Trying to choose a tripod is driving me crazy! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 24th, 2004, 12:08 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Ken,

Very much interested in your review as I have narrowed my choices to the three in your photo and it might help in the deciding factor.
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #17
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Here. Probably November/December.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 02:15 AM   #18
Major Player

I saw this one.
Less than $300?!
Valeriu Campan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 04:22 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Sunpak Video M

<<<-- Originally posted by Valeriu Campan : I saw this one.
Less than $300?! -->>>

It "looks" like a nice tripod, but as far as I can tell, it only has fluid dampening on the pan axis.
Ben Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #20
Major Player

They say it has pan & tilt adjustments, but from tho photos I cannot see any drag controls: only vertical and horizontal locks. I am still puzzled. Did any body saw or used this one?
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #21
Major Player

Re: Sunpak Video M

They say it has pan & tilt adjustments, but from tho photos I cannot see any drag controls: only vertical and horizontal locks. I am still puzzled. Did any body saw or used this one?
Old October 26th, 2004, 06:41 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Re: Re: Sunpak Video M

<<<-- Originally posted by Valeriu Campan : They say it has pan & tilt adjustments, but from tho photos I cannot see any drag controls: only vertical and horizontal locks. I am still puzzled. Did any body saw or used this one? -->>>

From Sunpak website:

"Ultra-smooth all-metal fluid-filled head for precise panning control with no backlash"

I didn't see any reference to fluid dampen tilt.
Ben Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 07:45 PM   #23

I have no experience with the Sunpak tripods and heads. They are not a name associated with video equipment...more with photo equipment.

I can say definitively that there are no real deals on good tripods and heads. Ultimately, you get only what you pay for. The best rigs are very well engineered to withstand heavy usage and wide environmental conditions. As a result, they're costly even on the used market.

That aside, this might be just fine for you. If you're a hobbyist, let's be honest; chances are that the rig will spend most of its life in the closet. You may not need anything more.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old October 26th, 2004, 07:54 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Yes, I believe that Sunpak are best known for flashguns. At least to me they are, although I've never owned one myself.

Besides, does anyone even make a head with fluid damping only on the pan axis? That doesn't make much sense to me.
Pat Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 10:29 PM   #25
Major Player

Hello all,

This Sunpak tripod is most likely a re-badged Libec tripod (probably the LS-35). You can see their product line here: http://www.libecusa.com/index.htm

I'm not too sure about the Libec name, although they do make heads as expensive as $4500. I have tried their low ends heads like this one at a store and wasn't very impressed. It didn't feel well made and it was about as smooth as a $50 Velbon. This is in my opinion of course.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 07:57 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Ken,

How is your review coming? It is decision time for me and I have narrowed my selection to the three in your review and was looking for anything that puts one on top of the others. Any hints you can share?

Thanks
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #27
Major Player

I've been looking at the Vision 3 heads and was wondering how one goes about picking the right spring for their camera.

First, the springs come in a variety from about 2 to 20 lbs. in increments of about 2 lbs. First of all, do you go by the overall weight of your camera? Should you put the thing on a scale?

Next, since you're probably not going to find a spring to match the exact weight of your camera, should you err on the light side or the heavy side? About how "off" can you be before the head doesn't work properly?

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #28

Hart: Slower than expected. Being retired turns out to be hard work. For the time being if you have specific questions on these three rigs please feel free to ask here.

Tony: B&H has a reference chart for selecting Vision 3 springs. Go to the product's page and look for the link. The springs for a GL2/1 and an XL1 are only one number apart. So a mistake would not be dramatic. I've used the XL1 spring with the GL2 with little apparent consequence.

Old November 12th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #29
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Tim N Le : Hello all,

This Sunpak tripod is most likely a re-badged Libec tripod (probably the LS-35). You can see their product line here: http://www.libecusa.com/index.htm

I'm not too sure about the Libec name, although they do make heads as expensive as $4500. I have tried their low ends heads like this one at a store and wasn't very impressed. It didn't feel well made and it was about as smooth as a $50 Velbon. This is in my opinion of course. -->>>
I think you're right, only an LS-22 tripod with H35 head. I believe Bescor uses these same legs on their TH-650, which lists for only $251. That's just me guess.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Ken: Thanks for the offer on questions. I don't want to detract from your review in any way but since you apparently had the opportunity to use all three, what do you use and why?
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads