What do you do for a living? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old July 5th, 2003, 12:11 PM   #76
New Boot

Decision

Hey Carolyn,

Thanks for your input, my wife was reading over my shoulder and it almost made her cry reading about it. After reading on the forums about how much time, equipment, effort, money, advertising and will one has to put in to sustain a videography business, I decided to hang on to my full time job and likely give up on videography for a while. Weddings simply take too long to edit, and you're right about still having to take the time to go out there to network and shoot. It's going to be my first and probably last child, so it's a time that I will have to treasure. Thanks for the advice.
Nicky Loi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 07:36 AM   #77
New Boot

Hi Nicky,

Please don't give up on videography. You obviously like the art. You've gone to school to learn about it and you run a video business. Of course the full time job pays the bills so your must do that. But if you're like me and others on this board, video feeds your soul. So you must not give up on it.

So how do you continue with video while you work full time? Shoot footage of your wife, your baby, your dog, shoot a movie for the baby about how you prepared for him. Another way to keep your hands in the business, shoot family albums. Folks will pay to have their photos transferred to video along with music. Shoot inventories, its always nice to have a video tape with all of your possessions on it. I'm sure you can come up with other ways to keep your hands in video.

You'll soon find out that video gets into your blood and you can not walk away from it.

Take care,
Carolyn
Carolyn Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #78
New Boot

No worries

Hi Carolyn,

Don't worry, you won't be the person responsible for talking me out of videography. Before I did it for business, I did a lot of it for pure pleasure. Tried to do a lot of film festivals as well, been moderately successful with it. Besides, once I get the backlog of weddings done, I still have my friend's wedding to finish, followed by a lot of abandoned video footage I've got. And then my baby boy will probably be well documented on video. I fear it may make him narcissitic!

But here's a link to one of my short films.

http://hamsterwheel1.tripod.com

Click on the "Duel" icon, sorry, but direct links don't work in Tripod. But thanks for your concern and advice. I do appreciate it very much!

Sincerely, Nicky
Old July 10th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #79
Major Player

this certainly is a community

Hello everyone.
My name is Nicholi, i'm from Oklahoma City, and I love my imagination.
That's basically how I became involved with video. I started playing with my grandfather's video camera in 7th or 8th grade. At that point, making people disappear from the screen was about as complicated as it got. Years later, during my third year of college, I dropped my engineering major and headed straight to the broadcasting department. Here, I was introduced to the linear editor, which led to numerous skits and goofy short films. For the next 3 1/2 years (I had to play catch up from non-transferred credits), I practically lived in the edit bays at school, and recently earned my bachelor's in broadcast production, which isn't film but has similar applications. After a couple years of working and saving every penny (almost literally), I gathered enough funds to buy my own camcorder and editor. The camcorder (GL2) and accessories have drifted into the mailbox over the past few weeks. The computer (Apple G4, FCP) will be shipped soon.
During school I worked at the university television station, a job that paid very little money but provided much needed experience. The station basically revolves around its newscast (live every evening at 5:00), where I began running camera, then worked my way up to director and technical director. That went on for about two years until I attended an internship at a production company. There was a lot to learn there as well.
I finally graduated about 6 months ago and have been working a job installing security cameras (its about time I answered the original posted question), but that is almost done. I turned in my notice last week, and after next thursday I will be spending all day with my new camcorder. Needless to say, I have some serious catching up to do.
I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. My plan is to absorb anything and everything related to dv. I doubt I'll be making any descent amount of money, so I'm considering this as an excellent opportunity to build a resume/portfolio.
I'll be the first to admit - I am a tech-junkie. I'm very intrigued by the internet and its possibilities, which means dv is right up my alley. I love the MPEG-4 format. The idea of instant worldwide exposure is so appealing to me. I will be part of it.
So that's me in a nutshell. This is my first ever post (on any forum) and I'm still trying to figure out exactly how all of this works. I just hope this reply was written correctly.
After reading only a few posts, I've already learned how valuable this resource is. I really respect the term "community" and hope to eventually return the favor by providing some information that may be useful to others. But, for now, I've got some reading to do.
Thanks in advance to everyone,
Nicholi
Nicholi Brossia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 07:07 AM   #80
New Boot

Welcome aboard, Nicholi! Its good to meet you. Have fun with your new camera and edit system.
Old July 12th, 2003, 04:05 PM   #81
Wrangler

Once a farmer's daughter, now a farmer's wife, I live in what used to be a rural area. My job is to keep the books in order and the government satisfied. (I like the IRS form, short version: 1. How much did you earn this year? 2. Send it in.)

We grow onions, alfalfa seed, wheat, corn seed--stuff like that. The only "livestock" are three border collies, four cats, and two day-care dogs.

I co-founded an animal welfare group several years ago--hence the houseful of furry friends--but it got too sad and my husband got tired of me spending so much time and money on homeless pets. I retired, promising to do something that made money instead of just shelling it out. So, I got into DV in 2001. My hubby is still waiting...

When I was still researching, I stumbled across the XL1s Watchdog site. That's what convinced me to get my first camera, and what keeps me hanging around this forum bugging the daylights out of people. Thanks for the patience.

BTW, my only child is *sniff* heading off to a school called Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA next month. I'm driving with him, and staying nearby for ten days as a safety net (yeah, he's a mama's boy, but not for long, I'm thinkin'). If any shoots are going on in that area between Aug. 20-26, I'd love to watch, or even lend a hand.
Old July 21st, 2003, 03:22 PM   #82
New Boot

My name is Adarsh Dattani and I work in the Information Technology / Internet sector as a Systems Lead. Though not a beginner, I am an amateur in this field. My affair with Video Editing started three years back when I purchased a Sony Digital8 camcorder and started editing short 15 minute movies using Ulead Video Studio on Windows 98 [This I call the Elementary School of Video Editing].

I then graduated by purchasing the new Apple iMac and started doing 1 hour home videos with iMovie and iDVD [Let's say this is Junior school]. I recently got into High School after purchasing Final Cut Pro 4.0 and the Pana PVDV953. I now play a lot with the manual controls in the CAM and use FCP with some degree of comfort. Although, those who work on FCP probably know that the software offers much much more than what meets the eye.

I plan on spending the next year or so mastering Non-Linear Editing using Final Cut Pro and then step into the real "PRO" league where you use a gambit of software tools like Photoshop, FCP, After Effects etc. to make quality footage for broadcasts, films and documentaries.

I only recently stumbled upon this site and have been excited ever since. I visit some of the forums here atleast 5 times a day to get valuable tips. I don't plan on just taking from this site, I hope to contribute too pretty soon ! Thanks for putting together such an invaluable repository of DV information !!
Old August 4th, 2003, 12:52 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Hello my name is Rick and I live in Fort Lauderale.

I've been learking here for a while and I'm a television director and technical director working mostly in sports television throughout the country and overseas at times.

I have just purchased a PDX-10 which if they ship it soon will be my first DV camera. I have wanted a camera for years, but I knew I would be too demanding on cameras and their video output because of how I look at video in general. In otherwords I wanted something, small and compact (so I could through it in a bag, something the produced good quaility video (so I could use it on shows that I work on) and something that would not break the bank so to speak. A tall order for the cameras of yesterday.

I had been looking at the GS100 from Japan but decided against it. I love the size of the camera and the quaility of video it put out. Plus it delivers 3 megapixel stills which not many dv cameras do today at a very affordable price. The reason why I decided against it was it only had Japanese menus and I felt (while the video was great, even in low light) it would be frustrating when error messages came up and you needed to set something quickly especially in a low light situation.

This lead me to the next best choice ... the PDX-10. While reports of low light are also not the best.... I felt it was the next best choice especially the way it was contsructed and it's size. I also felt when a low light scene was posted that I could correct any lighting issues with the help of Final Cut Pro.

This leads me to the Mac.... I am a avid Mac user.... I believe the Mac is the best computer out there and while they are a little more expensive than the mainsteam PC's, Apple is leading the technology in every sense of the word. It is Apple that invented firewire, it was Apple that did away with floppy drives looking into the future of CD and DVD-R technology. The funny thing is, most every PC manufactuer followed in Apple's footsteps. Apple is a innovative company and Apple's software is so easy to use and it intergrates with each other. They have made it so easy not to mention the beautiful OSX platform and how stable it is. If you haven't seen what Apple is doing lately go to an Apple store and see... see how easy it. Once you see what you can do on a Mac .... you'll never go back.

So that is a little about me.... hope to share information with you here on these forums soon.

Best.... Rick.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 10:50 AM   #84
New Boot

Hi Rick,

Good to meet you. I also am a director. I've directed interview shows, performances, news, commercials, etc. I think "sports" is the most demanding genre to direct. What kind of sports do you direct?

Who makes the GS100 and is there a NTSC counterpart?

I also love the Mac. I'm currently editing in FCP on a G3 laptop. I'm planning to get the G5 with FCP 4. I'm now wavering between Avid w/Mojo and FCP 4. I shoot with the DVX 100.

Welcome aboard!

Carolyn
Old August 6th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Hi Carolyn:

Nice to meet you too. Looks like your just up to road a little bit from me.

Let's see you said govn't channel from a previous post ... you must be at Ch 20 in WPB. I did a demonstration there a while ago for ACCOM and their DVEous.
Small world!!!!

I did commercials years ago and worked for local TV station directing all types of shows which involved, interviews, music and I came from news even directing that more recently in Los Angeles. I've been working in sports television for the past 15 years. It's interesting and it can be very demanding because things move so fast and you have to be there in an instant or miss the shot. All things (camera assignments) have to click and people have to be on their mark (so to speak) for all of it to jive. I direct everything from Major League Baseball to College Football and more. I also directed for Major League Soccer and I'm mostly known as a Technical Director doing all pro sports as well. I try to balance the both, but it's not really easy sometimes.

The GS100 is made by Panasonic and it is NTSC. Not that it matters in today's digital world. The only problem with it is it only comes with Japanese menus and no firmware to change the language to English. It is the best thing I've seen for about 1000 dollars.

Your DVX 100 is a beautiful camera and I have seen some outstanding video from it. In fact I saw some today at Channel 4 - you can watch it yourself on Friday if you like - WFOR Dolphins game Friday night. All the interviews were shot on the DVX100. It is a very very nice camera from what I have seen. In fact WFOR is totally Mac based - they edit all their news stories on FCP and G4's .... pretty nice set up as it was my first time there.

As for mac.... I'm awaiting the new powerbooks and I can't actually wait.... Apple makes the best stuff and my current Powerbook G3 / OS9 / 400mgz is beginning to get old.

Anyway ... I've been learking here for a while so please say hello anytime and share some stories.

Cheers,

Rick.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 02:27 PM   #86
Inner Circle

Hi,

I'm an audio DSP programmer at nVidia, the 3D graphics chip company. My two main hobbies are martial arts, foremost, and
videography. I entered videography a couple of years ago when I assumed the burden of videotaping the fights and distributing movies. Now, my 2nd job is creating a DVD of the fights every two weeks. I use a Sony vx-2000 with basic accessories, and
an Athlon WindowsXP machine that runs Pinnacle Studio 8.
I do some audio and video cleanup in Vegas/SoundForge.
My goal is to create footage that is of broadcast quality with
the possiblity of some artistic elements.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2003, 04:18 AM   #87
Regular Crew

oh just a poor college student
trying to scrape together as professional a setup as i can

so far i got the powerbook g4 and the gl2 all within 4 months so im not doing too bad
Alan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2003, 07:10 AM   #88
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Alan Tran : oh just a poor college student
trying to scrape together as professional a setup as i can

so far i got the powerbook g4 and the gl2 all within 4 months so im not doing too bad -->>>

Hi Alan - welcome to the boards. It's nice to see another SoCal person.
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2003, 01:37 PM   #89
Regular Crew

where murrieta in respect to san diego
Alan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #90
Major Player

North. Up the 15 just above Temecula.
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood