Vinten Vision 3 AS Head Review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 19th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Vinten Vision 3 AS Head Review

Some of you may have bumped into it on your way into DVinfo.

Firstly, a brief apology. It isn't all there!

Serious time constraints with both DVinfo and NAB left Chris Hurd just plain "out of time" when it came to it's upload.

Missing are a trio of PDF's and a shed load of photogaphs.

One PDF concerns the balance figures for each head in the range, the other is the new Vinten USA Price List, the third is the statistics for the entire range of Vision "x" AS heads.

I shall attach the PDF's to this post as an interim workaround untill such time as Chris H is back from Los Vegas at the end of the week.

The photo's will have to wait, tho' those that did make it in pretty well tell the story.

Some of you may also have noticed a distinct lack of navigation tools on the Forum page header, I'm not privvy to their disappearance but guess they'll have to wait as well.

In the meantime, if anyone has any questions about either the review or the head in question, fire away, I'm going to be hanging around.

CS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vision AS project.pdf (103.8 KB, 950 views)
File Type: pdf Vision AS balance graphs.pdf (925.2 KB, 586 views)
File Type: pdf US Price list 2009 version2.pdf (392.6 KB, 3315 views)
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Nice Review.

I am considering my next tripod at the moment. I am used to Vinten as I owned a vision 100 for many years.

The one thing that I did not like about that head is that there is no 0 drag setting like you find on the Sachtlers.

How is this head in that regard? how lose and smooth is the movement on the lowest drag setting?

Many Thanks, Adam
Levinspictures
Adam Levins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Adam.....

Thanks for the kind words.

Never having used a Sachtler (am I allowed to own up to that?) I can't really compare the Sachtler and Vinten 0 drag settings, tho' I can assure you the Vinten does have one, er, zero.

Given the nature of the drag system on the Vinten, zero is a bit of a misnomer, tho' to be absolutely accurate, there can be no such thing as zero drag otherwise physics dictates that one touch on the pan bar and the head would continue to revolve for ever.

Not a feat even Sachtler have been able to engineer.

At a guess (actually, I did measure this at some point on my original V3 and the new AS is very similar) the zero drag setting still requires about 1 pound (less than half a kilo) of force applied to the centre of the pan bar grip to provoke a medium pan.

In practice this really is not much, and I for one would not like it any looser.

Smooth?

It's like the action of an ice cube on a hot sheet of polished stainless steel, ie. flawless.

Zero stiction and zero backlash.

It really is one heck of a head.

Give Vinten a call and ask them where you can check one out, I'm sure they'll see you right.

CS
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks... I will see if they have a showroom in LA
Adam Levins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks! Glad I waited for your review

Hi Chris,
Thanks so much for encouraging me to wait til after NAB. Your review is so excellent and I just wanted to doublecheck with you: I am going to purchase a JVC 200UB and want to get the Vinten Vision 3AS. Good combo?
Looks fantastic. Thanks again for all your help.
Jenny
J.L. Perlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Jenny........

The 3AS should be a natural for that camera.

My only hesitation is that, at 8.16 pounds weight, it SHOULD have the mass to get the counterbalance system working, but visually, it's COG is incredibly low, being a very long but low machine.

Being prudent, I would ask the specific question of Vinten - is it capable of working perfectly "out of the box" with a 200UB.

If you get a "thumbs up", go for it.

CS
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #7
New Boot

Indecision...again: FSB 8T/Vision 3AS

Hi Chris,
Sorry to keep on at this, but I started to get concerned about the weight of the Vinten. Since I am pretty small (5'2") and am basically the only one carrying around the gear, I am now considering the Sachtler FSB 8T as opposed to the Vision 3AS. The Sachtler seems to also be able to bear more weight, if I wind up loading up the camera. What do you think?
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
Jenny
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Jenny..............

Hmm, 5' 2" huh?

Yeah, I can attest to the Vinten rig I have being no lightweight.

The Sachtler is a really nice head and certainly can carry higher payloads than the Vinten, tho' the stepped counterbalance over such a large carrying capacity range leads me to think there must be some significant "dead" spots between settings, which would be a complete PITA if your rig sat right on one.

Ditto the 5 step drag settings.

You might want to ask here if there's anyone in your area who has either of the Sachtlers (the 8 and the 8T) to have a play with. I imagine the 8 has a similar side load plate to the Vinten, the 8T with the "touch and go" plate has me a bit puzzled as to just how it functions.

Going to be a hard one tossing up between the two of them (the V3AS & FSB 8/T), and no mistake.

Good luck.

CS
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:06 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Any ideas how the new vintens hold up in below zero celcius? Used my Sachtler DV6SB at -32 Celcius this winter and it performed quite good. Now I'm looking for a new tripod that can support both a Hpx500 with some accessories and a lighter handheld hpx171 with mattebox.

Sachtler and Miller are the only in my price range, about 4500$, that specify that low operating temperature that I know will work. And ofcourse Panther but that's a tad over budget(the X15).
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Christian...........

I've asked Peter Harman, the Vinten Product Manager, to answer your question himself.

I think it's something they should update on their product specifications.

CS
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #11
New Boot

Sachtler/Vinten

Hi Chris,
Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate the attention you give these questions! Yes, I', 5'2" and waited a long time to get to 5'3" but I fear it will never happen. Still, I get some great perspective on the world through lenses set at this height.
All best
Jenny
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Jenny.....

You are so kind.

Thank you for your praise, tho' I don't feel I deserve it (ok, yeah, I do).

My mother was only 5' 2", my dad 6' 5", go figure.

I ended up a 6' 4" miniature of my father, tho' I seem to have shrunk in the wash lately and am down to 6' 2".

Yep, down low is a good way to go for a different perspective.

Send me a mail and tell me what you're up to, I'd like to hear.

CS
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #13
New Boot

Sony EX3

Looking on Vinten’s website the only head that comes up when selecting the Sony EX3 on their product chooser is the Vision 3 head. Should the 3AS come up as well or is it out of it's range due to the EX3’s COG?

I'm after a head that I can use with a long lens for wildlife, (300-500mm with Adaptimax) and want it to be solid if I'm moving it to follow a creature of some sort.

Using a Manfrotto 503 at the moment and it's creeps back whenever you stop moving it (backlash?) and generally shows all movement as vibration/wobbles. Even a light breeze shows up in fact.

I have Libec T102 legs and they are solid so it's all down to the head at this point I think.

Thanks.
Old May 15th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Ben............

Yep, just checked the site and it does, indeed, say V3 with #3 spring.

I can only put this down to the site being a "work in progress", it's changed quite dramatically in the week or so since I last looked.

Heck, even got my ugly mug plastered all over the Review section to boot.

That Vinten recommend the #3 means that the V 3 AS should be perfect for an EX3.

Just checked the B & H site and they are taking orders for the V 3 AS, and, much to my continued astonishment, the FiberTec's as well (that's what are sitting under my Canon XH A1 and V3 AS in the review).

Now THAT is a killer combination if you have the readies.

I believe I can say without hesitation that trying that combo out would see both the 503 and the Libec's consigned to the trash in very short order.

CS
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Vision AS - Operating Temperature and Vinten web site

Hi all and sorry for the late reply.

(1) The operational temperature range of the Vision AS drag fluid is the same as the Vision range it replaces and there have been very few complaints about its performance at either end of the temperature range. Before i say what the specification is, its important to note a few things:

(a) In order for the drag fluid to get down to the outside temperature, it takes between 4 and 8 hours of continual exposure. This time will depend on the temperature the head was taken from. The same applies to the top end of the temperature specification. The standard Vinten drag fluid can cope with temperatures to about -25C to +35C with very little change in characteristics. As an example, the published operating temperature range of a PDW-700 is -5C to +40C, so the Vinten AS drag system should be more than adequate.

(b) Although many pan and tilt head manufacturers quote a top and bottom temperature range, in practice, very few actually meet the lower end as the bearing grease generally freezes, making a mockery of the spec in the first instance.

(2) Sorry, the web site is being updated next week with the new AS products.
Peter Harman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads