Insurance -- the big discussion thread - Page 27 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 14th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #391
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Harmon View Post
This is an audio equipment question, to generalize it and put it in this thread hurts me.
No, it ain't an audio equipment question. It's a general business question, and obviously a good one (just look at how big this thread is). Please use the *entire* site. If you want responses from audio folks, just say so -- but the topic definitely belongs in Taking Care of Business. We want our members to use all of what DV Info Net has to offer. Thanks for understanding,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:36 PM   #392
Trustee

Insurance for camera kit in UK.

Hi,can anyone recommend an insurance provider for camera and kit,i'm in the uk.
I need insurance for theft,accidental damage and public liabilty.
Has anyone had to make a claim and if so how did you get on ?
What sort of monthly/yearly premium should i expect to pay for around £10k worth of kit ?
Also has anyone had any bad experiences with any insurances companies,which i'd be better off avoiding.
Thanks.
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:49 AM   #393
Major Player

Hi Paul - Couple of English companies for you to try...

Imaging Insurance - tel:01784 486890
email: info@imaginginsurance.co.uk

Morgan Richardson Ltd - tel:01277 630666
email: quotes@morganrichardson.co.uk

You will find that you can choose various types of cover that will of course alter the cost.

Regarding liability cover... make sure you are covered for the kind of work you are doing, in some cases for example you will not be able to tender for certain contracts if you do not have 5 million cover.... and so on.

The two companies above regularly advertise in various professional journals... to date we have not had any need to make a claim so I can't comment on that...

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.com
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #394
Trustee

Thanks matey,i'll give them a try.
Paul.
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #395
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Nistler View Post
of course if you are the production company, they let your conscious be your guide!

Regards, Michael
Very true Michael.
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #396
Inner Circle

Dear Anna,

If you have an insurance agent, ask about an "Inland Marine" policy or rider to your homeowners insurance.

I have one to cover my gear.

My insurance agent told me that I would not have been able to get this if I did not have a good insurance record.

In other words, if one files frequent insurance claims, then it is unlikey that that person would be approved for an "Inland Marine" policy.
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #397
Major Player

This post (the one I quote) is about a year old - the most recent I could find on this topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
1 Million in Liability coverage. If your not with State Farm now, give them a call, cuz they will give you multicoverage discount with your house, cars, business, etc...
I tried. My State Farm agent told me they don't have anything to cover liability for video/film - a bit surprising after I read the above post.

I've been quite happy with State Farm in general, so this was disappointing news. If anyone is willing to provide a little more detail on what exactly they got through State Farm (so that I can take that information to my agent and ask him to get me something similar), I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks,
Martin
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #398
Regular Crew

Insurance for my video biz - Any recommendations?

After repeated screw ups from my soon to be fired insurance agent, I need to find a new insurance agent/company for my business. It's pretty basic, I need a million in liability coverage and of course equipment coverage. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #399
Regular Crew

Think about separating the two issues into two individual policies. I use Haulmark trailers to move my gear from shoot to shoot. I use State Farm to insure the trailers and get a personal effects policy to cover the "personal property" that is inside the trailer (as contents are not automatically covered as many might naturally think) I never use the name of my company as to this insurance, only the production insurance goes under the company name. For this I shop around and use a low cost vendor with a large deductible to keep costs down. Once I had my production trailer damaged on set by a tow truck and the policies worked fine for me.
R. L. Appling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #400
Inner Circle

RVNuccio dot com is fairly reasonable. Everything is done online including the C of I you get. The policy is backed by Firemans Insurance. I've never filed a claim but I've been happy with the price and the response to questions.
YMMV

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:40 AM   #401
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
RVNuccio dot com is fairly reasonable. Everything is done online including the C of I you get. The policy is backed by Firemans Insurance. I've never filed a claim but I've been happy with the price and the response to questions.
YMMV

Don
I was wondering about RVNuccio. I am a little skeptical about doing something as serious as insurance online. Its nice to talk to a warm body concerning these matters. Do you know of anyone that has ever filed a claim?
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:28 AM   #402
Inner Circle

they do have a CS department and you can talk to them but you might have to wait on hold for a bit. With everyone doing business online I don't think they have too many people in CS anymore. Like I said, I haven't filed a claim and frankly I don't know anyone that has either but I've had them covering me for the last 5 or 6 years and it's worked just fine.

Don
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #403
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
they do have a CS department and you can talk to them but you might have to wait on hold for a bit. With everyone doing business online I don't think they have too many people in CS anymore. Like I said, I haven't filed a claim and frankly I don't know anyone that has either but I've had them covering me for the last 5 or 6 years and it's worked just fine.

Don

I hate to point out that until you have a claim you don't know if it's working all right or not. Only when you have a cheque in your hands promptly after filing a claim and it doesn't bounce when you deposit in your bank will you know your insurance is working just fine. Many people have thought they were covered only to find their claims rejected for some reason or the other when they needed it. One biggee is covering equipment or property used for business purposes under a home-owners policy - many of them cover property used for hobbies but explicitly exclude any property used in a home-based or freelance business. In addition to equipment loss and liability, auto policies also can be an issue when you use a personal vehicle for business purposes, either your own business or an employer's. I've known people who were in auto accidents while driving their personal vehicle on errands for their employer whose claims were denied on that basis - get in an accident driving to the office you're covered but get in one while popping over to Staples mid-morning to pick up some paper for the copier, you're not.
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #404
Inner Circle

I agree but by the same token RVNuccio is a very large broker house that covers many DJs and photogs plus they've been around for quite a while.
Frankly until I can find , if I can find, someone else, who's the same type of money and coverage, they're the ones I'll go with.
If I ever have to file a claim I suppose I'll find out just how good they are.

Hopefully I'll never have to find out.

Don
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #405
Major Player

Be careful with RVNuccio coverage.

It specifically states that you are NOT covered if you:

Make commercials, short films, documentaries, etc.

It's pretty much only good if you're a wedding or event videographer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business