Anyone have any downloadable "film looked" video they've done (In mpg2 or such) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old November 26th, 2003, 03:22 PM   #16
RED Problem Solver

I'm only developing for Final Cut Pro at the moment. It would take more resources than I can muster (day job and all) to look beyond that at the moment, and quite frankly, I'm developing for myself first and foremost. Most of the filters I've written are because I wanted them for my own projects. I wanted a decent film look but thought that the Magic Bullet was way over-priced for what it did. I wanted a standards conversion that fitted in with my workflow, so that meant not leaving FCP.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 03:31 PM   #17
Trustee

Man, I could talk to you all day about filters and post prod effects!!! What do you think about Synthetic Aperature's "Color Finese" and Grain Surgery? I'm looking for something similar to tweak color and remove grain to go along with my mini35 services that I'm offering. The images on my site look great, but under less ideal conditions it will probably be necessary that I perform more correction in post.

You've really been a blast to talk with, it's great that you've developed your own tools for your own purpose.

Keep in touch, maybe we'll collaborate on a future project!
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 04:32 PM   #18
Trustee

Dennis, what deinterlacing software would you recommend? VirtualDub's filters are free and they seem pretty good, but DVFilm Maker seems to be one of the highly recommended ones.

Cheers
Aaron
Old November 26th, 2003, 05:38 PM   #19
Regular Crew

thanks for the reply dennis, and the thread ( so much to learn, so many options/ decisions ) also e-mailed you at star, looking forward to your reply.
Joe Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 06:47 PM   #20
Trustee

Aaron - I like Cinemotion but it works as a plug in to Adobe After Effects so you need time to understand all the settings and field options, otherwise your footage will look worse. Quality-wise I think DV film is as good if not better than Cinemotion and the best part of all is it is a stand alone program. You just drag and drop your AVI file to it and let it render to another AVI file. That is the cool part.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2003, 12:33 PM   #21
Trustee

Aaron, just wanted to say you're not alone. I've deinterlaced in Vegas and the footage looks washed out, with a significant loss
of resolution. It doesn't look like film at all; it looks like bad video.
Would DVFilm Maker be any better? After all, isn't it just doing the
same thing my NLE is doing? What's the advantage to that program?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #22
RED Problem Solver

There are many different ways of de-interlacing, and each program uses it's own.

A de-interlace should never alter the colour or tonal balance of an image. If it's doing this then it's broken.

A de-interlacer will reduce resolution. A normal de-interlacer which duplicates fields will loose half of the vertical resolution over the entire image.

If it uses blending it will reduce the resultion, but by a lesser amount, and again it will be over the entire image.

A smart de-interlacer will leave the vast bulk of the image alone, retaining full resolution over most of the image. Only in areas of visible interlacing or movement will it reduce the resolution, and ony by a small amount if the algorithm is well written.

Smart de-interlacing looks great, but will take a little longer to compute.

Graeme
Old November 29th, 2003, 01:14 PM   #23
Trustee

I think, though not sure, that Vegas just offers blend and interpolate. Does DVFilm Maker offer smart deinterlacing?
Old November 29th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #24
RED Problem Solver

I think DV film Maker is a smart de-interlacer.

Graeme
Old November 29th, 2003, 04:38 PM   #25
Trustee

Yeah DVFilm Maker is a smart deinterlacer. I've tried the Smooth deinterlacer plugin for virtualdub and it's not too bad, and free compared to DVFilm. I'll do a couple more tests and if I think DV is better I'll just buy it.

One thing I've noticed though, there is a definate contrast change after a deinterlacer has had it's hands on the footage. Well at least on the ones I've used. DVFilm, Smooth Deinterlacer etc.

Cheers guys
Aaron
Old December 1st, 2003, 05:14 PM   #26
Major Player

Here, there is a sample using my homemade 35mm system, and magic bullet and look suite.

http://altoque.tv/35mmAdapter/moto35mmfilmtest2.mov
Agus Casse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 05:18 PM   #27
Trustee

Thanks Agus. Can't wait to get home and look at it on a tele.

Thanks
Aaron
Old December 1st, 2003, 05:20 PM   #28
Major Player

i dont have the webpage space, but i can upload it at higher res to where and ever format you would like it
Agus Casse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 05:51 PM   #29
Trustee

Thanks, Agus. Nice clip. So in 100 words or less, what's the secret? Help all us out who can't get nowhere the way we're doing it. What would you recommend for a person who doesn't have Magic Bullet?
Old December 1st, 2003, 06:00 PM   #30
Major Player

1. Levels set it to 1.2
2. Curves, make a S type
3. Desaturate
4. Curves, pull down a little the Blue one...

I am making a new video without magic bullet too show you can get almost same look.
Agus Casse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production