Y'all step up and say Howdy - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old October 19th, 2001, 07:44 AM   #16
New Boot

Hello again from central Texas

It is a pleasure to be a part of this message board, with much appreciation for Chris Hurd.

About 3 years ago I was suprised to find that the guy with the biggest XL-1 site on the net was uploading from my own back yard here in the San Marcos, Texas area. Naturally, when I was thinking of going into buisness for myself about two and a half years ago I got in contact with Chris to pick his brain about gear and the video buisness in our area. I was pleased to find that Chris is a great guy who is both knowledgable and helpful. His site has expanded to cover other DV cameras and now we have this great Message board. - Thanks Chris!

I myself work in wedding and event video here between Austin and San Marcos, Texas. I am glad to have access to this message board and the many knowledgable people here.

Thank You,
Mat Cain
DeCa Videoworks
Mat Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2001, 08:19 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Greetings from yet another Texan

This one is Richard DuPree in Denton, TX. I'm on the staff of the College of Music at the University of North Texas where I manage recording services for the college. We are expanding our vision, both figuratively and literally, into DVD production. By the spring of 2002 we hope to be offering these services to students, faculty, guest artists, etc.

We have one XL-1 and two XL-1S camcorders that have been purchased since June, 2001. We did one very basic one-camera shoot of an opera production on campus in August. This was our first DVD, and I must say that it turned out very well for a starter project.

We will begin work on a three-camera shoot of Verdi's La traviata in late November and have already been contacted by KERA-TV (PBS) in Dallas about using some of this footage for a segment that they are producing.
Richard DuPree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2001, 02:30 PM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Awesome! Please let us all know who this goes... thanks!

<< We will begin work on a three-camera shoot of Verdi's La traviata in late November and have already been contacted by KERA-TV (PBS) in Dallas about using some of this footage for a segment that they are producing. >>

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2001, 09:56 AM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Mat, thanks for joining us, I still have your camera parts, we'll trade back one of these days. Let's do lunch again soon,

Old October 30th, 2001, 06:53 PM   #20
Major Player

Hello from the Washington D.C. Area

Hello all,

Some of you may already know me from my all to frequent postings on rec.video.production or elsewhere on USENET. Some others may know me from my articles on abcdv.com, the XL-1 Watchdog. Still others may know me from my website, zenera.com

Unfortunately, I bet few of you, if any, know my work. I have done a number of news and event projects. I have worked as Director of Photography on one independent DV film called Sailor Come Home. I presently have a movie in preproduction called, "The Hunter's Prey" where I will serve as just about everything from Director, to CG artist, photographer and writer.

I use the Canon XL-1 for almost every project, but I have been priveledged to use other cameras on occasion. Some of my favorites are the Sony FDW-900 CineAlta and the JVC GY-DV500.

I also do 3D modelling and animation using Newtek Lightwave. Currently almost all my efforts there are being sucked up by "The Hunter's Prey" but I hope to get some models and animations out there...someday.

Well, now you know a little more about me. I look forward to reading about you on these pages.
Old November 13th, 2001, 02:07 PM   #21
Marino Rocha

New Jersey and PA Shooters Wanted

I am looking for Event videographers Freelancers..(Weddings, Parties..), anyone up there?

Thank You
Marino Rocha
Old November 27th, 2001, 12:59 AM   #22
Thunderwing

Spreading Messages of Peace

My name is Scott Nocella and I work with several people that are listed on our website, www.worldharmonyunlimited.com

The purpose of our website is to give North American Indigenous Peoples a voice in their own words. The site has footage that was shot with the xl1. You'll need a real player to play clips that are posted there. It's a place to find truth and knowledge that was meant for all. We have spent the last 4 years working on this, and it's about something the world needs here and now......peace. I have worked in many facets of televison production, and I feel it's time to put responsible messages out there so that future generations can benefit from good things. I want to leave something more than just cancelled checks and bank statements......I want to leave an example for my child of what it's like to really live. That's the essence of communication......spreading good messages.

I recently acquired a xl1s to replace my xl1, and I just love the camera. I have the manual 16x lens as well which is a lifesaver for critical focus situations. The camera goes well with my edit system which is final cut pro on a g-4 platform.

I look forward to interaction and working with other professionals.

My other passion is film-making......I love film, and the xl1s is the closest I've seen to film for a bargain basement price.

Scott Nocella
Old November 27th, 2001, 01:03 AM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Thank you, Scott -- outstanding website and I really appreciate the concept behind it -- best wishes to everyone involved. It's an honor to have you aboard. Many thanks and much respect,

Old December 20th, 2001, 01:30 PM   #24
Regular Crew

flatCOIN

Hi ..,

I just thought that it is about time to introduce myself.

My name is Ulrik, I am 22 years old and I am a filmmaker since I was 14 and used the brandnew HI8 camera my mother bought.

Since than I did shortfilms all the time - I started with stopmotion flicks with my matchbox cars, later I filmed myself ( editing meant pressing the record button :) and as I had the luck to own a second VCR I started to edit my flicks for real and I had even more luck coz this VCR had a dubbing function.

Later on I had the chance to edit my shortfilm with some analog editing system till I collect all my money for the MatroxRT2000.

