Best wireless kit for SPC shooting seminars & events? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

SPC - Single Person Crew
Who said "One is the Loneliest Number?" You'll never walk alone here.

Old August 24th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best wireless kit for SPC shooting seminars & events?

I shoot a lot of events & currently own 2 x Sennhesier G3 (UK) wifi kits & I sometimes loose signal seem to get other interference even after I do a scan at the location, so I am thinking of selling them & getting another model or different make.
Ideally I'd like something that accepts the Sennheiser MKE Gold mic input as I have 2 of these higher quality mic I'd like to keep.
Can anyone recommend a wifi kit (for on camera use) up to £1000 that would be better?
Thanks
Rob Hargreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Best wireless kit for SPC shooting seminars & events?

Hi Rob,

I am assuming you can't go wired?

I had two sets of G3 and then went Sennheiser 2000 which as better, but still not the quality and dependable audio I was looking for in a wireless system. So then I too the big jump to Lectrosonic, MM400C transmitters & SR dual receiver. I have found it to be night and day better, but it was a huge step up and outside your price. So I think you might have to spend more if you are going to the next step.
Old August 25th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I've been using Audio Technica ATW-1800 wireless systems since 2007. They've proven to be solid, the next best thing to having a hard-wired mic.

They're reasonably priced, too, considering the capabilities and that they're two-channel, with diversity receivers.
Old August 29th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Strange, in Australia we've been using the Sennheiser G2 and G3 kits for years without major issue. Maybe our air is cleaner, fresher, and free of interfering signals?
Ryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Like Dean I also use the AT 1800 series dual channel set since about 2007. I use Countryman EMW mics and am super pleased with the results I get. I've used them on Sony PD series, DSR series, Z1's, PMW, 350s, JVC HD100, 200, 250 series, HM700 and even an HM100. I love 'em!
Old August 30th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
Strange, in Australia we've been using the Sennheiser G2 and G3 kits for years without major issue. Maybe our air is cleaner, fresher, and free of interfering signals?
Maybe it's the accent that just makes it sound better. :-)
Old August 31st, 2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hargreaves View Post
Can anyone recommend a wifi kit (for on camera use) up to £1000 that would be better?
I can't on personal experience, but the goto wireless mics on this side of the big pond come from either Lectrosonics or Zaxcom. A single wireless channel from either one is likely to be more than you want to pay however. Well beyond my finances. But you'll hear them on just about any Hollywood movie you attend.

Between the Sennheisers and the Lectrosonics is... nothing I know of. The step up from Sennheiser, at least in NA, is huge.

I was in downtown Manhattan a year ago doing interviews and tradeshow floor. I was amazed at the performance of my Sennheiser ew100 G3 system. Both the body pack transmitter and the plug-on transmitter performed flawlessly. All I did was make a scan, pick a low-use channel (I was surprised to find quite a few in midtown Manhattan which some call "RF hell"), and go. Not a single RF hit, no dropouts, nothing other than good clean sound for three solid days. But the receiver was never very far away either, maybe 10m or so at worst.

Just about all of the local (as in central NC, USA) TV news crews use the same Senn. G3 system I do, it's easy to see the plug-in transmitters on the mics. They don't seem to be having problems either.

Would a Lectrosonics package have performed better? Well, it might have sounded a bit better, but still not as good as a $20 XLR cable. And it probably would have more "reach" but for what I do that's not much of a consideration.

So my answer to maximizing my sound money was a used MixPre-D and 15m of http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68101-REG/Audio_Technica_AT8314_50_3_pin_XLR_Male_to.html cable. Clearly, YMMV.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hargreaves View Post
I shoot a lot of events & currently own 2 x Sennhesier G3 (UK) wifi kits & I sometimes loose signal seem to get other interference even after I do a scan at the location, so I am thinking of selling them & getting another model or different make.
It's the word "scan" which I'm a bit concerned about.

Can I ask if you booked frequencies with JFMG for the date and the location of these events, or are you just taking a chance and scanning for channels that seem to be free? If the latter, you may be causing interference to others who have booked theirs in addition to suffering interference yourself.

I've used the Senny G2 and G3 kits (like you with the MKE Gold mics) all over the UK and occasionally Europe and only ever had interference from nearby smartphones.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew