Y'all step up and say Howdy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old September 5th, 2001, 10:46 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Y'all step up and say Howdy

Howdy from Texas,

I'm constantly amazed at the diversity of people who are using DV in a wide variety of applications. I guess the purpose of this forum is, I'd like to know a little bit about who you are, where you're from and how you're using Digital Video, whether it's for a hobby or to make a living or whatever.

If you guys could help me out, please choose "Submit a New Thread" instead of replying to this one. For each person who wants to participate, doing this will make sure everybody gets noticed.

To start us off, I guess I'll tell you a little bit about myself: I graduated from the University of Texas at Austin in 1991 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Radio-Television-Film. I helped to start a video production company in San Marcos called Media Design, which is still cranking out event video and special media projects although I'm not as closely involved anymore.

These days, on my own, I shoot a lot of raves, a lot of equestrian stuff, and a few other things but my favorite subjects to shoot are community theater and dance.

And then there's all this web business *sigh.* How about you?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2001, 08:02 PM   #2
Berle E. Taylor

introduction

Hi, I'm from Denver Colorado.
Old September 12th, 2001, 11:39 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Berle, the Rocky Mountain Film Festival is coming up around October 11th in Denver. Were you planning on attending?

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2001, 03:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Hello from Spain

Hi!

I'm Dan Uneken, Dutch national, living in Sweet Southern Spain.
I own an XL-1 since february 2000. Have shot several shorts with local directors and film students, for free, to get to know the camera. By birth I am a (stills) photographer (Canon EOSes) - wanted to get the images to move and add sound. By the way I bought the XL-1 partly because of the feature where one can use the EOS lenses: an option that I have never used since even my fish-eye turns out as a tele on the XL-1 - never thought of how small a part of the projected image the camera really uses.
Have proceeded to make / participate in documentaries about wild horses, Flamenco dancing, fighting bulls, cross Atlas (Morocco) mountain biking etc, some of these activities have earned me some cash.
I live off assisting productions from all over the world that come to the area to film.
Use Premiere as NLE tool (works OK). And I love my XL-1, which is now at the workshop for a long overdue maintenance service overhaul. You wouldn't believe how much dust this camera has eaten: it looks like it has fallen down 1000 feet off a red sandstone cliff, but has never given me any problems.

All the best, keep your heads cool America, we're all on your side.

Dan.
Old September 18th, 2001, 12:58 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ahnyonghaseyo [Hello] from Korea!

Hi DV people,

I'm John and I live in Seoul, Korea. My monicker is Zchildress.

Recently bought an XL-1 (the day before they announced the XL-1S, I think) and have been slowly acquiring other accessories and equipment while I try my hand at writing a short web movie screenplay. It's a trilogy, in fact. Three ten minute movies to show on the web.

If those go well, ...then we'll just see what comes next. ;)

If anyone else out there is starting to dabble with the idea of making movies, give me a shout.
Old September 19th, 2001, 11:27 AM   #6
Major Player

¡ Hola ! from Andalucia.

I'm Dan Uneken, Dutch national, living in Sweet Southern Spain.
I own an XL-1 since february 2000. Have shot several shorts with local directors and film students, for free, to get to know the camera. By birth I am a (stills) photographer (Canon EOSes) - wanted to get the images to move and add sound. By the way I bought the XL-1 partly because of the feature where one can use the EOS lenses: an option that I have never used since even my fish-eye turns out as a tele on the XL-1 - never thought of how small a part of the projected image the camera really uses.
Have proceeded to make / participate in documentaries about wild horses, Flamenco dancing, fighting bulls, cross Atlas (Morocco) mountain biking etc, some of these activities have earned me some cash.
I live off assisting productions from all over the world that come to the area to film.
Use Premiere as NLE tool (works OK). And I love my XL-1, which is now at the workshop for a long overdue maintenance service overhaul. You wouldn't believe how much dust this camera has eaten: it looks like it has fallen down 1000 feet off a red sandstone cliff, but has never given me any problems.

All the best, keep your heads cool America, we're all on your side.

Dan.
Old September 19th, 2001, 09:41 PM   #7
Ballistic

A big hello from Canada

First off, it is so good to find a good DV community like this!

I'm from British Columbia, dubbed Hollywood North. Although, I think you'll find we are not a carbon copy of the great Hollywood but have a look and feel as original as any other place on the planet.

I've had the XL1 for only a couple months and I'm liking it. So much more easier on the shoulders than a betacam.

Till now I have used this camera primarily for shooting special events, mostly weddings but I am hoping to shoot a short very soon. A big inspiration is coming on here and reading what others are doing and the success DV has had.

Well, good luck in all your current and future endeavors!
Old September 21st, 2001, 04:03 AM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hola Dan

I'm jealous that you're living in Andalucia. Great place. I lived for awhile in Galicia...La Coruña.

Just wanted to say hello and tell you I checked out your gallery on your web site. Nice work! All your "People" shots are very expressive.

Hasta luego.
Old September 21st, 2001, 05:02 PM   #9
New Boot

Hey there!

Yay Canada!

My mum is from Canada, Skachawan (excuse my poor spelling).

Canada makes some good stuff, especially products from Discreet, and Alis|Wavefront, both high end 3d pro programs that I work with at the post production house.

Cheers!
Old September 22nd, 2001, 08:38 AM   #10
Major Player

Another New Mexican

Howdy Y'all,

I'm Ed Frazier from Las Cruces, NM. Since I know where to put the apostrophe in Y'all, you might guess that I'm originally from Texas and you would be correct.

Unlike most of you, I'm not a professional in this field, but have managed to make a few bucks the past two years with my Sony Digital 8, recording automobile races at a local race track. I discovered this website in my pursuit of information on the XL1S and VX2000. Based on what I've learned, I will likely have a new XL1S before the 2002 season starts in May.

I want to thank Chris as well as all the others that give up their time and talent to maintain and contribute to fourms such as this. The information is invaluable to rank amatures like myself in our effort to produce a better product.

Thanks again,
Ed
Ed Frazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2001, 08:15 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Greetings from Bethesda, Maryland

Thanks to Chris Hurd for creating this forum. Before I had home Internet access I would go to the library and check out the XL 1 Watchdog site. I printed out many pages of material on the XL 1. After a year and a half of research I got my XL 1, which I've had for a little over two years. I am using it with Final Cut Pro on a Power Mac G3 400 to produce educational documentaries. I've taught myself video editing with Final Cut, and am now at the point where I can obtain very professional results. I'm researching, scriptwriting, shooting and editing a project on the place of the Family as an institution in society--no small task! I'm slowly gathering video clips, storing them uncompressed on cd as Final Cut Pro movies which will all be edited together into the final project, with music and narration added.

Actually, it's hard for me to believe I'm actually doing something I've wanted to do since my days, long ago, as a college communications major taking TV and radio production courses. I didn't want to work for the major networks, mired as they are in mediocrity. I couldn't afford to set up my own TV station back then! How things have changed! Now, with DV and NLE applications like Final Cut Pro I can afford to take TV to new heights, producing my own "broadcast quality" documentaries, that will most likely be put on DVD. Sometimes I wonder if I'm biting off more than I can chew. But from Chris and his Watchdog, along with 2-pop.com and other sites (The Digital Journalist, for example) I have received much helpful guidance. Thanks guys!
Old October 12th, 2001, 09:10 AM   #12
Trustee

Just across the pond

Hey John,

I'm just across the pond from you in Japan. I'm on the beach just south of Yokohama. If you find yourself over this way drop me a line. I see from your posts you've done a bit of travel so maybe we could swap war stories
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2001, 03:27 PM   #13
Contributor

Hello From Farmington, New Mexico

Hello All.

I am in Farmington, NM. I primarily use my Xl1 for travel purposes to put together video diaries of travel around the world. I am editing on a media100i 7.0 and love it. www.cyberport.com/~frick

BTW: I have pretty much trashed my XL1 by putting it through the elements of dusty, dirty travel. I think it's time to upgrade my body to the XL1S. Anyone out there using the XL1S body with the old lens and viewfinder?
Aaron Frick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2001, 03:33 PM   #14
Contributor

This page sure in popular in New Mexico

Hello All.

I am in Farmington, NM. I primarily use my Xl1 for travel purposes to put together video diaries of travels around the world. I am editing on a media100i 7.0 and love it. www.cyberport.com/~frick Any of you other New Mexicans or other folks out there interested in collaborating on any project, give me a yell. I will send a demo.

BTW: I have pretty much trashed my XL1 by putting it through the elements of dusty, dirty travel. I think it's time to upgrade my body to the XL1S. Anyone out there using the XL1S body with the old lens and viewfinder?

Tech Question: Footage shot with my XL1 will not play back on any other deck or camera. I haven't sent it to get repaired as I am afraid that the footage will then not even play back in my XL1. Any thoughts?

Laters...

Aaron Frick
Aaron Frick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2001, 03:47 PM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Aaron,

Everybody who's using the XL1S is using it with the old viewfinder. There has been no change to the standard color viewfinder at all -- it's the same one it always was.

The older 16x lens will work perfectly with the XL1S as well.

Regarding your tapes, send along one of those cassettes when you send your camera in for service. Specify that you want the tape transport to be tweaked so that it will play that tape perfectly. The transport chassis should then be able to play back any of your other older tapes. Hope this helps,

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood