Y'all step up and say Howdy - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old March 9th, 2002, 01:18 PM   #61
New Boot

will make feature in argentina

Hi all & Chris,
I've been visiting your site since the beginning and have to thank you, it's been useful.
After having been using DV since 1995 I'm trying to shoot my first feature here in Argentina and Uruguay, in DV after my own script with almost no $. This is what I have up to now:

- ('97) PAL XL1 w/16x lens (green line problem)
MA100
4 long batteries
Century WA adapt.
- ('01) PAL GL1
- Miller fluid head tripod
- Sennheiser K6 module with directional shotgun
- Ktek boom pole
- Rycote suspension & isolation system
- SurfAce scubacam for XL1
- Lowell Rifa 1000w light bank

- PowerMac G4 500mhz
- Powerbook G4 400mhz
- FCP3

I'm interested in finding how to best complete this system for the shoot and in knowing where is the guy who used to report on XL1 to 35mm transfers at TapeHouseDigital, who put out really good tips on the matter.

thanks again,
Federico
Federico Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2002, 10:58 PM   #62
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hola Federico,

Some of the people in the "biz" will tackle your questions, I'm sure...but I just want to add that I hope you'll give us regular updates on your progress.

Good luck...and happy shooting!
Old March 11th, 2002, 06:43 AM   #63
New Boot

Great to be here!

This is a great supportive and friendly community of creatives.
I'm new to the Canon XL1S and am looking to learn as much as I can.
I have professionally directed commercials and corporate videos, but never operated a camera myself. I'm excited to be using the XL1S in shooting and directing mini-features, etc. I look forward to being a part of the
DVinfo.Net Community.
Danielisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 07:21 AM   #64
Regular Crew

Hello all

I'm so happy I stumbled into this electronic community!

I'm a 20+ year veteran of broadcast TV who's been downsized out the door, so now I'm looking to get my own gear to pursue documentary filmmaking. These messaage boards have been incredibly helpful in learning about the pros and cons of cameras, tripods, etc.

I still have a lot to learn about DV, but maybe I can help answer some questions about how it's done in broadcast TV. (But a lot of times, it's not done very well. It seems many of the people in charge don't really know what's they're doing! I'm actually glad to be finally out of that environment)

So again, glad to be here!

Kirk

Kirkdirect@aol.com
fargograf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 07:41 AM   #65
RED Code Chef

Sounds like you will fit in well! There are other professional
people here as well that turned to DV shooting! I myself am
totally new in the world of filming and have just done my first
little short test movie.

Welcome aboard!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 07:43 AM   #66
RED Code Chef

Another veteran signing up. Before we know it we have
a veteran board here... (yes, this is meant as a joke)....

Let me be the first to welcome you aboard! This place has
more veterans and professionals who turned DV. I myself
am just beginning.

Again, welcome!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 06:03 PM   #67
New Boot

Thanks for your welcome. Hope to be supportive in any way I can.
Danielisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2002, 02:00 PM   #68
Regular Crew

New from HAWAII!!!

Hi,

I'm new here. but fimilar to forums..

My website is at dyslexicrydaz.com and it features alot of mpeg videos.

have fun PCE
Alex
Old March 19th, 2002, 10:04 PM   #69
Obstreperous Rex

That's an interesting site with all the Fast & Furious car stuff, Alex... I'm a little jealous of your age, man... being a teenager in high school right now is a very good place to be, with the way all of this technology is evolving. You're in a great position to leverage it to your advantage. Welcome aboard,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2002, 10:29 PM   #70
Trustee

Wow, for the cost of all those burn't up tyres you could buy yourself a second camera or 3. The 16 sec 4 Runner was pretty amazing. Who said Hawaii is only known for surfing and the beach.

Welcome aboard.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 03:07 PM   #71
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

How did you get into the stuff you are doing?

Just curios, I live in the DC metropolitan area as well.
mdreyes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 03:35 PM   #72
Major Player

It is a matter of burning...

DESIRE.

I have ALWAYS wanted to make films and such.

I didn't at first because I didn't think of it as a practical career choice. Instead I wanted to do computer science, which is interesting to study, but not to do.

I was right. Film making ain't a big moneymaker until you get right near the top, then money just gets thrown at you.

I am NOWHERE near the top fo the field, heck I am hardly off the bottom! Down here with the catfish it can be hard to make a buck, especially compared with other avocations, like say the tech industry or lawyering.

So, how did I get to use the CineAlta- I browbeat the Sony people into getting me some time on one, they passed me around a bit until finally somebody was in town with one...so I went over and used it for a few hours.

This is also how I got to spend some time working on the Sony XPRI edit system at GV Expo, the Sony folk set aside a good 3-4 hours for me, and now I am writing an article for sony.com!

How did I get into Lightwave ? Well, its back to desire. I want to make science fiction films. Naturally these include VFX that need to be amazing.

So, I figured out what they use for effects on Star Trek and other VFX extravaganzas. Can't go wrong with pro tools right ?

Turns out they use Lightwave and Maya. Maya is $17,000 a seat, and it turns out that a lot of modelling is done in Lightwave with animation in Maya at the places that use Maya. It goes on and on...see my posts about 3D for DV.

So Lightwave it is. Now I can boast about an academy award winning toolset at my little old production house. Neat huh ?

Desire, dedication and discipline. Toss in some imagination and curiosity and you are on your way.

If you really want to talk more, or if you have a project you want to talk about drop me an email. (use the link below it is a real email)
Old March 27th, 2002, 01:39 AM   #73
sergeant

Hi Ya'all from Tennessee

Just joined up, but I have owned my XL1s since 8/01 and love it... I do police training films for my department... Just considering the 16X manual lens, as the auto lens is a real pain when it comes to critical focus.... I'm also using the Pinnacle DV500 with Adobe 6.0... Not too happy with it... Anyone have a better editing system to suggest, I'm listening.... That is, other than Apple's, as I don't have a Mac... That may come later....
Old March 27th, 2002, 05:15 PM   #74
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hi Ron,

Just to put a bug in your ear...

Recently, a friend of mine's 18 year-old daughter went to study in the States for four years. As a worried father, he asked me to talk to her about "safety tips" for living in the U.S. (Koreans don't have the "street radar" that most Americans have because they live an amazingly crime-free life here).

I searched the web and we found lots of printed material, but that's all. I'd been hoping to find a collection of video safety tips along the lines of the safety seminar I'd seen a local officer give young girls at a college dormitory seminar (I was a Resident Assistant in a co-ed dorm). I remember him showing lots of really good safety and self defense tips that just couldn't be explained well on paper.

So, if you're ever looking for something on the side to shoot...

(by the way...if you do ever go through with this and need help with the web site design for housing it, I'll be glad to volunteer. Web design is my "day job")
Old March 28th, 2002, 05:54 AM   #75
Obstreperous Rex

*Note* -- this thread is expanded and continued in the NLE Editing on the PC platform forum... we'll see you there! Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood