UWOL #7 "Vera In Wonderland" by Trond Saetre - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 25th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #16
Major Player

This was really fun to watch. Vera is growing up so fast- but she is still a bundle of energy. I liked the variety of shots, and the energy of the music NEARLY matched hers :)

Ruth
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Vidar,
I'm glad you like the film.

Rob,
You are right, it was all filmed in a very small area. Maybe 50 x 50 meters.
I'll keep that in mind to next time... Include more of the location itself.

Dale,
You bet Vera has a character.
You can see it in her eyes when she's up to something.

Ruth,
I am really glad you like it. Yes, Vera is a huge bundle of energy. She loves running around, and it seems like her favorite is playing in the snow.
Nope, the music isn't even close to match Vera's energy, haha. (Maybe in the film, though)

Thank you for the feedback!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Trond,

Well, Vera certainly had quite an adventure!

Lovely film - very relaxing and enjoyable to watch. I think you captured the situation very well however, I also would have liked to have seen some wider angles of what looked like a pristine lake.

I notice you used disloves as well as sharp transitions - which did detract a little from the start. I probably would have overlapped the disolves on the timeline - or just used the sharp transitions throughout the film however, I am nit picking a bit here.

This is definately the best in image quality I have watched so far - very sharp indeed.

Nice one Trond.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #19
Major Player

Like most people I cant believe how big that Dog has grown.I understand how you feel when she jumps into the water and you have your cam pointing in the other direction.Great colours in you video.....I need to get some compression tips from you because every time I compress my video all the rich colours wash out
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dennis Robertson View Post
Great colours in you video.....I need to get some compression tips from you because every time I compress my video all the rich colours wash out
I use Sorenson Squeeze 4.5 for compressing/encoding to quicktime.
I'll check the settings when I get back home from work, but I think I had the bitrate fairly high at around 2400kbps.

Edit:
John, sent you a mail.

Last edited by Trond Saetre; February 26th, 2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #21
Trustee

Trond, what a great video of Vera and your sister. It was so much fun to watch them playing in the wild. What fun. Makes me really miss my old doggie. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hey Trond, good film. At the end were you suggesting the whole thing was a dream. If so we have both cat and dog dream adventures represented this time. Also, I liked the idea of having the small frame in her eye reflect what she saw. A good way to do that is in Photoshop where you can take a still image and trim the edges to fit the eye just right and use an opacity gradient, takes more time though. Anyway, I liked it, keep it up.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrinn Chellton View Post
At the end were you suggesting the whole thing was a dream. If so we have both cat and dog dream adventures represented this time. Also, I liked the idea of having the small frame in her eye reflect what she saw. A good way to do that is in Photoshop where you can take a still image and trim the edges to fit the eye just right and use an opacity gradient, takes more time though. Anyway, I liked it, keep it up.
Adrinn, yes the ending sequence was supposed to show that it was all a dream.
I am aware that it is possible to do it better in Photoshop, but the time was running out, and I just did it in Premiere instead. But thank you for the heads up about this detail.

Bob,
I'm glad you had fun watching it.
Having fun is an important part of the uwol challenge, both when making and when watching the films.
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #24
Trustee

Hi Trond, Vera and Trude.

Nice film and Vera is becoming quite a moviestar :)
You've made a fine mix between original sound and music. Also your editing skills has improved. I have just one comment (personal opinion), maybe you or perhaps Trude should try out to be Veras voice? Text in a small videoframe somehow dissapers from the viewer.

Wish you all the best my friend.
Geir Inge
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Inge View Post
maybe you or perhaps Trude should try out to be Veras voice? Text in a small videoframe somehow dissapers from the viewer.
I will definitely keep your suggestion in my mind for future films of Vera.
These kind of comments is what I learn from, so thank you very much.
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #26
Major Player

Trond you make me miss my dog. And I'd just gotten over him too! Nice fun film.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:13 AM   #27
Major Player

Trond
Vera is really growing. I thought you did a good job putting this one together. As mentiones a couple of rough cuts there is the things I noticed. Maybe a cut away would work to transistion between them? Anyway you are improving each round.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:22 PM   #28
Major Player

This was a delightful movie Trond. I really enjoyed seeing the stunning scenery that formed the backdrop to Vera’s adventure and thought the transitions at the beginning were very effective. Your images are very clear. Thought your ending also very effective although I’m not sure the square image coming from the eye in the scene before worked that well.

I just loved the scenes of Vera’s bath and her reaction to it and then the way she went back and barked at the water/reflections - not sure she’ll do that again in a hurry!
Oh yes Trond - I distinctly heard Vera say “C’mon guys!!! what’s the hold-up?!!” at :39 :)
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 03:23 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Eric,
Yes it's amazing how close we get attached to the dogs. They really become a true family member.

Gordon,
Yes, the rough cuts should never have been there. Thanks for the tip about using cut aways. I'll remember that.

Marj,
I'm glad you liked it.
I can see what you mean about the square image. The idea was to do something special instead of only the regular transitions. Guess it didn't work out as it should. But it was fun trying it. Might have worked slightly better if the image was round instead of square?
Oh, and at :39, Vera was waiting for my sister to take a bunch of photos of her.
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Wonderful film

It looks like Vera was having a ball out there. Great shots and a beautiful area. I liked the part where Vera was sleeping and dreaming of her adventure.
Thanks making this film, I really liked it alot.
Warren Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge