hours. Be advised that I am not in the Red league, but just adding life to old 4,2,0, ccd cameras. I rely on a Sound Devices 788T for audio recording and decided to get a PIX240 shortly after it was announced.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:17 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I'd recommend the PIX240...
But, I can only compare it to the nanoFlash, Ninja and AJA Ki Pro which I've used in the past.
The design and monitor are wonderful... the worst, it weighs 2 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bradley View Post
So for all of you that have the Pix240, would you recommend them ? What are the best things about the 240? and what is the worst?

I am thinking of getting one for a Red Epic, but am also looking at other recorders.

Thanks in advance !
Bill Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Bill Kerrigan wrote "The design and monitor are wonderful... the worst, it weighs 2 pounds"

Does the PIX 240 weigh more than the sum of the devices it replaces ? I'm into the monitor and the additional XLR connectors, but from what I'm hearing, the monitor really isn't that good and currently doesn't include functions to aid focusing such as Peaking and functions to aid exposure such as histogram. Also, I'm wondering how the XLR recording quality compare to my Edirol R4 Pro.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #22
Inner Circle

I don't find the weight unreasonable. It weighs less than the battery I use on the F3.

The monitor on the unit is OK for framing in my opinion but not suitable for focus. Its pretty low rez. With some peaking or other focusing tools it may be OK but if you are shooting with a F3 and using wide stops on your lenses you may just miss a few critical focus pulls and never see it until you get the footage in the suite.

Not hatin' on the recorder but pointing out that the monitor is great for its UI but not a replacement for a viewfinder.

Now if you have it clamped to a table or something in the background its great for a directors monitor.
Old November 28th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #23
Regular Crew

The best way to think of a PIX240 is that it is a small powerful computer. So it is bigger and heavier than a Small HD DP6 monitor, but is doing a lot more. The monitor is better than expected for framing, and I know Sound Devices will likely add features in time just like they do with their audio recorders. They wanted to release a solid basic recorder first, and then refine it with firmware updates.

The audio recording is second to none...the design was from the 788T recorders. It currently records either camera or xlr audio, but I expect it to record both soon.
Old November 28th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #24
Major Player

Got mine.

Love it.
Matt Gottshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:23 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I've had mine about a week and still running tests... is anyone else using external timecode through the SDI connection embedded from an F3? I'm getting strange results?
Paul Ream is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders