XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 24th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #121
Major Player

What do you guy's think? The big one with 4:3
http://www.ikancorp.com/pages/monitors/V9200/index.htm

or the smaller one with out 4:3
http://www.ikancorp.com/pages/monitors/v8000w/index.htm

I actually do shoot in 4:3. I hate to not have because I think it still has some use. Just Friday night I shot in 4:3..

What happens when a 4:3 signal hits the V8000W? Does it just stretch it out horizontally?
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #122
Major Player

Hey Guy,

When you shoot 4x3 it does stretch the image to 16x9. In my experience, it doesn't really effect my shooting when I am doing a project 4x3. It does take some getting used to for framing, but the main reason I use the monitor is for focus.

I'd say: if you shoot 4x3 frequently, go for a monitor that switches to 4x3. I shoot it very infrequently and like the size, weight, and portability of the 8 in. It fits perfectly in my Kata CCC10A. I also think that the weight is perfect and that the extra pound of the 9 in. would prove to be cumbersome.

It all comes down to what will work best with your specific needs.

Hope this helps,
Ryan
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #123
Major Player

Ryan,
Today I spoke with a B&H salesman and he said the 8000 was more monitor than the XL2 could support because the camera output resolution was less than the monitor?

Is that the case? from you information I thought he was wrong?
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #124
Major Player

Guy,

I don't know exactly what the sales rep meant by "more resolution than the XL2 can support", but from my experience the cam/monitor combo has exceeded my expectations and I have received multiple compliments on the clarity of the image. Not to mention that when the cam is in 16x9 mode, the image being displayed on the monitor is actually 853x480?

Maybe the sales rep knows something that I don't know, but the monitor has been working flawlessly for me. Just make sure that you order another camera hot shoe mount. The one that comes with it is not the greatest and mine actually just broke on me this weekend. I ordered an all metal one from B&H so hopefully I'll have better luck with this one.

Other than the mount, it is really a sweet addition to the XL2.

Ryan
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #125
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Godwin View Post
Ryan,
Today I spoke with a B&H salesman and he said the 8000 was more monitor than the XL2 could support because the camera output resolution was less than the monitor?

Is that the case? from you information I thought he was wrong?
Hi Guy,

The B&H "more monitor" statement is a bit befuddling from the context of the monitor's line resolution. Had B&H implied "more monitor" than the XL-2 camera operator should handle from the perspective of a 9 inch, 2 pound monitor, then I'd be in general agreement for most non-studio applications (I feel I pushed it getting a 7 inch monitor when many of our colleagues use a 5 incher). But even if the monitor had more resolution than I currently needed, I might still up-buy for my next camera (although monitor technology does seem to get better price-performance specs over time).

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #126
Major Player

I called back and the next sales guy and I concluded that he was confusing the V8000HD with the V8000W.

I went ahead and went with the V8000W. I the the size and resolution in more important than the 4:3.

Ryan,
do you got a link for better shoe mount?
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #127
Major Player

Exposure adjustment

What do you do to assure your exposure is correct?
I have been starting mild zebra stripes and adjusting the non priority setting until the stripes are gone.

I really ignored the meter on the LCD. But recently I have used the meter much more. Is it best just to keep the meter in the middle? Like in the TV and Av modes?
Old February 25th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #128
Major Player

Guy,

Here is a link to the mount that I picked up:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...hoe_Mount.html

I usually depend on my eye for proper exposure, but before I grew pretty certain that I was seeing it correctly I would keep the viewfinder on the cam and adjust to the zebras. I'd open the iris till I saw zebras on the talents face, then I would just bump it down till the zebras disappeared off of the talent's skin. I still do this sometimes when I begin to question if my eye is seeing the image correctly.

I do sometimes look at the meter as well, though I have noticed that different preset setups will effect it in interesting ways. Usually I try to shoot for somewhere around the middle, but if what I see with my eye disagrees with the meter, my eye takes precedence.

Congrats on the monitor, I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. Just make sure you calibrate it as well as possible.

Ryan
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #129
Major Player

Based on your responce I pressume you are using your eyes via your monitor?

I guess the calibration directions are provided?
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #130
Major Player

Guy,

Yes I do use the monitor to obtain proper exposure, sometimes I double check in the viewfinder.

No, there are no calibration instructions that come with the monitor. A good way to calibrate is to hook the camera up to a tv that will be close to what you/your client will be viewing it on while you have the monitor attached and tinker with the settings on the monitor till the two match.

The correct way to calibrate/adjust the monitor is with a calibration tool such as a spyder (or the like). You can also adjust it properly manually, there are sites that tell you how to do it, don't know what the sites are for sure but I know they exist.

Calibrating to a monitor similar to the final viewing monitor has worked pretty well for me so far.

Ryan
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #131
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller View Post
You will also need a battery pack. They have a pack that runs off of AAs, or you can use the Sony battery adapter that allows you to use Sony L type batteries. I opted for the Sony L type batteries and found some of the batteries for cheap off of E-Bay. I also have a quick charger that will charge just about any type of battery. I can charge my Canon bats and sony bats on the same charger via the use of adapter plates.
Ryan,
Thanks for all your help on this purchase. My unit, just arrived and I must say I am like a 7 year on Christmas morning. This is going to save me alot of my headaches...

The sony battery pack you speak of. Are those batteries interchangeable with the XL2 ones? I will need somthing like this very soon...
What exactly is the AA unit? I realize now that I should have made the bat pack purchase with the monitor.
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #132
Major Player

No, the Sony batteries are not interchangeable with the canon batteries, though I wish they were. Hasn't been too much of a hassle though. The AA battery pack is just what it sounds like, a pack that holds somewhere around 10 AA batteries that are replaced when needed. With as much as I use the monitor, I'm glad I opted for a rechargeable alternative.

The "sony adapter plate" for the Ikan holds any L or M type Sony battery. It does not come with the batteries, but the batteries are cheap and readily available on ebay. Just be careful who you get the batteries from though. I have 4 batteries total and two of them only last about a half an hour. The other two are, supposedly, rated as the same amp hours yet they last for 2-3 hours each.
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #133
Major Player

I said heck with it...and called Ikan and bought all new ones...
Strange thing is B&H said that they did not have anything for this application.
Old June 15th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #134
Major Player

LCD monitor...

Since I'm about to buy a LCD kit for my XL2, I would certainly appreciate some advice. I realize there'll be a conflict with the XL2's flash-shoe if I'm getting such a unit since I've already a Bescor on-camera light. Hence, my questions are -- is this a recommended LCD; http://tinyurl.com/3f5ldr and is there a solution to mount both this LCD and the Bescor lights?

Any help appreciated -- I'm in particular interested in hearing any experience(s), good or bad, with this LCD.

-- peer
Old June 15th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #135
Regular Crew

Hello Peer,

I don't have experience in this monitor, but from what I've heard, it's not a good monitor. If you look closely at the resolution, it'S 480x234 pixels, meaning it won't be much use for focusing, and at that price, it sure ain't for balancing colors either! It would only be used for framing, but the thing is, I've heard the viewing angles on this monitor are atrocious.

I personnally got a used Ikan V8000HD deluxe kit (with the battery, case and all), and while colors aren't that good, the viewing angles are decent with a good lcd hood and the resolution (800x480) really helps getting critical focus on my XL2 with a 35mm adapter. I haven't had any of the troubles people on the forum talk about (don't know if I've been lucky), but fact is this monitor works well for what I need. It's not at the same price point (about 900$ instead of 250$), but according to those who tried the one you want to buy, it's just a plain waste of money, period.

If you really, really need a monitor lcd, you can try to buy one used from a trusted seller here on DVInfo or on DVXuser.com marketplaces. That's where I got mine, and I think there's currently another V8000HD for sale. Just be sure to research the seller a bit before committing to a deal!

Hope this helps!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software