What do you do for a living? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old March 17th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #46
RED Code Chef

I'll try to keep it "on-topic"... but... I've started a bit of game
development but never finished anything (that is worth viewing).
I'm really into corporate intranet building etc. at the moment.
I did make an audio application (that is being used by a good
friend of mine on a weekly basis) etc...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 01:52 PM   #47
Major Player

Good day to all.

What do I do for a living? The vast majority of my income comes from the robotic camera work that I do for network television sporting events. I install and run robotic cameras on the side of racetracks, on football goalposts, and at other sporting events. I love the robotics work for the travel, the people I meet, and the events that I cover (pro and college sports are awesome to watch if you've ever played sports or if your competative). It's one of those jobs that people never knew existed until their told and then everyone wants to do it (those of you who've seen robotics on some shows know what I'm talking about). I plan on doing it for years to come because it's a fulfilling job and a lot of fun. The travel is just incredible and I've seen places that I've always wanted to see because of the job. I've also met and learned from some of the best cameramen and crew in the country and that has been really awesome. On the downside it's like every other freelance job in that it can go away quickly and the work is there or it's not. I'll be busy for three months straight and then I'll be at home for two months. So the inconsistancy is a downside to the job.

What do I love to do for a living? Local video productions. News, weddings, church events. I really like to create and share with people locally who I know I'm having an impact on with my video. I got out of local news because of the pay, not because I didn't like the job. I loved the stories, the experience I gained, and the people I met. And I still create wedding video's because I have a real passion for creating videos that envoke a strong emotional response and tell a story. Telling stories through video/audio is what drives my local work and it helps open me to new ideas and people.

I'm working locally with my own equipment. A GL2, an old 500hz celeron desktop (yeah don't laugh it still gets the job done ^_^), a 1.4ghz laptop, Media Studio Pro, and the usual gear needed for production work like interviews and field producions.

Anyway, the robotics are my main stay and the local video work is my real passion. Both play an important role in my life and I enjoy the time I spend in each area.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 04:44 PM   #48
New Boot

Hello to the crew,

I got my start as a action choreographer in some Indie films that you can find on some video shelves"Blazin" at Suncoast video.
I really got the chance because I taught martials arts and a company in New York City back in 1995 was doing a film and they needed someone to set up the fight scenes hench hold on that's my cue.
And I have been involved in motion pictures every since.
But no more in front of the camera it's not for me.
But just in the pass three years I got into directing and started my
own production company out of Phila,Pa. and have become a
freelance videographer on the side to make some extra $$$$$.
It's weird I always said just sometimes being in the right place and knowing someone can open up some doors and I have had a great time opening them up.
Since then I have filmed former Pres.Bill Clinton at Harlem fest in
2001 before 911 tragedy.
Movies I have done that will be out soon.
"The Price You Pay" Suspense/Drama: Shot in Phila,Pa.
"Bloodliners" Horror/Action: Shot in Phila,Pa. and Lille, France.
In Pre-Production "Beyond Sleep" Supernatural Thriller to be shot
in Phila,Pa.

All of our productions are shot on DV format but I 'm about to venture into 35mm soon as I'm setting up a deal with some of the top people from the Hong Kong film industry wish me luck.
So I would say pursue your dream and it might take some time
trust me stick it out you thank yourself later.
To all again glad to be apart of so many talented people.
Old April 1st, 2003, 05:34 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Me used to push large monkeys through small envelope slots by day.

Then I learned how-to shoot lots of movie stuff, and then became slave in front of computer for months of postpro cold coffee gut-rot.

you no believe me? goto imdb.com and push buttons on keyboard to make my name appear in search box.

:)

/tongue'n'cheek

** wrangler edit **
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Van+Der+Park,+Adrian
Adrian van der Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2003, 06:57 PM   #50
MPS Digital Studios

What I do for a living

I am an independent filmmaker and also a Creative Services writer/producer for an NBC affiliate in West Palm Beach Florida. At work, we use DVCPro (for the last 7 years with a few cameras and decks, now totally DVCPro for 5 years). We're moving to Final Cut Pro with Omneon and I have personally helped create a relationship with Apple (the only thing I brag about). I even talked to the lead designer of FCP! That was COOL! He designed the original and the latest versions with his team. At home, I've been using a Canon XL-1 to shoot my indie films since March 1999 and FCP since late that summer. I cut my first feature on FCP 1.0 and never upgraded, because I feared I'd screw up my system and the movie. My website can be found at www.mpsdigital.com and we've had a recent premiere of a short, PUSH/PULL, at the Palm Beach International Film Festival.

THANKS!

heath mcknight
Heath McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2003, 07:31 AM   #51
Major Player

Adrian --- I see you worked Max Steel. Are you a Lightwave guy?
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Thanks for reminding me... I gotta get that pulled off my credits... that show was just "max paycheck" as we all joked about.

I use lots of packages. These days Lightwave gets used less and less, however, I do have a significant knowledge of Lightwave, due to many years in the trenches with it.

Adrian

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Argerake : Adrian --- I see you worked Max Steel. Are you a Lightwave guy? -->>>
Adrian van der Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2003, 07:02 PM   #53
Tourist

Hi Everyone-
I am new to this whole experience---I just bought a GL2 and I'm going to start filming my first documentary this weekend. I know nothing about how to use the thing or what I will edit on or any of the important stuff like that, but I do know that I really love film and that i have it in me to become a filmaker (one day). I would love some advice or ideas about what I'm headed into. I'm also always looking for work in the film industry as a PA or intern or anything. So if anyone out there feels like helping me out with advice or even a job (!) that would be fantastic.
Maggie Goldwasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2003, 08:24 PM   #54
MPS Digital Studios

Hi,

I'm Heath; I started my film career (after years of school and using tiny video cameras when I was younger) four years ago when I bought an XL-1 and an Apple with Premiere (Final Cut Pro wasn't out for another month, but I bought it soon afterwards). I'd be happy to give you advice!

You've got the tools, but that's only just so much to make movies or documentaries. I, like many others, mix up equipment for my talent, and that's bad. Just find the best gear and go for it. There are tons of books out there, but I am feeling more and more that it's all pointless. Watch some docs and movies, read a couple of good books, then look inside yourself. That's why you won't find many website forums on "how REALLY to make a movie." It's all in your heart, mind and talents.

Email me any questions: heath@mpsdigital.com and visit my site (plug plug) www.mpsdigital.com.

Good luck and tell us more about your documentary!

Heath McKnight
www.mpsdigital.com

<<<-- Originally posted by Maggie Goldwasser : Hi Everyone-
I am new to this whole experience---I just bought a GL2 and I'm going to start filming my first documentary this weekend. I know nothing about how to use the thing or what I will edit on or any of the important stuff like that, but I do know that I really love film and that i have it in me to become a filmaker (one day). I would love some advice or ideas about what I'm headed into. I'm also always looking for work in the film industry as a PA or intern or anything. So if anyone out there feels like helping me out with advice or even a job (!) that would be fantastic. -->>>
Heath McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 01:14 AM   #55
Tourist

Got tired working as a broker for over 20 years, I started managing money for private individuals. 6 years ago one of my clients offered me an opportunity to manage a company selling broadcast and professional equipment and accessories. This was like a dream come true for me. Now I enjoy going to the office everyday. In between customers and signing export documents and invoices etc. I do research on stocks. It's strange that both my loves start with the letter "M". Money & Movies! I couldn't ask for anything more.
Richard P. Osper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:08 AM   #56
New Boot

Hi!

I work in special effects for film. Mostly doing "photoreal" things like fire, snow, cg backgrounds, etc etc.

I've been using video to do small things like shoot my own commercials, music videos for friends, that sort of thing.
Jeffrey Baksinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:07 AM   #57
RED Code Chef

Nice work Jeffrey. Which applications do you use mostly for this
kind of work? I knew a guy once that did some work for Star Trek
in LightWave.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 01:48 PM   #58
New Boot

Hi Rob!

It depends on what we're doing at the moment. For 3d, we use Maya and Houdini. Maya is best for building models, animation, lighting... Houdini is mainly for particle effects like making rain and such.

My specialty is actually in set reconstruction and camera moves in 3d. So, rebuilding in 3d "exactly"(haha... yeah right..) what the real camera on set did. That way, it's easier for the artists to get their effects in and looking right.

If you'd like to talk offline, email me. I don't want to bore everyone :)

Also, who did you know on Star Trek? I know a few of those guys also from my Digital Domain days.
Jeffrey Baksinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 08:54 AM   #59
Trustee

This thread's enthusiastic responses inspire me. When I was a wee lad growing up in Southern New Jersey, my dreams of being a filmmaker eclipsed everything else, including my schoolwork which was mediocre at best (academic underachiever here). My friends and I made silent, then sound, Super 8mm shorts. Silly stuff, you know, but hey, the family got a charge out of sitting around the projector in our dark den to watch my silly-assed films.
I don't know how I did it, but I graduated high school and actually got accepted to NYU! Of course, the film school would not allow me to take film courses until I proved myself in general courses. You guessed it, I flunked out my freshman year and never made it to the film school part. Needing a job to take care of the unimportant stuff like feeding, clothing and housing myself, I first joined the Marines then became a cop and have been one ever since.
My passion for the movies has not waned one iota.
In the mid-90s I wrote ten, full length motion picture screenplays that were, at one brief time, optioned by a wonderful producer in L.A. (don't be impressed by the "optioned" part; every person and his great granny have had "screenplays" optioned" at one time. Means nothing in the biz). I even had a few "agents" represent me (I won't go into that part now, my ears are becoming red hot. When I think of it, a few of them had taken me for a pretty good ride, one being the sister of a very famous male movie and TV star. Shame on me.)
Flash forward: When I noodled around and discovered the digital revolution, I had a cathartic experience. I realized that with a computer, software and a decent prosumer level digital video camera, I could bring about the same production results as the networks had in the mid 90s! Fabulous! With practice and drive I could be a one man studio! It's great to be alive and interested in independent filmmaking in 2003! Digital projection has made it possible for a shlub like me to show my movie at our local multiplex with stadium seating (a local guy did just that! Check out WWW.STEELSPIRIT.COM).
I now lock up the bad guys during the day and shoot wedding videos and independent short movies in my off time. Believe me, I have my share of cops and colleagues (with and without acting experience) volunteering their services. My home town even hosts it's own Summer film festival, the Atlantic City Film Festival.
Every once in awhile, however, I ask myself what in hell am I getting into? I'm in my early 40's and playing with movies like I did when I was a kid. Has any other middle aged person in my position felt this way at times?
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2003, 10:38 AM   #60
New Boot

Welcome Hugh

Yes, I feel the same way and I am 43. I retired from the Coast Guard 5 yeas ago. I am on VA disability for migraines. I am waiting for vocational rehab so I can go back to work.
I have allows wanted to make movies so one day I decide that is what I am going to do. I took out a Sallie Mae student loan, and attend The Los Angeles Film Schools 6-week digital film course. I purchased a XLIs from the school and now I am having a blast. I would like to make documentaries and movies. I am looking into funding at this time.
I bid you fair winds and following seas in your new adventure.
Doug Sapp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood