Miller DS-20 Solo - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 5th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #31
Major Player

Thanks Les.

The Sachtler FSB8 was the main contender as far as heads go. I'm not so sure about the legs that come with it in the 2,000.00 package. I've heard complaints. But those long Gitzo GT354XLS legs look just about right, though with the 75mm adapter we're talking 2,400.00 I may just have to bite the bullet and get it. I think with the FSB8, and the Gitzo legs I'm still coming in under 10lbs too. I have major back issues, so a lite setup is important.

Another possibility with the Gitzo legs is that one can add a column if desired. I have been working that way with my bogen 501. I like having one adjustment to raise the height quickly, so maybe the short Gitzo legs and a column. Decisions decisions...

Thanks again man. Throw up any more good "bang for buck" options you may know of.

Chadfish
Old January 5th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #32
Major Player

You will never regret paying for good equipment. If I were you, I would stretch for the tall legs and have everything the right way. A centre column will not allow the FSB to attach without a flat to bowl adapter that is different from the bowl adapter already mentioned. Adn you would also have to buy the normal top for the shorter legs to hold the centre column. It gets messy!

I think the tall legs and an FSB-8 will be the right thing.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #33
Major Player

I think so too Les!

It's on now...
Old January 5th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #34
Major Player

I went ahead and got the long Gitzo legs and bowl adapter. I'm going to have to wait on the Sachtler head until the money from a Jingle I just produced comes in.

There are 2 similar Sachtler heads. I think I'm going for the cheaper one:

There's the FSB8 at 1,500.00: Sachtler | 0707 FSB-8 Fluid Head (Black) | 0707 | B&H Photo Video

And there's the FSB8T at 1,675.00: Sachtler | 0705 FSB-8T Fluid Head (Black) | 0705 | B&H Photo

I'm not really sure what the difference is, but I'm sure that either are better than the Miller stuff.
Old January 5th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #35
Major Player

The difference is that the "T" model has a quick release plate that is independent of the fore/aft adjustment. The non "T" model has the sliding plate as the quick release plate.

The "T" model's advantage is that you can pull the camera off, and put it back on with having to be careful to reposition it to retain balance. The disadvantage is the rather small foot print of the plate and the possible lack of strength or stability of the attachment to the camera.

I have the non "T" model and have no problems, but some people strongly prefer to be able to mount and dismount the camera while not having to worry about repeating balance points.
Old January 5th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #36
Major Player

Apologies to the forum users for the huge change of topic in this thread. We should have taken it to another thread.
Old January 5th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #37
Major Player

I think it all related. I was interested in the Miller too at first. No possible Miller purchasers have some cool alternatives.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads