XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 30th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #76
Regular Crew

That might do it. I'll give that a try later.
Kelly Harmsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 07:29 AM   #77
New Boot

On-board monitor for XL2

Hey guys, I had my weapon for afew months now and I realise sometimes the viewfinder isnt sufficent enuff to help me focus, most of the time its 'trial and error'...

ANyone has any onboard monitor to recomment for the XL2??
Something doesnt cost a bomb too...

Thanks for reading, cheers
david, singapore
David Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 08:32 AM   #78
Major Player

David,

Read through this thread I think you will find what you need. :-)
I ended up with the Varizoom 7" you may need a higher res monitor like the Marshall for focusing of course you will spend the $$$$ to match.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=68671

Bill
Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:46 AM   #79
New Boot

Hi kyle, yes thats exactly what I did, I see DIY-mounts like these...
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRACKET-combo-Ca...QQcmdZViewItem
Has anyone here tried one of these before?

Hi Bill, I read thru the thread, hows ur the performence of ur varizoom, and how portable is it when you are running around shooting stuff?

I have been searching around my country and I cant find dealers who can help me bring them in...
If I'm gonna buy it online, where do u think I shld buy from?

David, singapore :D
David Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 06:39 AM   #80
Major Player

David,

The Varizoon 7" has worked out quite well, but I do not "run" around with it.
I have had it on the camera with a tripod and picked it up and moved it with no problems. For run and gun I have always used the viewfinder.

A good place to buy stuff here in the US is B&H good people and they ship overseas.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

No experence with that ebaY thing seems too pricey to me.
Interresting but pricey.

Bill
Old September 3rd, 2006, 11:30 AM   #81
Inner Circle

I also use DV-Rack and I think it is a great piece of software - the focus and exposure cards are very useful. The latency is a minor annoyance but more than made up for by the host of other facilities.

One complaint about using a laptop in the field (or even in the studio) with a firewire cable is that firewire connectors are SO ridiculously flimsy and are easily pulled out.

When on location, I like to have the laptop a little way away from the camera in order to facilitate easy movement of the camera (I tend to keep it on a dolly when I can). I couldn't find a 4-pin to 4-pin cable length that was long enough so I bought a 6-pin to 6-pin cable (10m) and a couple of 6 to 4-pin adapters. And of course that makes it even more flimsy! Even using a shorter length 4 to 4 in the studio is a bit hit and miss. Clearly, a tape is still a required safety net.

Quite why the developers of firewire chose to adopt such a feeble connector I cannot understand.

That said, the removal of the capture process is a joy!

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 06:04 AM   #82
Major Player

One question I have is if you buy a monitor from B&H or w/e what do you use to mount it to the camera? Ive seen people mount it to the hotshoe, and on the back. How do you hook the monitor to the camera?

-Kyle
Old September 8th, 2006, 03:44 AM   #83
Inner Circle

I just use a cheap (ha! actually very expensive for what it is) portable 7" lcd tv.

To be honest, I use it primarily for framing and focusing and not for colour balance, exposure etc. The refresh rate is relatively poor but it serves a purpose and means I can take my eye away from the viewfinder and direct off screen action as well. On a recent music video shoot I used it in b&w (the final format for the video) which gave me a great idea of what the pictures would look like, even though I was shooting in colour.

It's powered by 12v dc or 10 AA batteries and I get around 3 hours use from one charge. It's mounted to the XL2 accessory plate, using the car mounting that came supplied with it. The battery pack also acts as a stand which just gets in the way so I attach that to the accessory plate using a spring loaded clamp (looks better than elastic bands!).

I've attached a few pictures to give you a better idea.

Ian . . .

ps, and if you are vaguely curious, here's a link to some stills taken from the video itself http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=74761
Attached Thumbnails
XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD-img_0003.jpg   XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD-img_0062.jpg  

XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD-img_0334.jpg  
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:03 AM   #84
New Boot

Ian,

is it possible if you can take few more close up picture of the back of the LCD? i have the same LCD. Thanks
James Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #85
Inner Circle

Hi James,

The camera/monitor etc is dismantled at the moment, in preparation for transportation to a shoot on Thursday/Friday.

I'd be more than happy to take a few close ups then (feel free to remind me!).

Ian . . .
Old September 12th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #86
Tourist

Very nice work, now I just have to find that lcd in Canada
Riley McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #87
Inner Circle

Riley, if you're talking about the LCD that I use, it's a Maxim MX11-47, if that helps you find one in Canada. I have to say that it is only really of use for framing and partly for focusing. The refresh rate is poor, as is the resolution. For the price, though, it serves a purpose. When I'm in a studio or other indoors location I use a laptop with DV-Rack - that gives me much better focusing, exposure, colour etc control.

If you're not talking about the LCD I use then I apologise for butting in and I'll shut up now!
Old October 15th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #88
Major Player

LCD Color Monitor on a $200 budget?

I'm looking for a LCD Color Monitor to mount on my XL2 for $200 or less. I found this one on ebay. I was hoping for some suggestions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-LCD-Monitor-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old October 15th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #89
Major Player

I think I'm dreaming here. OK... better yet how much above $200 would I need to do to get something decent? I would like tha ability to view 16x9.
Old October 21st, 2006, 05:43 PM   #90
Major Player

Ian, what kind of matte box is that?
Adam Bray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software