What do you do for a living? - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old October 31st, 2004, 11:05 PM   #166
Regular Crew

Hi,

Here's my drop in the cosmic sea:

I moved to LA after college and after a few months of working on low budget films I went to work for a company that produces advertising for studio films in the form of trailers that you see in the movie theaters. Eventually I moved up to editor, then moved on to edit a low, low budget film called, City Dragon. I was brought on after 95% of the film was already "in the can." It was two weeks of post hell accompanied with plenty of extra srength Tylenol! I think it ranks up there with Plan 9...
The best thing that came out of this experience is that I met my wife on the set of the very last scene they shot.

Anyway, I have done some promotional photography for a few circuit bands in the LA area and got some MTV airtime producing and editing a music video for a band called, "MC Kung Fu and the Homedogs."
Right now I have a little script optioned for two years called, "Vigilante Granny" and I'm currently the sole in-house video media person for a division of Northrop Grumman.
Right, right now I have just gotten word that a humanities documentary that my wife and I proposed to a grant foundation has just passed the first round of cuts. Whew!
Grant writing is a lot of work!

Enough of me!

A Quote for Us Editors: Yes, I'm a great editor, but I don't have a magic wand, so fix it on the god *#*# set!
Scott Ellifritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #167
New Boot

Hi guys!

I'm new to the site and to dv altogether. I'm living in Italy where I work as a researcher. You'll probably see my posts around in the future asking a lot of dumb questions.
Brian Arwari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 05:36 AM   #168
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Brian! Good to have you with us.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 12:55 AM   #169
Tourist

My deal

Wow. I’ve just read all 12 pages of bios. Amazing stories, for sure. Originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, I came down to go to undergraduate school at UCLA (music composition). After graduating, I worked as PA for some Disney Channel shows, then on a low budge feature that never got off the ground, then got a PA gig on the TV show “Malcolm in the Middle.” I moved up to writers’ assistant and have been working there steadily for the past 4 1/2 years. The hours can be long and it can be quite stressful but I feel like I’ve learned a lot about writing.

Some money fell into my lap (got a story credit on the show) so I bought a DVX100 and a G4 with FCP. I produced and directed a short film (comedy) and this year shot a music video. I’ll try submitting to festivals, but I’m not sure how fruitful that will be. I have no aspirations to write for situation comedy but absolutely love writing and directing my own projects.

Not sure what’s next for me. I’m thinking about breaking off and trying to start a production company, but 1) I have little to no interest in non narrative formats and 2) I’m not sure I’m ready to go freelance 3) I don’t know quite enough about the technical side of things. Reading these posts by everyone certainly is helping clarify some things for me. And it’s very inspiring, for sure. Thanks.

Bill
Bill Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #170
RED Code Chef

Thankyou for your story as well Bill and welcome aboard!

Old November 13th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #171
Tourist

I'm an information services/finance jack of all trades, master of none for a large French Fry manufacturer in Atlantic Canada.... "yawn" but it pays the bills... Growing up on the outskirts of Halifax NS in the late 70's early 80's, I had become best friends with Mike C. who is the creator, writer, director, producer of the Canadian comedy hit, cult phenomenon show called Trailer Park Boys, airing on showcase and most recently BBC America. Perhaps you've heard of it. He also produced and directed a music video for the Tragically Hip (The Darkest One featuring Don Cherry and the TPBs). He also has done many other projects. Anyways my point is, every chance I get, I hang out on the set. It's a great learning experience. Most recently, he put me in front of the camera as an extra for the Christmas special that will air in December, as menial as the part was.... BAM, euphoria struck.

Last year he and I were suckin' down refreshments and talking about old times when he convinced me to start writing stuff down. To try my hand at screenwriting. I bought the book "Story" by Robert McKee(highly recommended), and I took up the challenge. I've written a fair bit of stuff and I don't think I'll ever be done rewriting. I enjoy it a great deal. Much like when I taught myself to paint, and play guitar.

Also last year, I bought myself a Canon 1CCD dv camcorder(plugs nose, but great for a 1CCD and the money spent). I began shooting everything in site. Nephews birthday parties, family reunion, and even just nature shots, crowds on the busy sidewalk, a junky old car coming down the street with thick blue smoke coming out of it... just anything. With Pinnacle Studio I'd edit, put stuff together and got that great feeling of wow... look what I did. Even if the quality was grainy, I enjoyed it nevertheless. I just bought a Sony VX2000 and ready for serious business now.

My friends success in the film industry is an inspiration. With a vision, dedication, determination, a laptop on his lap, and a camera in his hand... he struck gold. I'm very proud of him. It could not have happened to a nicer and more deserving fella'. Success has not changed him, and I'd still want to be his friend even if he was eating left over pizza crusts behind the King of Donair.

Of course I never for a minute expect the same success that TPB has brought him. For now, I'm not sure I'd want the responsibility, or the pressure that he deals with from the network. He works HARD! But I love the feel of the camera in my hand, and even being in front of it. I also love editing... it's awesome.

I'm now obsessed with one of my scripts and who knows, maybe someday will produce it. I'm also currently collaborating with another friend, a University professor of creative writing, at producing a documentary.

So for now, I love the craft and am playing along. It makes me feel good and happy. Shouldn't that be what it's all about?

peace crackah!
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:37 AM   #172
RED Code Chef

Welcome Dan and thank you for writing your introduction!
Good luck with your projects!

Old November 24th, 2004, 02:44 AM   #173
New Boot

TV has been very very good to me

Who doesn't love to talk about themselves? I'll admit it, I never want to seem like I'm all mighty but if you want to listen I'll tell.

Start with the present:
I am 29 years-old, I am a staff Online Editor (Symphony) at Riot Pictures in Santa Monica. My dept. is called Final FX and there we sometimes offline, mostly online and audio finish for the FX Cable Network (you know, The Shield, Nip Tuck, etc.). We have two Symphony Bays, Pro Tools TDM and a 2.5 tb Avid Unity Storage. HD? No, but we have a ton of it downstairs, I'll get to that. The Symphony's work great, never have problems. The Unity is unbelievable, that thing has not been turned off in over a year and we have never had a single problem (keep my fingers crossed). I work in the evenings 6pm to 2am, however The Producers never stay past 10pm and if I finish all my work, I'm out of there. I do some freelance work during the day (since my schedule abliges). I get calls pretty regularly lately for jobs. I don't take a job if they can't guarentee me that I'll be out by 5:30pm my full-time gig is the most important, but I try to do as many as I can and if I can't, I do my best to refer them to very capable editors that I know. I got one of my friends so much work he started to call me his agent. I'm not one of those "in it for only me" type editors If your a good editor and we are friends I will do my best to get you work. What goes around comes around, take my word for it.

I am very happy today because I got a call from one of the places I freelance at regularly. I usually work there with a producer friend (FOX Sports) that I met at an old job, I take care of her with the ut-most professionalism. I am all about service, if you haven't figured out that the client is everything yet, stick to your paper route. I'm not one of those egotistical editors that treats people especially the ones below me badly. If you treat everyone good all of the time you will get work! I'm proof. You might be working for you old assistant or the girl/guy in client services one day (they usually end up as producers) if you treat them good from the beginning they will always want to work with you.

Back to the call. The Post Coord. offered me a two day 20hr job to Online a TV show. She has a long list of Editors that she can call, with probably more exp., why me? I'll tell you. Because whenever she needs me to come in, a last minute session, a half day or even a hour, if I'm available, consider it done. Service with a smile. By the way the job pay $100 an hour.

Its for real guy/girls. There is a ton of money to be made in Post Production. How do you get the jobs? Treat people with respect the knowedge to do your work should be a given, there are plenty of excellent editors out there and many more learning everyday. It is competitive, but I am not afraid to help someone out, to teach someone that wants to learn. Their are a number of editors, 3D Artists, etc. that will not share their craft. I think thats BS. They are afraid of losing there job to some young punk that owns Xpress Pro, well guess what, thats me and hard work, good relations, great service and reliablity goes a long way. Another thing I can't tell you how much work I've gotten because I am willing to work nights and weekends.

