So I bought a Vinten FibreTec at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old January 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Major Player

So I bought a Vinten FibreTec

So I bought a Vinten FibreTec from Adorama.

Based on the pic, I thought I was getting a great deal on the sticks, feet, spreader and strap. Turns out it was just a non-WYSIWG poor listing, so I received the sticks and strap only, drop shipped from Vinten.

After the long decision-making and shipping process, it was a fun experience opening the box. I'd also ordered the 75-100mm Bowl Adapter for installing a Sachtler DV6SB head on the legs. This was taped to the top of the tripod box.

Fresh out of the box, the users manual laying on the floor in it's unopened plastic wrap, I began playing with the 'controls'. 5 of 6 leg locks worked fine, the other gave some resistance and that section required a push to slide out, unlike the others. A small plastic piece fell to the floor, which I took to be something untrimmed from the molding process.

I extended the legs full out, and was happy to see that with the head installed, the camera might just barely be above crowd level, depending on the crowd ;)

Working with the Sachtler head, it turns out the bowl adapter consumes about an inch of inset, so that there's not enough bolt left to tighten it down. Setting the head in the 100mm bowl, at least it's clear the clamp will work with Vinten, if I can get it to set in lower.

At the time I was fed up with the vague listing and description, so I decided to return it. I looked it over one more time to make sure everything is in order and ask myself again if I really wanted to return it, and discovered the trouble-maker leg lock was now frozen. I pull out on the lever and nothing happens, it just swings out, while the underlying mechanism remains locked. So it looks like that little piece of plastic was not extra after all. Thankfully the section is in the closed position, so I can box it up and send it back.

I never used excessive or noticeable force in working with the legs. 5 of 6 sections worked and slid freely. The sixth is defective, or, if not, an indication of how fragile the construction is. Hopefully the former, since my old original $25 PoC Velbon that's been rattling around the back of the pickup for the last 7 years has shown higher reliability.

Even when the replacement, hopefully 'Professional Grade' sticks arrive, I still have to solve the problem of getting the Sachtler head to fit deeper into the bowl. Anyone seen an adapter that sits down in the 100mm bowl, rather that on top?
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi...........

Think with the run of luck you're having it might be wise to stay indoors under cover for the next 3 months lest you get hit by that escaped toolbox from the last Shuttle mission.

I'm not aware of a standard 100 - 75 mm adapter that's going to make a whole heap of difference.

Doesn't mean there isn't one, just ain't heard of it.

Tried both my Manfrotto & B.Hague adapters on my FT's this am, the B.Hague gives one complete extra turn on the bolt, doen't sound like it's enough to solve your problem.

Reckon the only people who might know would be either Sachtler or Vinten.

As a last resort get a local engineering machine shop to lathe a mm or two off the inside of the adapter.

Else call it quits and go for a set of Sachtler sticks instead, at least there's a fighting chance the head and sticks might just be compatible.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Think with the run of luck you're having it might be wise to stay indoors under cover for the next 3 months lest you get hit by that escaped toolbox from the last Shuttle mission.
Or if it did n't hit you on the head as it landed next to you....(!) maybe you could use the said toolbox to modify the adapter? (after all, it was n't a cheap toolbox, was it!).

I think Chris is right, we have a Hague 100 to 75mm adapter and I suspect that won't help enough as indicated.
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Brickert View Post
I still have to solve the problem of getting the Sachtler head to fit deeper into the bowl. Anyone seen an adapter that sits down in the 100mm bowl, rather that on top?
I found one that works on my Cartoni Alpha and no-name Hi-Hat. It is basically a large washer with a machine-tapered edge on the inside. The washer drops in and sets about half-way down in the cast bowl (providing your head is made with a bowl shape under the top mount.

Go down to the second item from the bottom on this page:
Long Valley Equipment | products

The picture shows the adapter and the kind of bowl it works with. This is not high-tech, but it works very well for me.

The company is in New Jersey, U.S.A., but you can email them and probably work out shipping. The thing weight only 2.2 ounces.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Great find Jack..............

Looks just like my B. Hague adapter except the BH is alloy, not steel.

Could you do something, Jack?

Can you take a couple of measurements of your adapter and compare them to these for the B. Hague unit?

Outer: 93 mm (a whisker under 3 11/16ths ins - could be 3 21/32?)

Inner: 65 mm (the same whisker over 2 9/16ths ins. - could be 2 19/32?)

The first at the top of the outer bevel, the second at the bottom of the inner bevel.

If your "Outer" is smaller or the "Inner" larger (or both) it sounds like it may just do the business.

CS
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #6
Trustee

The dimensions of the adapter (machined washer) I have are:

Outside diameter: Exactly 3 inches
Inside diameter: 2-1/32" inches

Outside bevel diameter: 2-5/32"

This appears smaller than the dimensions you give. It fits right about halfway between the top and bottom of the bowl framework. It adds about 3/4 inches extension to the bottom of the head out through the hole in the bottom of the bowl framework.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Yep...............

Reckon that's gotta be the way to go.

Now all Scott needs is a set of intact and functional FT's and he's ready to roll.

I'll stay tuned for the next exciting episode - oh, when is that toolbox due to head earthwards, anyone know?

CS
Old January 6th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Hey Chris and Jack,
thanks a million, I'll keep you posted.

As far as luck, it always runs out.

I'm standing by the door ready to kick it on the way by.

:)
Old February 27th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hey Scott................

Reckoned it was about time to see how this played out.

You sort your issues with the FT's?

I was staggered to find this thread only ended on Jan 7th. Feels like last year already.

CS

Last edited by Chris Soucy; February 27th, 2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Whoops.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads