Anyone using Sony EX3? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old January 31st, 2009, 04:42 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Inglis View Post
For those of you that are unaware the EX3 as a poorly designed tripod mount and needs to be reinforced especially when using longer lenses! This can be bough from either DM-Accessories or VF Gadgets. It’s essential!!!
I have been using the EX3 almost every day for the last 4 or 5 months and I am not sure I share this view.
Since when using long lenses I mount the camera+lens combo on the tripod via the lens "foot" - the camera is simply hanging on the lens - there is no need for this reinforcment.
I don't use any support to my camera+lens combo and it works fine for me.

Cheers,
http://www.oferlevyphotography.com
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 05:56 AM   #32
Major Player

Hi Ofer,

I used mine for several months without any problems too but never felt it was the strongest design in the world though. However when I received an email from a friend telling me that his EX-3 had fallen from his tripod I decided to investigate.

The tripod fixing plate at the bottom of the camera is made out of plastic and is held in place by four microscopic screws. It wouldn't take much for this to tear out at all! Just one accidental nudge and bang!

As far as I aware this problem is now fairly common knowledge and has been discussed at length somewhere else on this forum. I agree that if you are careful then you don't need to reinforce it but when using long lenses, placing microphones, external monitors on the camera then I feel it is essential.

To be honest I rather pay the small asking price for the reinforced plate that is mounted in three places than have to foot the bill if it fell off my tripod. Just to replace a lens would cost in excess of a £1000+, how much to repair a damaged camera???

I just felt obliged to inform potential EX-3 buyers and existing users of the problem. Don't get me wrong I love my EX-3 and wouldn't swap it for anything else - for the money it's an awesome wildlife camera.

Happy shooting,

Paul
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 06:13 AM   #33
Major Player

Hi Paul, I totally agree with you regarding the camera base being too weak!
I am only referring to the use of long telephoto lenses when the camera is not attached to the tripod but hanging on the lens which is attached to the tripod via its "foot".
Have a look in here:
Ofer Levy Nature Photographer - New Photos

This is how I use the long lenses and it works great! I do have to be careful as the camera-lens attachment is a bit fragile. So far so good.
Old January 31st, 2009, 06:29 AM   #34
Major Player

Hi Ofer,

Man that's some set-up. I would prefer to support the camera as well as that is putting some stress on the EX Mount! That's why I use the RRS Telephoto Rail! The camera weighs 4kgs plus you dropped in the larger 60 battery increasing it's weight further! If you support both you'll reduce the risk of vibration problems too (i.e. camera shake!).

Happy shooting,

Paul
Old January 31st, 2009, 06:35 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
I use my EX-3 with lenses up to 600mm and high recommended the RRS (Really Right Stuff) Kennan Ward Super-Tele Package.

Fore/Aft Plate for the EX-3 and an additional required 80mm Clamp with Dual Mount (Platform).
The above will support both the lens and the camera!
Old January 31st, 2009, 06:41 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
I would prefer to support the camera as well as that is putting some stress on the EX Mount!
We discussed this before, I agree with you Paul that it's quite a heavy thing to hang off the back of a Nikon mount! But each to their own, and Ofer's results speak for themselves.
My suggestion was getting a left hand pan bar and rotating it up under the camera base just to give it a bit a bracing.

Ofer, any clips to show now, always enjoy your work?

Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 07:07 AM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
We discussed this before, I agree with you Paul that it's quite a heavy thing to hang off the back of a Nikon mount! But each to their own, and Ofer's results speak for themselves.
My suggestion was getting a left hand pan bar and rotating it up under the camera base just to give it a bit a bracing.

Ofer, any clips to show now, always enjoy your work?

Steve
Hi Steve, I have been filming like mad in the last few months, however, I still have to get the MacPro and the FCP so I can sort out all the endless hours I got.
I got my new website ready for video clips presentation as well so I hope it will happen in a few weeks. (I have been saying this for a few months - I know...)-: )
Old January 31st, 2009, 07:13 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Ofer,

Man that's some set-up. I would prefer to support the camera as well as that is putting some stress on the EX Mount! That's why I use the RRS Telephoto Rail! The camera weighs 4kgs plus you dropped in the larger 60 battery increasing it's weight further! If you support both you'll reduce the risk of vibration problems too (i.e. camera shake!).

Happy shooting,

Paul
I guess we will have to agree to disagree...(-:
I don't feel the camera is too heavy to be hanging on the lens and I am certain that adding the support system has nothing to do with reducing vibrations. I got perfectly vibration free footage even when using a 600mm lens on a Z7 as long as I don't directly touch the camera/tripod/head. I always use a rubber band to get the camera movement and it works like magic. I have also managed to solve the problem of wind induced vibrations by using a hide.
Old January 31st, 2009, 07:39 AM   #39
Inner Circle

I have to say that 4kg is a lot of weight without support though. It's the same as mounting a stills camera body on a tripod head then putting a 500mm f4 lens onto it hanging off the front - also about 4kg. You'd never ever consider doing it, you'd mount the lens onto the head and have the body hanging off the back of it.
But, I do know that you're critical about your work and you wouldn't do it if you thought it was causing your results to be less than perfect.
Steve
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:04 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
I have to say that 4kg is a lot of weight without support though. It's the same as mounting a stills camera body on a tripod head then putting a 500mm f4 lens onto it hanging off the front - also about 4kg. You'd never ever consider doing it, you'd mount the lens onto the head and have the body hanging off the back of it.
But, I do know that you're critical about your work and you wouldn't do it if you thought it was causing your results to be less than perfect.
Steve
The body is only around 2Kg and not 4Kg so it is not that much heavier than the stock lens to which you won't consider using any support...
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:53 AM   #41
Major Player

Ofer that true! I forgot to subtract the lens you took off! Silly me! 2kgs isn't so bad! But I'd still like to support my nonetheless! As you say each to their own! It's the end results that matter most!

If I set-up my camera look you I know I'll knock it off within ten minutes - I get so engrossed with the subject that'll just forget it's hanging off!

Just been browsing through your site - you have some nice work! Will keep an eye out for your new vids.

I keep meaning to upload some to my site but never seem to get around too it!

Happy shooting,

Paul
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:19 AM   #42
Inner Circle

OK, so 2kg is not so bad, not that much more than a Nikon D3 etc. I suppose.
Steve
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #43
Regular Crew

I don't understand why all video cameras aren't made to accept a heavy duty 2 screw tripod mounting plate. What I've done to stop any shifting is by using clear silcone between the camera and mounting plate. If you have to remove it for any reason simply use a sharp utility knife and carefully cut around the perimeter than pry it off with your hands.

Leon Lorenz
Canadian Wildlife Productions: Grizzly Bears, Bighorm Sheep in Alberta & BC Rockies DVD Videos
Leon Lorenz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land