I attended CSUN and graduated with a BS in Radio-Television-Film. They have a great program there and they recently got a new build with some amazing studios, foley rooms, and green screen studio and a bunch of NLE's. For TV CSUN is the place to go. If film is your thing you probably want to check out USC or UCLA, but I can't begin to tell you how many people I have met in this industry that went to CSUN. I took two internships my last year at Northridge and I got two job offers. One was from a company that had just signed to produce, crew and run 18 video boards at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics. They needed young hungry editors, it was the ultimate example of right place, right time, and busting my but to learn Avid. I have never been an assistant, I worked in the vault for 3 months (while in college). I got a full-time editing gig right out of school, 25 and green as heck. I did what ever it took and when I left that company with my meager exp. and young face I had to bust my but to get work in the freelance realm. But guess what, I took a job cutting promo for a TV show, graveyard, 12 hours a night and morning, a managing producer from hell, but I did it. And when FX came calling I worked for them full-time during the day and and finished off that comitment to that promo job working there 10 hours a night, 4 night a week. Did that for 4 months. You want the jobs, that's what it takes and you better never start thinking you are the ultimate editor because the way this industry works, the technology is ever growing and you had better be obsessed with learning. I'll still take classes at Video Symphony in Toluca Lake, regularly, Califonia picks up the tab if you work fulltime in post, and if your from out of town, check with you local Gov. I have a friend here from Paris whose taking a boatload of classes all paid for by the French Government.

I wish you all the best of luck, I hope everyones dreams come true as mine have. But if you're after my job you had better be on your game because I can do it faster, I charm the pants off the lady Producers (not literally) I get the job done and I'll come in at midnight if your paying.

Respect!
Scott
Old November 24th, 2004, 07:20 AM   #174
RED Code Chef

A warm welcome to you as well Scott! Good to have you with us
and enjoy your stay here at DVInfo.net. Thank you for your inroduction!

Old December 17th, 2004, 09:57 AM   #175
New Boot

Hello Andrew,
Being that I am new, and my first reply, I guess this is a good one to start with. I'm 45, live just outside Los Angeles (on a clear day I can see the Hollywood sign) in a city called Whittier. I have played with video for about 20 years now and I love it more n' more everyday. My R E A L job is driving around this crazy place... Man, I mean crazy too! But now I am getting into the post thing after all these years. Just got me a GL2 from B&H that I am told it will be here on the 21st. Can't wait. So from VHS to 8mm and now... Whoohooo! Got a few ideas in the mix so we'll see. Anyway... Good to meet you and all the rest.

Motion Synonymous To Thought
stickandmove.org
Jeff Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 06:05 AM   #176
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Jeff, good to have you with us!

Old December 21st, 2004, 02:51 PM   #177
Regular Crew

Hey y'all.

My name's Curtis Gwinn. I am a writer, comedian and actor living in NYC. I started out by doing sketch and improv comedy at the Upright Citizens Brigade theater here in New York, and through that got a freelance writing job with The Man Show on Comedy Central. Since then I've performed both in front of the camera and behind it as a writer for TV and film.

Currently I'm writing comedy video games for ATARI, and percolating movie ideas for myself.

Ever since I was a kid I dreamed of being a filmmaker, and now I'm going for it.

Three cheers for the courage of ignorance!
Old December 21st, 2004, 10:08 PM   #178
MPS Digital Studios

Welcome aboard, Curtis! Hope we can help!

heath
Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:38 AM   #179
Major Player

hi,
my name is ed liew from malaysia. i'm into video production - corporate video, product video, corparate events coverage... have been doing this for more then 14 years now. enjoy the experience gain from meeting and working people from all over.
like these forum very much and many thanks to all the folks whom i've met here. appreciate all the help and knowledge learn.

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 02:17 AM   #180
Regular Crew

Well my name is Brad Mills, and what do I do...

I'm 22, and a recent graduate of the Humber School of Comedy Writing & Performance in Toronto.

I've been writing & performing on stage since I was 8, starting off with a Magic & Clown show in Cape Breton.

I do some standup occasionally & I'm in a sketch troup that performs at some clubs & theaters around the city.

However, I've been feeling the call of film for the past year, as I'm feeling unfulfilled with stage acting. I want to get my film carreer going and eventually move back to stage.

I've written 2 screenplays in the past 4 months, and I've got investor interest in my most recent comedy horror SP, which I'll hopefully be filming in Cape Breton in the summer.

I'm from Sydney, Nova Scotia - and I'm not used to the flow of big city life here in Toronto, I long for the day that I'll be able to be financially stable enough to move back home, but for now Toronto's apparently the best place for me.
Brad Mills is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood