Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < $200 - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 19th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #211
Major Player

You might want to look into this: Ikan | MA101 Monitor Arm | MA101 | B&H Photo Video
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #212
New Boot

will this work?

will this work to flip the sonyupside down via shoemount: ikancorp.com: Invert Bracket

?
Shahin Izadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #213
Inner Circle

Remember, it's a DVD player. Even without the battery, I think it would snap your accessory show right off the cam. I would certainly not advise mounting even the 820, much less the 930, directly to the shoe.

I use adjustable straps to attach to my tripod arms, head or legs.
Old December 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #214
New Boot

what kind of straps we talking here? can you be a bit more specific about your setup? Thanks!
Shahin Izadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #215
Inner Circle

Just cheap canvas straps I picked up at a surplus store, about two feet long each with friction buckles at the end, similar to the shoulder or belt straps you'd find on a backpack. Two go vertically around the DVD player portion, then one more goes horizontally between them on the back of the DVD player and straps to the tripod arms or legs, or just forms a loop to go over the head and hang down just below the cam. I spin the screen around and fold flat back against the DVD player portion. I suppose you could also use elastic cords or even large cable-ties.

Alternatively, they make cases for portable DVD players that also serve as a device to strap the player to an auto seat back/head rest. You could use something like that as well to attach to the tripod.
Old December 25th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #216
Regular Crew

hey guys after reading soo many pages, i have decided to buy Sony DVP-FX930 for my Sony SR11 camcorder, i need it mainly for framing and replay purposes. some guy in amazon reviews said that since Sony DVP-FX930 and Sony DVP-FX820 have same resolution, the fx930 seems pixalated as it have 1" bigger screen with same resolution. can u plz suggest which exact model to buy and do any one have used Toshiba SDP93S ?
Shahzad Mian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #217
Inner Circle

If you have a choice of both models, I'd just buy whichever is cheapest. An advantage of the 820 might be that it is smaller and lighter and therefore less burdensome to pack around and set up. The review is undoubtedly correct in saying the larger screen at the same resolution will appear less sharp, but this will have no practical effect on usability.
Old December 25th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #218
Regular Crew

well according to B&H and Sony Style website the fx930 weighs 1.9 lbs (0.8kg) w/Battery while fx820 weighs 2.4 lbs (1kg) with Battery.

Sony | DVP-FX930 Portable DVD Player (Black) | DVPFX930 | B&H
Sony | DVP-FX820L Portable 8" DVD Player (Blue)
Old December 25th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #219
Inner Circle

I just unboxed my 930s and compared them to my 820s. Interestingly, they are almost identical in size and weight, even though the screen is obviously bigger on the 930. Both weigh in at 2 lbs 11 oz with battery (1204g for the 820 and 1220g for the 930). They use identical batteries.
Old December 25th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #220
Regular Crew

hey adam can u plz post some pics of them from different angles. i wanna see how they are both compared and how do an 8 or 9 inch screen looks in real life with a camera beside it. there aint much real life images of them, so u would very helpful if u upload few pics !!
Old December 25th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #221
Inner Circle

To be really honest, that's unlikely -- I just can't see having the time to be able to do that for you any time soon, sorry. I would think there would be plenty of pics on the Sony website.

I mean, I'll give it a shot (no pun intended) but I just can't guarantee how soon I'll be able to get to it.

From the links below you'll see the only apparent difference is a thinner border around the larger screen. They are otherwise identical.

https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...specifications
https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...specifications
Old December 25th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #222
Regular Crew

My Monitor is a Sony DVP-FX930 DVD player and I was looking for a way to attach it to the camera in a useful way.

Usually DVD players don't come with threaded holes and I didn't want to drill and tap into the plastic.

I saw this Set of screwdrivers for 10 bucks that comes in a little flight case and my DIY brain begun to spin.

The plexiglass insert would be nice for protection but was glossy like a mirror.
So this is the first thing that went out.

Next one was that cheesy chrome handle that corrupted my professional monitor Feng Shui.

A bit of tweaking and drilling holes, a bit of flat black spray paint - et voila.

It is a pretty tight fit, so there is no further fixing of the player inside the box necessary.

For more professional look I added a BNC cable and plugs instead if the Mickey Mouse RCA stuff.

The whole shebang lives on a Manfrotto Arm that is attached with a Superclamp to the base plate.

It looks way to heavy for the arm, but the box weights next to nothing.
I fact, everything is rock solid.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-81050_f02_gewerkzeugset.jpg   Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-100_4912.jpg  

Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-100_4913.jpg   Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-100_4919.jpg  

Last edited by Frank Brodkorb; December 25th, 2009 at 06:30 PM.
Frank Brodkorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #223
Trustee

Nice looking rig. Now all you need is a 2 pound eye cup for your viewfinder big enough to stick your head into and you'll be all set. ;-)
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #224
Inner Circle

For what it's worth, the refurbed 930s at $100 are gone at the Sony Online Outlet, but they have 820s again, now at $90. You have to add it to your cart to see the discount.

And oh, yeah, it's pink.

https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...52921665368393
Old December 27th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #225
Regular Crew

Nice job, Frank. Can you please point us to a source for the screw driver set? Thanks.
Dave Therault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software