Right after I had the RT2k I started to collect my money for the XL1 ... after 1 1/2 years of collecting I finally bought the XL1s and believe me I am just in the same mood as I used my mothers good old HI8 camcorder for the first time :).

Right now I am planning my first feature film which I will start doing whenever I made it to collect enough money for a widelens *lol*.

If you wanna check out some of my shortfilms click the "www" button below and download the with DivX411 compressed moviefiles from my page.
(any comments are very welcome)

have a nice day and do movies whenever you have time
Ulrik
Ulrik [fC] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2001, 03:53 PM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Danke sehr Ulrik! Sehr toll, du bist immer wilkommen bei uns.

Tschuss,

Old January 2nd, 2002, 09:34 PM   #26
New Boot

Ojai DV Camp dates

Hi,

I'm involved in putting together the Ojai DV Camp, an informative and fun DV workshop in Ojai, California slated for Jan. 26-27.

If you think you or someone you know might be interested in taking an affordable professional hands-on workshop where they can experience shooting, lighting, blocking, editing and encoding their digital movies check this website site for more information:
www.ojaidvcamp.com

Power to the people!
Old January 5th, 2002, 08:08 AM   #27
Registration incomplete -- contact admin

Introducing... me :)

Hi, I guess im the opposite of ozziealfonso (great post by the way.. i love sesame street)

Myself, i'm at the beginning of my career rather then in the prime of it. When i was 18.. i decided there were 3 things lacking in my life. Sky, (im in the uk and thats our cable equivalant i guess)
my very own pc, and a video camera.
(before you ask. i had a girl lol)

so with my £35 a week (god bless youth trainging schemes) i saved up and eventually got all three. Once i got a video camera i used to fool around making videos with friends.. crazy stuff.. My mom was at uni at the time and asked if id make a video for a presentation she was doing.. so i did.. it was about body language, kind of a crazy mtv hunour style over the top 5 min thing.. i edited straight from my hi-8 camera to vhs for 12 hours straight. dubbed music on.. and then went to show it.

and people laughed.. first time i had my work shown to an audience and i loved it.. people at the uni assumed i was in my last year of a degree there.. wheni explained they asked if id every considered it as a career.. i hadnt till then.. so i went back to school.

And here i am now.. many years, a gnvq, a btec and nearly a hnd later. (I start my next semester next week)

The equipments changed, instead of a rusty vhs and a hi-8 cam.. i have an xl1s and a matrox edit suite. but my love for making videos is still the same.. i recently won a european film contest.. and the rush i got from people in the cinema watching my short film on the big screen was the same i got all those years ago.. when a class watched my body language thing..

I guess im anything but a typical student.. I work part time for a local company, putting together promos, music vids and covering live events. everything from business conferences to a three tenors concert. one day ill be at uni.. the next ill be shooting tony blair so its a little extreme to say the least.

I just finished working on assignment this week.. and next week I fly to the USA to for a 2 week shoot on a documentary.

I graduate in may/june time and gonna take things as they come.. i only hope my career is as fulfilling as ozziealfonso's :)
CMBmovies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2002, 11:09 AM   #28
FollowIt

Wandering the streets of Dallas...

Current project looking for a DP or camera operator, little or no experience is OK. Need someone with a camera who wants to stretch their legs a bit.
Thanks
Old January 5th, 2002, 05:38 PM   #29
BigBadFun

Hi from Christchurch, New Zealand

Hello,

Just thought I would pop in and introduce myself. I am from New Zealand, home of Peter Jackson and Middle Earth!!

Unlike Peter, I am merely a hobbiest and wedding videographer with about 10 years experience mostly using a Hi8 Sony v5000 video camera which has served me well (until last weekend).

I have recently invested in a Pinnacle DV-500+ capture card and a custom made PC and have been getting up to speed with editing footage with Adobe Premiere / Hollywood FX etc and are extremely impressed with it's performance and potential.

Recently I researched the Sony VX2000 as I felt the reviews were very promising and my trusty Hi8 camera was starting to become the weakest link in my setup. Although the picture and quality I thought was outstanding, I held off because of my love for the shoulder-mounted style of the v5000 and sniffed around other options such as the more expensive Panasonic DV-CAM range.

Then disaster struck. While doing some pre-checks before a wedding last weekend, my Hi8 heads finally decided that they had done enough. Luckily, I have a little handheld Sony MiniDV PC-7E and (although it looked pretty dumb on a heavyweight Velbon tripod) I managed to produce one of the best wedding videos I have ever done. The quality was amazing - luckily their were no awkward lighting conditions and the wedding was on the beach...

Anyhow, with 12 weddings booked in the next 3 months, I have a brand new VX2000 ordered and arriving in the next couple of days and will be doing some pretty intense crash courses in all it's features and are really looking forward to now being entirely digital from shooting to final cut.

I've also wanted to get into short film making but can't seem to come up with any decent ideas (or time with all these darn weddings :) )

Anyway, good to see a growing community and look forward to being a part of it.

BBF
Old January 6th, 2002, 07:32 AM   #30
Trustee

How's it going mate, welcome.

I've spent a lot of time in your part of the paddock, I did a few seasons out at Mt Hutt, shooting photos and video, and snowboarding.

I've been using a DV500 for a couple of years and up until now, version 2.0 drivers that is it's been a productive tool.

Good luck and enjoy.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood