Secced tripods and heads, Sachtler rip offs? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 18th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Risdon
Oh well - I bottled it and went out and bought a used Sachtler!

I talked to a few dealers (not ones that had used Sachtlers to sell!) and one or two (who were Secced dealers) expressed concern over the smoothness of the heads, and that while they looked like Sachtlers...

Anyhow, I didn't end up trying them, but the Sachtler 20 with ENG CF legs that I bought is fantastic - smoothest tripod I've ever used and looks like it will go on forever. Famous last words...(!)
Sachtler makes an 18 that works real nice. It's also known as a "caddy".
Old February 18th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I used to have one!

Hi Alessandro:

I used to have a Sachtler Video 18 along with my BVW-D600. It was a great tripod. When I bought my first DV camcorder, i sold it though. The new DV-6SB I am using behaves like a smaller, lighter version of it although many others are saying the new DV series are not nearly as good. For the money, the new Sachtler DVs are a good deal. Sure the Video series are better but at two to three times the cost, they should be, right?

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett
Hi Alessandro:

I used to have a Sachtler Video 18 along with my BVW-D600. It was a great tripod. When I bought my first DV camcorder, i sold it though. The new DV-6SB I am using behaves like a smaller, lighter version of it although many others are saying the new DV series are not nearly as good. For the money, the new Sachtler DVs are a good deal. Sure the Video series are better but at two to three times the cost, they should be, right?

Dan
The Sachtler 18 tripod was a compromise to the 20 in that it was significantly less money, but you are right, it was a lot of money nonetheless. Good quality tripods probably have the slowest devalution of any type of production equipment one can buy, unless the tripod is damaged. Ten year old high quality tripods can sell for between 50%-80% of what they cost new.

Smoother camera moves can result in less editing fixes on a job per job basis and result in an overall more satisfied customer while slightly reducing editing time per job, so it is possible that the additional cost of the tripod can be amortized but it may be hard to actually prove it on paper or justify it to the wife, business owner or business partner.

Last edited by Alessandro Machi; February 19th, 2007 at 07:20 PM.
Alessandro Machi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 04:07 AM   #19
New Boot

I have a secced i got as a long time loan from a mate and while its a nice head to use with my pdw f330 its not in the same league as my vinten vision 11 when it comes to setting up the perfect ballance but it is useable. the legs are very heavy and the centre spreader broke yesterday it appears to have shattered in the cold (-5) so the build quality is pants but the pod is better than a manfrotto or similar
Des Carolan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads