Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #6 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 4th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #46
Major Player

Thanks, guys. Sounds good. Pretty much what I expected, but I was feeling a bit out of the loop.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #47
Wrangler

Hi Daniel: Just to add what the boys already said.

You pretty much nailed the spirit of the thing--UWOL started out as a discovery-animal planet wannabe type of contest, and our original mission statement, quoted by Mat, still reflects that. But the Challenge has evolved in a few different directions since then, to support a broader range of interpretations of what "Under Water, Over Land" can be, and we welcome that....

Maybe it helps to think of it this way: the planet is our muse, and that means a lot of different things to people all over the world.

I think a re-enactment of the quest for fire would be a hoot, if that's what you're alluding to.... Round up the cave-folk and shoot it! Better than zombies....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #48
Major Player

Haha. That would be lots of fun. I was thinking a bit more modern (though I'll refrain from giving too much more away).
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #49
Wrangler

i think we need to chip in and buy bryce a flashlight. something with some wattage!

push that gain, open that iris. learn that camera! if you can do this one, bryce, the rest will seem sooo easy.

i'm going to start mine tomorrow night. i can't wait! i have so many ideas, that my plan is going to be to try them all and see what sticks....which is sort of my way of saying, i don't have a plan! just a bunch of interesting camera experiments!
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #50
Trustee

well i'm fresh off the first night of shooting. I can't say it was overly successful -a very drunk band of, literally a band, of people would not stop playing and singing the same sad song (very badly i might add). It was so dark I couldn't see them, but they had to be like 200m down the mountainside. I tried to stay as long as I could, wanting a good time lapse, but gee whiz! So i spent most of the time driving around or hiking looking for something lol
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #51
Trustee

Well, I'm back from Sweden, there was lot's of threads to read and interesting to hear about what others are planning and trying out.

I will start up this week shooting for my plan A. I'm a citizen in the capital of Norway, Oslo. It's lot of green areas, parks etc. surrounding the city. A city by night will always have lots of ambient light, which I think will be suitable to make decent footage and there are (hopefully) some animals/birds out there in the night.
This will be my first attempt to film something in an urban environment ever!

I'm a freaking wildlifephotographer which don't like the city and the noisy, disturbant environment... ...what I'm doing here... ...hmmm, maybe this can change my mind and discover other sides of the city which I haven't thought about before! This gonna be very interesting!

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; November 5th, 2007 at 04:08 AM. Reason: correcting misspelling text
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #52
Trustee

I went out with Claire on Saturday night for a meal and drinks. On the walk back we heard probably the most un-stealthy fox ever....I guess he had probably found a leftover of can of strong lager or something and was a little worse for wear! Anyway he was trying to haul something out of some bushes and making a fine ruckus doing it. As he scampered past us he dropped his quarry by mistake, it was obviously something tasty as he came back again and then trotted off up the carpark.

I think Foxes are great. Am I taking my camera back into the town centre around all the drunks.........NO WAY !

But it was still cool to see the un-stealthy fox!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #53
Trustee

Thanks for the encouragement Meryem,
I've just got back from my third night out shooting, & well, to be honest, i haven't yet rolled the camera on anything that i'm after. I'm still formulating my plan B just incase i have infact set my own bar waaaaay too high. Ok, 2 more weeks left, that means i will have to get something in the next week & a half, or atleast have my plan B ready to roll, or i'll be going for a swim!
Bryce
Bryce Comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #54
Trustee

I just found out that what I want to shoot doesn't start until the 12th. SO, I guess I just have to be patient.
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #55
Wrangler

wow, we drove per out of his mountain lair and into the city to grab some fake light...this *will* be interesting.

i can't wait to get mine going tonight. i finally have a little time to shoot and...it's nothing but bright sunshine and blue skies out there--damn these conditions!!
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #56
Major Player

Meryem, this might be of help to you:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials.html?id=1

:-0
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #57
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
it's nothing but bright sunshine and blue skies out there--damn these conditions!!
I'd give a lot for your sunshine and blue sky.
It has been raining nonstop since before sunset yesterday.

Still twisting my brain trying to come up with a good idea for the NIGHT.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #58
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Evans View Post
Meryem, this might be of help to you:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials.html?id=1

:-0
rob, that is pretty funny--see, everybody, there are people are paying good money to generate an effect that you get to produce in nature for free! where is the gratitude??

trond, get some wattage and illuminate that rain and work it in slow-mo...i bet you could make something pretty. one of my favorite opening shots in a UWOL entry--i think it was steve siegel's but i'd have to check, in my opinion, was for WATER, and it opened with a shot of rain running down a window. it was a very pretty daylight shot, but for night, you could light it from indoors from all sorts of angles and not even get wet. water is an excellent reflector.
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #59
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
trond, get some wattage and illuminate that rain and work it in slow-mo...i bet you could make something pretty. one of my favorite opening shots in a UWOL entry--i think it was steve siegel's but i'd have to check, in my opinion, was for WATER, and it opened with a shot of rain running down a window. it was a very pretty daylight shot, but for night, you could light it from indoors from all sorts of angles and not even get wet. water is an excellent reflector.
Hmm, an idea is tumbling around in my head...
Thanks for the tip.
I think Per Johan has done something like that too, some time ago. (also daylight)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #60
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond Saetre View Post
I think Per Johan has done something like that too, some time ago. (also daylight)
Yes, thats correct. In fact that was long before the uwol-challenge. High up in the mountains in a small cottage, with only wood-burning stove, there will always be dewdrops inside the windows, especially in wintertime. I was sitting inside looking at those dewdrops and decided to make some footage of them. I also did some slow motion clip of drops from icicle. I'm sure that could be done in night with some light too.

OT: Meryem, I was joining a display of the Red camcorder in Oslo tonight! Wow the 2/4K screening was just amazing to view. If I had the budget I would order one right now. And of course a huge Mac Pro with FCP2 (6.02 patch is around the corner), a huge disk-array, accessories etc, etc... ;-)
I gonna be very jealous when you got yours!
But I'm not sure if I could have used it up in the mountains anyway. Think I gonna need a couple of sherpas!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge