DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Is FrameForge worth buying for storyboarding? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/537015-frameforge-worth-buying-storyboarding.html)

Brian Drysdale November 11th, 2019 02:59 PM

Re: Is FrameForge worth buying for storyboarding?

Bear in mind that nearly every indie film doesn't have any marketing, so very few people know anything about it. To progress further it needs to stand out in the film festivals and from your pitch here, so far, it doesn't seem to have that stand out quality.

Ryan Elder November 11th, 2019 03:05 PM

Yeah, perhaps I need to work on my pitch then.

Pete Cofrancesco November 11th, 2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Elder (Post 1954748)
That's just it, I don't know, what is so much about mine. It's about a group of serial rapist/killers going around committing crimes, and one of the victims wants revenge, and investigates to find out more about the mystery villain, but this has been kind of controversy has been done before, and I didn't think I was going too over the top with it at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson (Post 1954749)
Not a new story, but personally I'd run a mile from it. Have you any experience of this subject? I find it difficult to understand how you think this will work. Finding the actor and actress to do the rape scenes will be tricky. Those that can do it will not want to do it with a novice director. I'm not actually sure I could do a decent job - despite having some experience with people who have been raped. Maybe this means I would be unable to do a good job. Looking at the people who work for me regularly, quite a few would probably become busy quickly and not want to do it either. Your friends seem to be interested in making movies for fun, rather than as a career role - this one doesn't sound fun at all.

I hate to be negative but Ryan I've never met a person with worse instincts and judgement. I keep saying to myself this has got to be someone trolling because I've never heard anything so outlandish.

Ryan Elder November 11th, 2019 07:23 PM

Why what's wrong? I seriously don't mean to troll, I am actually just trying to do the best I can. What's so outlandish?

Brian Drysdale November 12th, 2019 02:38 AM

At the moment you seem to be making a rape revenge movie, which is a police procedural. Who is the protagonist in this film, the cops or the rape victim wanting revenge? It all seems unclear.

Ryan Elder November 12th, 2019 06:42 AM

The victim is the main character, but the police investigation also plays a part, and the victim uses the investigation as part of the revenge plan. It's also there to give the protagonist and villains, more obstacles and challenges in the plot. Perhaps police procedural or rape revenge film are not the correct genre terms, and I could just say it's a thriller, or maybe it's all those combined...

Josh Bass November 12th, 2019 01:25 PM

In poor Ryan’s defense, Law & Order SVU has been on for approximately one billion years and is entirely focused on sex crimes, and Criminal Minds has been on for about 750 million years and often does as well. So there’s obviously an audience for that material. I’d say it’s all how you handle it. Yes, 10 minute scenes showing the actual assaults will probably turn many people off, but if you focus on the cat and mouse aspect of the story, the mystery, the hunt, the chase, etc. it could be much more palatable.

Brian Drysdale November 12th, 2019 02:46 PM

There's a number of ways to handle the subject matter, it doesn't be pure exploitation in nature, although many low budget indie films tend to go that direction for the sales.

Ryan Elder November 12th, 2019 06:27 PM

Yep I definitely don't want it to be exploitative and pictured it something more like Law and Order, accept characters break the law in it to get justice more.

However, the filmmakers I worked with before really, don't want to be part of it, and keep saying I should find some other script to direct. However, I was also told that I would probably do a better job as a director, if I chose the script I like the most, because then you are more passionate about the story and your heart's into it more. So should I choose this one and see who else is up for wanting to make it as well, in the sense that I am more passionate about it, compared to other scripts I have access to?

Pete Cofrancesco November 12th, 2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1954781)
In poor Ryan’s defense, Law & Order SVU has been on for approximately one billion years and is entirely focused on sex crimes, and Criminal Minds has been on for about 750 million years and often does as well. So there’s obviously an audience for that material. I’d say it’s all how you handle it. Yes, 10 minute scenes showing the actual assaults will probably turn many people off, but if you focus on the cat and mouse aspect of the story, the mystery, the hunt, the chase, etc. it could be much more palatable.

He actually had a thread taken down by the moderator months back on this subject. And of course he wanted to film the rape scene in graphic detail. Ryan is always trying to run before learning to walk. And yes the whole judgement thing...

Josh Bass November 12th, 2019 09:37 PM

My bad. Somehow I missed that one. And I’ve been following The Chronicles of Elder for at LEAST six months. I thought I’d seen every episode.

Pete Cofrancesco November 12th, 2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1954792)
My bad. Somehow I missed that one. And I’ve been following The Chronicles of Elder for at LEAST six months. I thought I’d seen every episode.

Thread wasn’t up very long, I just happened to catch it before it was deleted.

Normally for a film festival you should be trying to show one’s creativity. In Ryan case I think his goal should be scaled back to just a movie that proves he can execute something that works plain and simple. He doesn’t need to reinvent the wheel just something that is competent.

Ryan Elder November 12th, 2019 10:45 PM

Oh was my thread before taken down? I didn't notice it was taken down before. Sorry if I was out of line before, or now. I apologize and mean no disrespect.

And no I am not trying to re-invent the wheel, am I?

Paul R Johnson November 13th, 2019 01:07 AM

No, but it's a foolish project for an inexperienced director, because of the subject matter. Done well, these movies work, maybe, but done badly you get every pressure group chasing you, and negative comments that do an aspiring new director no good whatsoever. A genre hard to do well, and easy to do very, very badly.

It seems that it's many steps too far, too early.

Brian Drysdale November 13th, 2019 02:23 AM

It's a subject that requires great acting from the cast for it to work, At the moment, the film seems to have a car shoot out and various other scenes that will eat up your budget, plus a short schedule. It's all pretty demanding stuff and from experience, unless you've got a production team back in the office, it's very hard to go beyond a week of filming without taking a break in the shoot to organize the next week's filming.