Infrared wildlife filming at night - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old December 25th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #61
Major Player

Re: Infrared wildlife filming at night

Hmmm, that doesn’t seem right (the situation- not necessarily the answer from B&H). Have you also tried to record 720P? If this is true then the Blade shouldn’t recognize it either I would think. I have the earlier model Everfocus (EQH5200) that Bo recommended in his original thread. It only outputs 1080i and 720P. My original Samurai records both from that camera with no problems. (Samurai does not record 1080P like Blade.) I would contact Atomos Support. They have been very helpful to me. Please keep us updated on whatever resolution to this problem you find.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #62
Major Player

Bo does however mention he has the EQH5102, the same as I do. And he did run a test with the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2, which seems to work. I can't test 720P because I need input on the monitor to change the setting and I don't get any input.

B&H does recommend this camera: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/857378-REG/Orion_Images_CHDC_21BSDC_CHDC21_BSDC_2_1_MP_Full.html
But I am not sure if I want to take the risk (and costs) of sending back the Everfocus from Europe to the States and then get another camera sent back to me again. If I am sure the Shuttle will solve the problem I may as well return the Samurai Blade and order a Shuttle 2 with a seperate monitor from my local dealer. It will however all be pointless if it turns out that I just have a faulty camera.

Will send a message to Atomos.
Old December 25th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #63
Major Player

Cees- Can you use the composite video out to get to the OSD? On my model it is a RCA but I believe on yours it is a BNC. If so, you should be able to switch the SDI out to 720P and also could at least confirm whether or not the camera is functioning.
Old December 25th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #64
Major Player

Cees.
I have both everfocus cameras.. Have you tried to put a composite monitor to the test out and mess with the settings. Do not remember my settings but the camera might output 1920x1080 50p and then almost nothing can view the output!
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #65
Major Player

Bo and Mike,

Both thanks for coming in. I do not have composite monitor. Suppose the Samurai Blade does not take in composite? Connecting the analog 'test' out of the Everfocus to the Blade gives a No Input message anyhow as well.

The everfocus can output 1080p25/30 and 720p50/60. Each of this formats is supported by the Blade, so whatever the setting in the camera is, it should be accepted by the Blade unless it is indeed an unsupported standard that is send out by the Everfocus or the camera is faulty.
Old December 25th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #66
Major Player

Hi Cess
I look into the settings tomorrow. I cannot remember if the setting stated here Product Detail Page is right about the 1080 50p setting on the output! We will make it work. :)
Just checked the PDF from everfocus and it seems that 1080 50p is a misprint. Yes you should be able to get a picture out. I have not had any problems with recorders for HDSDI and the small everfocus cameras. My Panasonic P2 recorder and my black magic capture cards record the signal fine too! Both my smallHD and Panasonic monitor show the picture directly out of the cameras. Be aware that some recorders do not auto match to the input but they should manually be set to the same resolution and frames per sec.

Last edited by Bo Skelmose; December 25th, 2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old December 25th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #67
Major Player

No, the Blade won’t work with composite. It should detect any signal it can record and display No Input otherwise. If you don’t have a composite monitor, try connecting the camera Test out to the video input of a DVD player connected to a television. (You might need a BNC to RCA adapter.) According to the EQH5102 user manual it should default to PAL output on the test and 1080P25 on the SDI.
Old December 26th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #68
Major Player

I have ordered a BNC to RCA adapter. Can't I just connect it directly to the television? Why to the dvd player that is connected to the television?
Old December 26th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #69
Major Player

Yes, go directly into the television if it has the correct (composite) input. Hopefully you will be able to see the on screen display and change settings to get everything working. Don’t forget that the camera defaults to using a lens with DC iris so you will have to change that also to use a manual lens if needed.
Old December 29th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #70
Major Player

Received the BNC to RCA adapter and connected the camera to my television. That works. So I have access to the OSD menu now. Tried every output setting. 1080p30, 1080p25, 720p60, 720p50. No input in the Samurai Blade. This supports the statement of B&H that this camera will not be recognised by standard HD-SDI recording devices. But on the other hand this can't be true since you guys seem to be able to work with it. So I am stuck now.
Old December 29th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #71
Major Player

All the surveilance cameraes with HD-SDI out I have tested, do work with Professionel HD-SDI equipment.
They do not gurantee it - but it works. Do you have a converter from HD-DI to HDMI to check with a lowcost monitor that it do send out a signal on the HD-SDI out or any kind of monitor with HD-SDI? You are welcome to send the camera to me and I'll test it!
Old December 29th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #72
Major Player

Also, I recommend you hook that Samurai Blade to another HD-SDI source and verify it is working properly. I can’t understand why Everfocus would make the output of that camera nonstandard and what it is designed to work with if they did. Sorry about all the problems you are having- wish I were more help.
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:49 AM   #73
Trustee

Hi guys

I'm heading out to Namibia in January to film a sequence of Golden Moles (and a few other things). Looks like we are shooting in IR and using the converted 5d again. If we can get them to except some white light we might try the C300.

Has anyone come across or knows of anywhere that has an IR converted C300?

Cheers
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 08:53 AM   #74
Major Player

An IR converted C300? Now that is a very interesting idea. If you shoot with one, Mat, please share the details.

I’ve been wondering if anyone here has experience illuminating with an IR laser like, for example, this one:

2W Professional Portable Infrared (808nm) Nightvision Laser Illuminator - Detailed item view - OdicForce Lasers Online Shop
Old December 31st, 2013, 05:06 PM   #75
Major Player

Bo, Thanks for your offer to test my camera. I have however tested every possible setting. Also the 720p to both the Samurai Blade and my Nanoflash. Nothing works. Both devices capture the HD-SDI signal from my FS700, so it is clearly the Everfocus camera that is the problem.

Received a message from Atomos that their product works with the Everfocus EQH5201, but they don't know about the EQH5102 (be aware of the slightly different model number).

I will send the camera back to B&H and work out another solution.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land