Who has received their PIX240? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Who has received their PIX240?

I have gotten mine. It showed up on Saturday.

I've not taken it out of the box yet since the F3 is out on rental and I'm on light duty while I recover from throat/sinus surgery.

Lets hear from the others out there when you get your recorders. Please share your thoughts and impressions.
Old October 24th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Who has received their PIX240?

I was under the impression mine was coming sooner rather than later. Found out a couple of days ago that I am #76 on Abel's list and they are receiving them at the rate of 12 per week. Placed a backup order with Gotham Sound since my rep told me their waiting list is shorter.

I'll definitely be posting whenever mine finally arrives.

Ned
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Allan Barnwell at Omega Broadcast had one that wasn't committed last week when I last talked to him about it. You may want to drop him a note. They are forum sponsors to boot.
Old October 25th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Major Player

Thx, Chris. Just dropped Allan a line to see if he still has it.

Ned

UPDATE: Allan still had it and in two days I'll have it!

Thanks so much for the lead, Chris.

Ned

Last edited by Ned Soltz; October 25th, 2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #5
Major Player

Pix just arrived!
Old November 1st, 2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Gotham Sound will have stock on 11/2. Ask for Christina. And my continued thanks to Omega Broadcast for great service.
Old November 1st, 2011, 05:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
Pix just arrived!
Can I ask when you ordered yours Ned?
Paul Kapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 06:16 PM   #8
Major Player

I odered from Abel in early Sept but i was way down the list. Put down eeposit with Gotham who said they could deliver in 2 weeks. Omega had a cancellation and I snagged it on a Tuesday, receiving it 2 days later.
Old November 1st, 2011, 07:51 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Just got mine yesterday but haven't decided on hard drives. Wondering if (2) 128 gig drives would be better than one 256 gig. I know getting two of the 256's would be best of all but I want to see how much use I actually get out of this before I commit extra $. It's a shame the PIX needs such fast and expensive CF cards which kills the chance of using this for press junkets. Hoping future firmware can fix this but not holding my breath. One thing that really surprised me is the lack of locking mechanism for the batteries which will make it less useful for quick video assist situations. Anyone else have thoughts on any of these points?

mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I'm using the D-Tap cable and not the battery mount.
Old November 1st, 2011, 08:30 PM   #11
Major Player

Running mine as well with the D-Tap. I bought a 256gb SSD but also have a 128gb SSD that I had bought to test the Blackmagic Design HyperShuttle.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:19 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bolding View Post
Just got mine yesterday but haven't decided on hard drives. Wondering if (2) 128 gig drives would be better than one 256 gig. I know getting two of the 256's would be best of all but I want to see how much use I actually get out of this before I commit extra $.

mb
It's definitely better to get a 240-256 Gb SSD if you ever want to record Full HD SDI.
Due to structure, they are roughly 50% faster than 120Gb's, especially with the critical spec of Incompressible Sequential Write speed which is the one important to writing video files.

For the PIX, not sure it matters so much.

AnandTech - The SandForce Roundup: Corsair, Kingston, Patriot, OCZ, OWC & MemoRight SSDs Compared

AnandTech - OCZ Vertex 3 (240GB) Review
Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:20 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
I odered from Abel in early Sept but i was way down the list. Put down eeposit with Gotham who said they could deliver in 2 weeks. Omega had a cancellation and I snagged it on a Tuesday, receiving it 2 days later.
Thanks Ned.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:24 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bolding View Post
Just got mine yesterday but haven't decided on hard drives. Wondering if (2) 128 gig drives would be better than one 256 gig. I know getting two of the 256's would be best of all but I want to see how much use I actually get out of this before I commit extra $. It's a shame the PIX needs such fast and expensive CF cards which kills the chance of using this for press junkets. Hoping future firmware can fix this but not holding my breath. One thing that really surprised me is the lack of locking mechanism for the batteries which will make it less useful for quick video assist situations. Anyone else have thoughts on any of these points?

mb
The cards are currently on sale for the Compact Flash cards that are supported by the PIX units 90MB/sec (600x) Speed. For example B&H Photo as the following with free shipping - 16GB Extreme Pro CompactFlash Card $60 - 32GB Extreme Pro CompactFlash Card $100 - 64GB Extreme Pro CompactFlash Card $222. Still not the cheapest but a lot better that it was.

Update: Well that did not last long as B&H has just raised their price on the cards. 16GB = $66, 32GB = $113, 64GB = $250

Last edited by Hart Boyd; November 2nd, 2011 at 01:07 PM.
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 11:12 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Just curious how many of these are out in the wild now and how the stock is looking. Seems all the dealers are still showing not in stock. Anybody with a pre-order still waiting on their unit?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders