Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #6 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 5th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #61
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
Think I gonna need a couple of sherpas!
i've seen the amount of gear you carry, my friend...you *are* a couple of sherpas...!

it is gonna be interesting to find the lightest possible set-up...we'll see how my plastic tripod handles RED...

(joking!)
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #62
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
it is gonna be interesting to find the lightest possible set-up...we'll see how my plastic tripod handles RED...

(joking!)
They screened some footage taken in Bergen (Hi Trond!) by night. The only light was ambient light found in the street they was filming.
The two professional cinemaphotographers who was doing the trial was amazed how bright the camcorder was in low light conditions, so was I when I view the screening! Whish I had that camcorder right now for this challenge ;-)
This camcorder, I think it was #35 is very bright in daylight conditions, which we could see in some of the samples, some underexposure was clarly recommended by the team. Note that they didn't use any ND or other filters in this trial.
The specific camcorder was unfortunately not present, so we couldn't have any hands on to it, could have been cool :-)
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #63
Major Player

Tonight's the night the focal point of my proposed film arrived during the wee hours of this morning and will depart shortly. So I shoot tonight of come up with a complete new plan. The bad part in all this is that it's very cold -25 the wind is blowing and from time to time snow gets thrown in just to add more to deal with. Avoiding frost bite will be as much of a challenge as shooting in low light.

I'll report my success or failure tomorrow.

Wishing everone the best of luck.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #64
Major Player

Hey all, I'm a touched confused (and stuck for ideas)

For the UWOL challenges do our videos need narrative story lines as such? I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with ideas at the moment. Do we need to create video that simply shows landscapes, seascapes, nature etc... Or do we produce narrative videos that incorporate nature in some way?

I'm a bit baffled and could use some pointers please.
Sorry if this has been asked before.

Dave
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #65
Major Player

Sorry, I just read back a page or two and someone had asked this question, so I now have the info I was after, thanks anyway and sorry to bother everyone.

Dave
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #66
Trustee

The ball has started to roll!

Ok, i've finally captured something tonight. I was really starting to worry that i wouldn't get anything after having spent 3 nights out in the bush. Hopefully with the weather on the improve, the wildlife will also improve! I haven't yet digitized anything, so i'm not sure how it's come out, but hopefully it will have been worth the wait.
I hope every one elses plans are also coming together.

Bryce
Bryce Comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:16 AM   #67
Trustee

Bryce,

Glad to hear that you have something in the can.

I've rolled my camera a couple times but still haven't come up with anything.

Still haven't hit the idea that clicks.

I've had three or four ideas that I thought would work but as I thought them through I realized there wasn't enough there to really make something of it.
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #68
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Robinson View Post
Hey all, I'm a touched confused (and stuck for ideas)

For the UWOL challenges do our videos need narrative story lines as such? I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with ideas at the moment. Do we need to create video that simply shows landscapes, seascapes, nature etc... Or do we produce narrative videos that incorporate nature in some way?

I'm a bit baffled and could use some pointers please.
Sorry if this has been asked before.

Dave
Dave, look at thread #41 in this thread. Daniel Ross is questioning almost the same as you, read some of the answers from Kevin, Mat and Meryem and you are on the road again!
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #69
Trustee

Plans for uwol#6

OK, then I'm on the road :)

Plan A:

Date: Evening/night time 10th and 11th October - no matter how the weather is, and of caurse it's gonna be terrible - it's uwol time folks and we've been having rain/bad weather since before uwol 5 :)

Equipment (some of it):
Wetsuit (oh, so cold)
Video lights
Bonfire, some kind of...
Seaweed :)
Canon XLH1 + tripod

Story:
Well, that's yet to be a secret :)

Narrations: yes

Music: I think so

Plan B (hope not):
Hmmm, let's see....
Our cat out on the porch looking for night life.
Me inside the house filming the cat through open window.
And some great music from Sonicfire Pro.

Hehehe, thats my plan for uwol#6

Geir Inge
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #70
Trustee

Nice to see you have a plan Geir!

I've got to say I'm looking suspiciously like shark food at the moment. I have something in the pipeline but It relies on other people too and with only a little over 10 days shooting left I'm kind of doubtful its going to come off!

I guess I should be thinking of a plan B....oh dear!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #71
Major Player

I'm thinking shark food.....

I went out last night straight from the office in an attempt to capture the key to my proposed film. I put about 20 minutes in the can, froze my fingers and toes went home had a double of warm up then viewed the capture. End result I have 20 minutes of nothing, crap, turd.

It's back to the story board and maybe the tank......

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #72
Trustee

Well tonight will be my first try to get anything, but when I read what others have reported I'm not too optimistic!

It's a cold and clear evening here tonight, so even if the footage don't do I will get some fresh air :-)
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #73
Major Player

Tomorrow I’m heading out to a nice location. It is an old pier, that’s the spot I’ll hunt for my creatures from the deep blue… I got a really nice idea; I hope I can get it on tape. Meryem, if I want to incorporate the UWOL logo (the one from the website), is that ok and if, can I get it in .eps or .png (or what every is possible)?

Markus Nord
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #74
Trustee

I'm done except for refining the edits and adding a touch of music. Two of us went out night before last and set up lights to film some outdoor night activity.

Despite a cold front that literally blew in causing constant blown over lights and stands, we got enough done.

The wind was so bad it was the first time my Deadcat windmuff couldn't handle it. The audio is OK but without the Deadcat, sound would have been unusable.

So unless a sudden better idea comes along, I'll be requesting the upload password in a few days.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #75
Trustee

Low light settings

Just a note about low light settings. If you have the Canon XL2 or XLH1 there are som information here at the DvInfo.

For XLH1 there are presets to download:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=66776, look for PRESET07.CPF: LOWLT12 -- for shooting in low light with 12db gain.
I will use this preset tonight and will report back my opinion.

For XL2 I found this intesting thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...light=lowlight

Hope this can help some of you, struggling in the dark. If others have any tips for different camcorders, post a thread!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge