Anyone using Sony EX3? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old October 14th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #16
Major Player

Hi
Now i see what you meen - an easy way to make a support for the lens. As you say it is quite expensive to buy and not very solid anyway. The two support pipes are quite expensive and your solution will do the same . at least. I´ll find someone to produce something like what I see on your pictures. Do you have some kind of drawing of the support ?
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #17
Major Player

I have just made a similar support to this using 3mm Al strip, 50 mm wide and 2 short lengths of U channel Al to support the massive (in the strict Physics meaning) Century 2x converter which hangs off the front of my Sony V1E.

Two plates on the top surface of the channel section support camera and lens, a third plate on the lower surface carries the sliding plate from my Manfrotto Universal sliding plate. I have the camera and the tripod supports offset so that I can balance the camera both with, and without the very heavy converter using the 357 PLONG plate
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Skelmose View Post
I have not noticed yet - guess I just use the camera in ways that do not make it visible :
http://ms1.tvmidtvest.dk/natur/video/Rovterne.wmv
This was the only chance I got to make the dive of this bird - it is not optimal but it give an idear of what you can use the camera for.
Nice clip, Bo!

Do you use the camera handheld, resting on the shoulder, or do you have it on a tripod? Have you tried a monopod or a steadicam when shooting flying birds?

Cheers
Sverker
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:04 AM   #19
Major Player

In this case I used a Canon broadcast 2/3" lens with an ex - 1/2" lens adapter. That was before I got the EX-2/3" adapter. I have both a Sachtler video 25 and a Sachtler video 18 tripod and in this case the video 18 holds the EX3 fine. Hope I will get the chance again - a little closer. But it is difficult to know when the bird hits the surface and stop diving - it would be easier in a larger picture but nicer in a closeup. Handheld could be fine for flying birds but I prefer the tripod and a tele.It is easier to follow them because the movement of the camera would not be so big.
Never tried a monopod or steadicam.
------bo
Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Skelmose View Post
Never tried a monopod or steadicam.
------bo
I am considering a steadicam. The idea of being mobile and filming flying birds without putting up a tripod - well, that would be something. From a boat, a car, you name it.

Of course there must be a limit on long lens one can use. I think I have to hire a Steadicam to my EX1.

Those of you with experience of Steadicams, are they good for a tele lens?

/Sverker
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:42 AM   #21
Major Player

Hi
When you operates with a tele you have to work with the focus all the time so I dont think you will be able to use a steadicam for filming flying birds. A steadicam is mostly used with a wideangle and and to soften your own movements - I dont know if you can handle the camera pans and tilts fast enough to follow the bird. But never say never - I do not have any experience in steadicam work myself. I'll b e very interested in whatever you find out.
Some birds are impossible to follow - small birds are unprodictable in their movements -- like butterflies moving up and down and sidewards all the time. One of the birds I am going to try soon, is the Kingfisher, but it is also to fast in their flight - only the dive from a tree would be possible.
.........bo
Old November 1st, 2008, 02:19 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

I shoot with an xl2 and have lenses already.

Can I use these canon lenses (you said you used a canon) or will I need another adapter??

I was going to go with the canon xlh1, but the ability to over crank would be a huge asset for my type of filming, mostly Waterfouwl and Raptors.

thanks for the comments!!!

the link below is an example of the kind of shooting I do.

Hunting the Hard Way, Uwol 7 on Vimeo
Old November 2nd, 2008, 05:40 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Dale, if they are autofocus lenses you can't use them on the EX as they don't have aperture rings.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:28 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Good evening,

Even on the xl2 the lenses have to have seperate zoom and focus rings.

eg. I use a 100 to 400 l series zoom lens. It can change aperature through the camera body.

However: I use a 200mm macro lens& a 500 mm lens where i set the aperature manually and this works just fine.

the real question is, will these EF and/or FD canon lenses work on the ex 1 or 3!!???

On the xl2 i use and ef adapter or with a fd converter as well.

Can I make these lenses work!!???
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:06 PM   #25
Regular Crew

FD yes ND no

Dale
Mike Tapa is planning to fabricate an EX3 FD converter, you can contact him personaly.
To make an EF lens work on EX3 or any other camera, the converter will have to engage some electronics to operate the aparture (can be done , but not practical).
Sassi Haham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 07:37 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Sassi,

I could live without the fd lenses, but what about the canon EF lenses!!!
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn View Post
I am considering a steadicam. The idea of being mobile and filming flying birds without putting up a tripod - well, that would be something. From a boat, a car, you name it.

Of course there must be a limit on long lens one can use. I think I have to hire a Steadicam to my EX1.

Those of you with experience of Steadicams, are they good for a tele lens?

/Sverker
Hej,

I shoot SteadiCam and cannot imagine that you could shoot birds while moving in a boat or from a car, let alone with a telephoto lens. SteadiCam is difficult and requires a lot of time and practice to master. Since I haven't mastered it entirely, I cannot say definitively that it would be impossible, but I think it probably is. Plus, you have to realize that you cannot operate a SteadiCam and make adjustments to the focal length, aperture, or focus (without additional rigging, and even then it would be very, very hard to do it all at once if possible at all). So following the flight of a bird would just be near impossible. Have you considered investing, instead, in a high-quality stabilizing lens? And budget aside, watch the making-of features on the Winged Migration DVD. That's how to shoot birds with a tracking shot!

skål!

Ramsey
colorado
Jonathan Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #28
Major Player

For those of you that are unaware the EX3 as a poorly designed tripod mount and needs to be reinforced especially when using longer lenses! This can be bough from either DM-Accessories or VF Gadgets. It’s essential!!!

Also the microphone holder is prone to breaking away so I highly recommend changing it for a cold-shoe mount again from DM-Accessories.

I use my EX-3 with lenses up to 600mm and high recommended the RRS (Really Right Stuff) Kennan Ward Super-Tele Package.

Fore/Aft Plate for the EX-3 and an additional required 80mm Clamp with Dual Mount (Platform).

I am also using the MTF Services Nikon to EX Mount Adaptor with great effect!

Also a cheaper alternative to the SxS Pro Memory Cards are great as long as you don’t over crank them! The adaptors can be purchased from E-Films and can be used with very successfully with Transcend Secure Digital Card SDHC Class 6 - 16GB the overall saving is about 90%.

Also a UV filter that allows the Lens Hood back on once fitted is the Hoya 77mm SHMC PRO1-D UV

Hope this helps anyone looking at the EX-3 as a wildlife camcorder! I love mine!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #29
Regular Crew

EX3 Review

Andrew - I did a quickie review of the Sony EX3 and posted it at:

Camcorder and Equipment Reviews for Nature and Wildlife Videography

In my opinion, when you look at the entire package, the EX3 can't be beat for wildlife work (interchangeable lens, relatively portable, widely accepted format, tapeless, overcranking, reasonable price, etc.). My only complaint is the lack of a pre-record cache. Last, I've had great success with the Kensington adapters and Transcend cards so I suggest saving a few bucks and going with those versus the Sony cards (but have at least one Sony card for maximum overcranking).
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Many thanks for posting the review. Have you come across any problems associated with the rolling shutter "jello" look that some others have made reference to? This may be evident on fast pans.

Andy
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land