Steadicam Solo - $499 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 19th, 2014, 08:26 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Steadicam Solo - $499

Rickey, what's the mono cam like? Any good?
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 05:04 PM   #32
Major Player

Do my eyes deceive me? It looks like this elusive Steadicam Solo is finally in stock, (but for shipping only) at B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/980426-REG/steadicam_stedicam_solo_stabilizer.html
I liked this guys review:

And the footage here:

Last edited by John C. Chu; November 23rd, 2014 at 07:11 PM.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 01:21 PM   #33
Major Player

HI John,

How did you achieve the low-mode shots?...because I wasn't aware that the Solo had a Low-mode

Thanks for your videos
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #34
Inner Circle

That test footage looks very decent though it looks quite heavy to hold for longer periods, in my country it's available for 500 euro
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gosselin View Post
HI John,

How did you achieve the low-mode shots?...because I wasn't aware that the Solo had a Low-mode

Thanks for your videos
I didn't shoot these. However, I believe the unit can be used upside down. The gimbal looks really nice. Just flip the image in post.
Old February 25th, 2015, 12:39 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Maclaurin View Post
Rickey, what's the mono cam like? Any good?
Same question here.. What's the monocam like for a third of the price?

I don't really want to pay £500 for the steadicam solo as I'm convinced the lack of fluid tilt will cause problems for me
David Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #37
Tourist

For those interested in the monocam

It's a nice affordable system to try out a steadicam like rig. But for any serious work (meaning holding up for professional use), it simply won't hold up. The components along with the gimbal is not of any higher quality.

For example the counter weight which you thread on at the bottom of the post, will make the post shift a 1-2cm so the weights is no longer parallel to the plattform. So i constantly had to check that.

Having owned the monocam (CP pro version) for over a year and then compare to the Solo... well it's really no contest. The build quality of the Solo is superior in every way. Sure it's heavier and by quite a bit, but it's so much easier to balance, as the gimbal is much more precise and consistent.

For the monocam i always had to bring a tripod or a clamp with a spigot so i could balance it once on location.

The Steadicam solo i simply note the markings for a given setup and it's rarely off balance once i mount it. For the small adjustments i need to make it's very easy to hold it with one hand while adjusting.

Monocam is a bit fiddly to assemble, while with the Solo you simply unfold it and you'r up and running.

So if you need a steadicam frequently for paid gigs can highly recommend the Steadicam Solo, can't say the same about the Monocam.
Paul Lindqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #38
Major Player

I noticed B&H is selling the Steadicam Solo for $299 (down from original price of $499.). That's a pretty awesome deal.

Tempted.
Old August 14th, 2015, 09:21 AM   #39
Major Player

I just got a used (like new) Solo from B&H for $260 shipped. As with all Tiffen-Steadicam products, it is nicely packaged with a detailed instruction manual. The build quality is excellent.

The biggest issue for me– and something I wanted to overlook compared to using a Merlin– is that one can realistically fly this for short periods of time before ones wrists give out. I think to really get the most out of this thing, investing in the arm and vest is required.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 02:34 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Just watched Rick Young's new 30-minute video review of the Steadicam Solo (on his well known and respected moviemachine.tv site - I won't post a direct link here out of respect to Chris).

Shows him filming all around central London with a JVC LS-300. Well worth watching if anyone is considering this device. Not sure what my wrist would feel like after extended use - especially with a camera on it near its top end weight limit.

However, for the price it looks great!... Much less than I paid for my, now little used, Steadicam Merlin - and a LOT less than I recently paid for my Letus Helix Jr. Mind you, the Letus is a fantastic bit of kit!

The Solo sure looks like a very well designed/engineered Steadicam for anyone on a tight budget and has the added flexibility of that built in monopod too. Nice!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; February 2nd, 2016 at 04:00 AM. Reason: typos/adding info
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #41
Major Player

I have a steadicam flycam HD-3000. So what could be the advantage of this steadicam solo to another steadicam?

Those steadycams looks all the same to me. A 3 axis gimbal looks a way step up from what I already have.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)