Y'all step up and say Howdy - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old October 22nd, 2002, 10:00 PM   #196
New Boot

Greetings from California

Hey, I am Phong from California and dv is becoming a part of what I do. I started out in the year 2000 with a Canon Optura Pi and Apple's iMovie on a slow PowerBook G3 400 Mhz Lombard via a VST firewire cardbus card. I progressed through iMovie and wanted to work in something more professional; I turned to Final Cut Pro. I got a iMac G4 800 Mhz with a gig of RAM in March and used iMovie on it for awhile. I decided to take a FCP class at Digital Media Academy at Stanford University (www.digitalmediaacademy.org). There I bought FCP 3 Academic Version for $299 because I had an ID from DMA. I have been working in FCP ever since. I make movies and videos with friends and enjoy editing a lot. I got a Canon GL2 about a month ago and have not used it yet. I am in a film class in high school and we have a lot of equipment there (a couple of GL1s, GL2s, 6 PD-150s, 4? DSR-250s, and a whole avid editing suite costing the school about 150 grand and not to include lights, decks, monitors, etc.). I just got a Manfrotto 3046 legs yesterday and a 3433 (501) head yesterday and I am excited with the things I will be doing with that and the GL2. I am making progress in dv, and NLE editing and I can do quality/professional work. If anyone have something I could do, please contact me. Also look for www.phonghuynh.com once I get the website up.

Thanks, this is a great community.

God Bless,

Phong
Colossians 3:23-24
---
www.phonghuynh.com

Phong Huynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 04:14 AM   #197
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Phong. Looks to me like you've got your thing
pretty good figured out and running. Great! You have an awesome
camera and also your editing setup is good!

Good luck with your projects and see you around.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2002, 11:31 AM   #198
Regular Crew

Meeting People in Florida

I am looking to meet and network with fellow Camera, Video Editors. In the Dade and Broward Counties of Florida.

I can be reached at (954)441-4446
gerez@bellsouth.net

---
PC Based editor: Adobe Premier Pro, Canopus DV Storm Pro. SONY VX2000, Panasonic DVX100a

George Gerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 12:19 AM   #199
the vantage point

xl-1 owner intro

Hi.

I own and run a small production and post studio in Chicago, IL. I've been doing this full time for about eight years, in addition to teaching various film, video, and computer classes at Columbia College Chicago. My degree is in film (yep, I spent most of college clutching a springwound Bolex 16mm), majoring in film directing, but my technical interests led me really enjoy the technical aspects of production and post in addition to the aesthetic.

Most of the time clients come to me knowing only that they want a video. It's up to us to conceive it, create and deliver it to them. Mostly I've worked for public schools and private corporations, but I've done plenty of broadcast (mostly local) as well.

I'm a long time Canon fan. My father had Canon cameras, and my first video camera was the L1, followed by the XL-1 soon after its release. I even have a Canon Super 8 camera that I've used on a project or two.

The XL-1 has served me well. I finally got to use the ersatz film look on a local TV ad that I did last year, and it looks brilliant! I wasn't planning on upgrading for a while, but have a project coming up that could be broadcast nationwide as well as screened at some festivals. The XL1-S is looking better and better, but I can't shake the appeal of the new Panasonic miniDV that shoots in 24p. Anyone else caught between these two cameras?
Old October 30th, 2002, 09:03 AM   #200
RED Code Chef

Welcome a board! Good to have you with us. You're coming from
an interesting background and you'll find some other people here
who come from a similiar one.

There are some rumours floating around that an XL2 might be
arriving next year (summer perhaps?) so that might be an
interesting thing for you (ofcourse nothing is sure on this yet!).

You'll find a lot of discussion about the new Panasonic 24p camera
at our forum here: http://new.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=47
Check it out for more information on this new camera!

See you around.

Old October 31st, 2002, 01:37 AM   #201
norcalkid

news from the North State

Hey everyone, I live in Redding, Ca And I recently found this forum
and it has been very helpful. I shoot with a VX2000 and edit with FCP3. I'm kinda new to FCP(about 8 months) but I think i got the basics. I mostly shoot skateboarding videos, thats what got me into this stuff, but I am starting to branch out to try to do other things and make money to buy more gear(comp upgrades, lights, tripods, etc.). I am looking for other people with experience to work with or for, I live in a small town. I have some prospects for producing and directing a few commerials for small buisnesses in the area, that might be cool
Old October 31st, 2002, 06:31 AM   #202
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard and good to have you with us. There are some
other people around here that shoot skateboard and snowboard
stuff, lets hope they chime in on this thread.

Have fun!

Old October 31st, 2002, 12:07 PM   #203
Wrangler

Hey, I'm hopefully doing snowboarding videos, if our mountains get any snow this year. :(
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2002, 07:55 AM   #204
New Boot

New from Virginia Beach

I am new to posting, first community I have ever joined. I have followed the site for a long time but just now joined and this will be my first post.

I have been in the biz for 30 years as a Lighting Director / designer and DP. Working up from the bottom. I have shot 16, 35, every kind of video, nationally and internationally. Now I am the Staff DP at a training materials company that produces a line of VHS, CDrom and DVD material that we sell to anyone that needs to train their people.

We have two HL 45s recording on Beta sp, looking to make the switch to something digi. Shoot 40% studio and the rest on location. We are also looking at picking up a small Dv camera for those tight spots that the big one can't get in to.

I have learned a great deal from this site and look forward to particpating in the discussion
Doug Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2002, 08:15 AM   #205
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome to the boards, Doug. Your experience will be a great contribution to the site.
Old November 7th, 2002, 12:36 PM   #206
Doug Willey

Hi From Manchester CT, USA

Hey all,
I,m having a ball getting used to a new FCP3 suite. Have tons of video shoot over the world on horseback. Very interested now in publishing from the web. Anyone have experience with hosting thier media on a host sever accessed by links at other web sites? Seems best economy to me, however many other issuse regarding compression ratios, file formats and viewers to consider. Would love to chat with anyone regarding this. Best for now, and I agree with Adrian, KEEP SHOOTING. Doug.
Old November 8th, 2002, 06:34 AM   #207
RED Code Chef

Doug, welcome aboard. I moved your post to a new thread since
that will keep the forum more clear. Questions for compression
for web and serving etc. are best asked in our Web Video Delivery
forum located at http://new.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=37

Thank you!

Old November 20th, 2002, 03:19 PM   #208
Regular Crew

Studios/production crews using the Panasonic AG-DVX100 or Canon GL2

Hello!
I am currently close to making a decision on a camera - either the Panasonic AG-DVX100 or the Canon GL2. I would like to visit a studio and/or location shoot in the Atlanta area to see these two cameras in action. If anyone has these cameras and would be open to me visiting, please let me know.
Thanks
Jerol King
Jean King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 04:35 PM   #209
Regular Crew

Hi From Fowlerville, MI

Hey All,

I'm from the big city of Fowlerville, Michigan. I recently bought a GL2. I was debating between the GL2 and the EOS D-60 SLR, and obviously the GL2 won. I've got a Kodak DC-280 anyway, and it takes pretty decent pictures for a 2.1mp.

This is my third video camera, but my first DV. I have quite a few VHS and VHS-C tapes I want to transfer, but found out very quickly about the HD space required. I'm here to learn some techniques (my attempts so far to capture the moon have been very poor). There are lots of settings on this camera I haven't learned how to use, or aren't even sure what they are for.

I'm also interested in finding out about accessories; what's good and what's not. I saw the link for the home built stabilizers, and have had all these ideas in my head the past few days about how to put that welder, bandsaw and drill press to work on building one :)

I'm just planning on using the GL2 for amateur stuff like the dragstrip, riding on the quads, etc. Right now I'm using an iBook 600 with the Adobe Design Collection, iMovie Toast and QT Pro.

I'll shut up now :)
Kirk Messner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 05:39 PM   #210
Outer Circle

Hi, Kirk! Welcome!

The GL1/GL2 forum is very active. I suggest re-posting over there. They'll be tons of good suggestions for you.

For NLE MAC questions, post there. (NLE for the MAC)

Have fun!
Frank Granovski
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood