The Tragedy of Canada - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 15th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Try Chitlins

Dylan, you mean you haven't had one of the greatest delicasies of all? Chitlins? Man you haven't lived.......hehehe.
Just don't clean/fix them at home unless you want someone to call the health department on you. Mighty fine when properly cooked. And Alligator Gar? Makes a great sausage. Goes great
with poke sallet and collard greens.
Lest you think I'm kidding, I'm not.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 05:15 PM   #47
Warden

Ummm, Ummm, Quarter Pounders with cheese are looking better all the time.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Jeff, I wonder if our Canadian and Pacific friends have the slightest idea what I'm talking about. hehehe.
Old January 16th, 2003, 04:57 PM   #49
Warden

No, but the Crocodile Hunter might.

Jeff
Old January 16th, 2003, 06:02 PM   #50
Wrangler

Joe, I've had collard greens before. Is there a different name for Chitlins?

Never had Gator in any form. Beleive me, if I could find it, I'd try it. I think one of life's little treats is trying food you'd not normally get to eat. Not that I like everything, but I'll sure give it a try.

You want something that you should never cook/clean in your home? Try a fruit called "durian". Tasty, if the smell doesn't make you throw up before you can get it in your mouth.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 07:36 PM   #51
Major Player

This thread has gotten so many posts I am actually concerned for the mental state of being of the entire forum...
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 07:41 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Its Burns Night soon so it will be traditional haggis for me - yum yum.

Ross
Ross Milligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #53
Inner Circle

>>Is there a different name for Chitlins?

Never had Gator in any form. Beleive me, if I could find it, I'd try it. I think one of life's little treats is trying food you'd not normally get to eat. Not that I like everything, but I'll sure give it a try.

<<

Chitlins = Pigs Intestines, buy cleaned or uncleaned, depending
how much money you want to save. hehehe.

Alligator Gar, not an Alligator, but a scavenger fish that is shaped roughly like a pike, but gets up to 9 feet in length with huge ugly teeth and big scales like a carp. Found mostly in the larger rivers of the Southern United States. They are considered a pest fish for the most part. A few people like to capture them and turn the meat into sausage. I'm not one of them.
If you ever go swimming in a big river and see one of these things, they scare the hell out of you, though I've never been bitten by one. They travel in small groups.

end of social lesson.

Joe C.
Old January 17th, 2003, 09:14 PM   #54
Major Player

It was bad enough when "swamp food" was mentioned (gar) but when haggis got thrown in that did it. I've had camel while in the Middle East and something that was probably dog while in Asia, but "haggis"! Ross, that just about tops it! And don't tell me you would eat "that stuff" cold...... ! Yikes ! Chitlins ain't nothing compared to "Haggis"!

Polish kleibasi with double garlic is like French pastry compared to haggis.

Sign me, Not a Haggis lover. Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 09:18 PM   #55
Wrangler

Re: Alligator Gar
Oh, for some reason I had a mental lapse and thought you were talking some wierd Cajun-speak about alligators... Yep, I know what a alligator gar is. Had one at an aquarium store I used to work at. Vicious SOB as far as fish go.
Old January 17th, 2003, 09:26 PM   #56
Warden

I spent a little time in the Philippines after the revolution. I would walk along the streets and people would be cooking food, right in the street. Most of the time it was little skewers with meat objects on them and a sauce. The smells were actually quite pleasant. But you just didn't eat it no matter how good it smelled or how hungry you were. It was most likely dog (a Philippine specialty) or rat ( the other, other white meat) or cat. Didn't see many loose dogs in the Philippines.

Jeff
Old January 18th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #57
Outer Circle

Don't forget 'er snakes, monkeys and lizards...sometimes people too. In Winnipeg, we only eat Whitefish and Goldeye. The Red River carp and channel cats get picked up by the funny fishermen from down south.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #58
Wrangler

Frank, you mean the wildlife actually survives the winter in Winnipeg? I though everyone there had to hibernate until summer when you could go mosquito hunting. Mmm... nothing like shooting down a 10lb Squiter and tossing it on your grill. That's good eatin!
Old January 18th, 2003, 08:53 PM   #59
Inner Circle

>>Mmm... nothing like shooting down a 10lb Squiter and tossing it on your grill. That's good eatin!<<
Followed by Prairie Oysters in a tasty Marinara sauce.

I'm a member of PETA
People Eating Tasty Animals
Old January 18th, 2003, 09:33 PM   #60
Outer Circle

I used to own a big house on the corner of Pamerson and Evanson. Every night (not in Winter), the Rain Worms would come out in herds. I'd grab 'em, put them in a bucket, and make 'em for my friends to enjoy. Yum. They never new what they ate. Of course I kept a few worms for fishing---in the river across the street. +_+
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media