XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 4th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
Lilliput makes a 7inch 16:9 LCD screen with 1024x480 res, a touch screen and VGA input. I took out the touch screen for enhanced image quality and it looks great!

Use it to focus my XL2/M2 combo
Matthew,

Do you know what model it is and the approx price? Sounds like it could work well. Also does it mount on the XL2? If so is it a shoe mount or rear bracket mount?

Colin
Colin Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #32
Regular Crew

16x9 production monitor for xl2?

guys, soon I'm starting filming and I'm going to be using XL2.
Can you please tell me a relatively cheap production monitor, I could buy with 16x9 ratio. It's important for me to see exactly what the composition will be, as well.
Victor Burdiladze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Victor I would suggest checking out the Xenarc 7 or 8 inch units if you're on a budget. I think they are about $350 USD

Ben Winter and others on this forum has seen them and say they are quite good.
They are 800x480 vs. the Varizoom and several others which are all 480x240. It does make a big difference even with composite/SVideo. I find the previous class a bit mushy for my liking

I was looking for a 16:9 aswell but and went for the Marshall HDA with component input. Thats is about $1350 USD but worth it.

Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #34
Regular Crew

thaks Paul,
what do you think about JVC, like this one for example
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
do you think I'm better of going for CTR monitors as oposed to Xenarc's lcd?
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #35
Major Player

after you factor in the size and weight of a crt monitor, and it's still an option for you, i'd suggest getting the crt. i've used the jvc in the link you provided, and it's color accuracy and resolution will prove far more useful for focus and color checking than any camera mountable lcd i've used (and i've been through a few). that said, i have no experience with the xenarc or any of the high-end hd lcds out there now.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Thanks Henry, I agree with you on CRTs... that's probably the one for me especially when I don't want to spend $1200 for monitor....
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:48 PM   #37
Major Player

TFT Monitor

I purchased a 7" TFT monitor for my XL 2 . It has an SG cable. What kind of adapter do I need to connect to the camera? Also, what is the best method of attaching the monitor to the camera?
Thanks,
John
John Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Onboard Monitor for XL2

Hi all. I’ve been looking for a monitor to attach to my XL2 that’s about 7 inches that will go between 16X9 and 4X3. It has to be lightweight and portable, meaning battery powered or phantom powered (somehow). I don’t want to spend over 500$ but I will go a little over if I have to. I have looked for months to try to find one and have found a few, but they are either to expensive, they won’t work with the XL2 or they don’t shift between 16X9 and 4X3. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
Alan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #39
Obstreperous Rex

Moved to Monitors forum from XL2 forum.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #40
Major Player

Have a read through ths thread...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=68671

I went with the Varizoom VZ-TFT 7” 16:9 it does just what you want.

Everything you want at $475
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Bill
Old July 15th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #41
New Boot

Hi Alan,

I did a quick search of the web for you and came up with an auction on Ebay that may be the type of monitor you are looking for. I dont have any experience with this monitor nor do I have anything to do with the seller. I am looking for a monitor for my XL2 also and thought I would give you the link to check out. Hopefully it is what you are looking for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-7-Pro-LCD-Mo...QQcmdZViewItem

Tom
Tom York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Tom, I actually already have one of those and I'm not happy with it. It is a TV set not a portable LCD monitor. It has to be pluged in to an electrical outlet. As a TV it works great though so if u are buying it for that then great choice. Bill, I actually posted this in the XL2 fourm area and wasnt even looking in the monitor forum at the time. Thanx for the fast response.
Alan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #43
Major Player

BTW, I use that exact monitor on my XL2 so I know it will work.
It will even flip the image incase you ever use a “mini35” or the like.

Oh yeah my post started out in the XL2 forum as well. :-)

Bill
Old July 15th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #44
New Boot

Hi Bill,

I have read in other posts that the resolution of the Varizoom is a bit lacking. Do you have any experience with the Ikan monitor. My choices are narrowing down to those two setups now that Alan has set me straight on the monitor that I found on Ebay.....you get what you pay for I guess, gotta keep reminding myself of that. I have read of basically 3 different monitors, the Varizoom, Marshall and the Ikan monitor, all basically in the same price point. Basically what I am looking for is a 16:9 native resolution, small form factor in the 5 - 7 inch range, be able to run on batteries for a decent amount of time and be under $750. So I think Alan and I are looking for the same basic thing. Any help that you or others can provide would be great.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan James
Tom, I actually already have one of those and I'm not happy with it. It is a TV set not a portable LCD monitor. It has to be pluged in to an electrical outlet. As a TV it works great though so if u are buying it for that then great choice. Bill, I actually posted this in the XL2 fourm area and wasnt even looking in the monitor forum at the time. Thanx for the fast response.
All monitors will have to be plugged into a power source battery or A/C, none I know of will run off of your cameras power. Few if any will have underscan, and most are just used to get a larger view of what you are shooting. I have a Varizoom.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software