Another Glasgwegian at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old January 1st, 2008, 05:29 PM   #1
Trustee

Another Glasgwegian

Hi, I'm a new member to this list but I've "been informed" on numerous occasions before as a guest. I'm Head of Music in a Glasgow school where I promote the use of DV in education. If anyone is interested here's some further background:

Did some freelance audio recordings of concerts and events in the 1970s (the gigs the sensible guys didn't want!) for broadcast and private use. Have been a keen still photographer since the mid 1960s and started on Super 8 film in the 70s.

I think the film experience was very valuable because the relatively huge cost of the stock (3 minute reels) made it necessary to plan and practice every shot before doing a take. Editing was relatively easy though.

I think I probably pioneered (no pun) wedding videos around these parts in the early 80's on hired equipment (over the shoulder camera, suitcase sized VHS recorder and separate suitcase sized battery pack!). In these days I used to edit in the camera - live broadcast style, with an order of service, flowers, several hymnbooks etc all placed ready within reach to use as "cutaways". I think the strain on my assistants was probably excessive as they always looked traumatised after the shoot and needed several stiff drinks to recover. It was fun and the results were always well received but I wouldn't like to try that now.

in the late 1980s and early 90's I used to do a fair bit on Panasonic M series shoulder mounted VHS camcorders. They were nicely balanced and easy to use for long periods but editing of any quality was very expensive and I became frustrated at not being able to afford my own facilities or justify the cost to the school.

When DV came along we got right in there with Sony camcorders. The school bought a DCR-TRV11E and I acquired a DCR-TRV25E for my own department. I bought a Mac PowerBook and things really took off. After that I was able to justify the purchase of some desktop macs to do the audio and video tasks that our minimally specified contract IT system couldn't begin to look at.

When the possibilities of DV started to get through to the senior management a Videonics (now Focus Enhancements) MX4 DV was authorised and we now have quite young pupils happily doing live multicamera mixing during school productions as well as "normal" editing on iMovie.

We host regular promotion concerts for various up-and-coming bands and solo artists and always record their performances. We have no shortage of material for filming and editing, and some of our efforts have been used by the bands/artists.

I recently became a little fed up with slumming it on consumer cameras, and treated myself to an XH-A1 and accessories.

Sorry this is so long but with 24.5K members something in it might be of interest to someone.

Happy New Year
(Lang may your lum reek)

Colin McDonald
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Major Player

I was born in 81 and i wish i had had a teacher like you at my school!, i did a fair bit of panasonic m work in college as well along with reel to reel editing which sucked!. Unfortunately my college never upgraded to digital untill after i graduated :(, anyway at least they had a couple of nle's to work on even if it was only premiere 6.

I now have a nice studio set up with a mac g5 quad and a jvc HD100.

Anyway Happy christmas and new year to you.......my lum's reekin as we speak, you canny beat the old way o heatin yer hame!
Old December 21st, 2008, 12:44 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Andy. I posted that last New Year year so it's almost time to repeat the seasonal greetings. I'll start with the Merry Christmas bit. (Please spare a thought for us here on Christmas day as tiny clanger McDonald age 11 finds he has finally got the electric guitar he has been wanting for ages. I am glad I have a set of Senny HD25s which make great earplugs).

Merry Christmas to all n DV info.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood