DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   2 low cost HD field monitors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/129762-2-low-cost-hd-field-monitors.html)

Tim Polster September 29th, 2008 07:00 AM

Andrew, I am pleased with the small HD monitor.

It is the perfect size for an external monitor and it is lightweight.

After a lot of adjustments, the image is quite nice and I think it will be plenty of resolution for focus.

The monitor does have a limited viewing angle, so that must always be in mind while adjusting the position.

For $450, I don't know if I could do any better in the marketplace.

HD is expensive and a lot better at the same time!

Shawn Kessler September 29th, 2008 07:43 AM

AB brick

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Ray (Post 943641)
caution on the AB bricks ... most bricks fully charged are actually more than 12v ... unless the monitor is rated for a range up to, say 15v, a fully charged brick could cause troubles or failures.

thanks Michael I think ill wait to see what others do in this situation.

Gints Klimanis September 29th, 2008 11:50 PM

Model# for the board in the manhattanlcd.com is MST KM9E19ATVL

Paul Mailath September 30th, 2008 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 944477)
Andrew, I am pleased with the small HD monitor.

but where did you get it? - I can't seem to raise any info on the SmallHD site, the purchase link doesn't work nor does the email??

Michael Chenoweth September 30th, 2008 07:29 AM

Paul,

Small HD had a few prototypes that they were selling at $450. I bought one and returned it because they were still bare aluminum and not anodized. Nothing else wrong with the panel, in fact for the price. It's a steal.

Email Dale Backus at Small HD, he may still have a few left.

mike

Tim Polster September 30th, 2008 08:06 AM

Yes, I don't know what is going on with their site.

I first noticed a monitor on Ebay a few months ago.

At that time their site was working and I also called Dale.

The phone number is on the website.

And yes, I purchased the prototype version of the monitor.

M. Paul El-Darwish October 1st, 2008 01:24 PM

You could always go DIY if you have the time...
Canon HV20 / HV30 User Forum - View Single Post - DIY Samsung HD Monitor thread

Andrew Dean October 3rd, 2008 07:07 PM

Still haven't heard reports about outdoor visibility. Anybody with a manhattan or smallhd monitor got anything to say about using them outside with horribly bright sun?

thanks!
-a

Gints Klimanis October 3rd, 2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Dean (Post 946668)
Still haven't heard reports about outdoor visibility. Anybody with a manhattan or smallhd monitor got anything to say about using them outside with horribly bright sun?
-a

I haven't had a chance to experiment with the ManhattanLCD outdoors. Probably this Sunday.

M. Paul El-Darwish October 3rd, 2008 08:51 PM

The contrast ratio on both my 7.2" & 10.9" are about the same as the little flip-out on my HV20. The MLCD screens have a NICE anti reflective coating which cuts glare a lot. However, I always use and recommend that operators attach sun-shades to their monitors outdoors in all but shades scenarios. Ideally, a really deep hood that goes all around the screen is best. No pros would try to judge the screen without a hood as screen contrast will NOT help you improve an image degraded from a high degree of ambient illumination

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Dean (Post 946668)

thanks!
-a

Matt Mullins October 4th, 2008 10:12 AM

Hi,
Just a quick addition to gint's comments on the Manhattan LCD, as mine has just arrived. I'm pretty blown away actually having just messed around indoors pulling focus on my canon XH A1. It's very easy to check critical focus especially as the A1's magnify function shows up via component on the Manhattan LCD. Even without using this function focus is no longer an issue for me; well at least until I get me that sgpro that is!
The casing is tough as they come, considering it's ABS plastic and man is it light, really light!
I will get back with more when I've used it outdoors, as I known others are curious about sunlight on the screen.
Any questions feel free to ask.
Oh just for the record delivery was prompt and well packaged. No complaints about Manhattan LCD as a company.
Cheers
Matt

Mark Keck October 6th, 2008 07:13 AM

I'm interested, but would like to know more before I lay down some cash. What documentation comes with the Manhattan kit??? Can it be downloaded??? I haven't been able to find on the website.

Mark

Gints Klimanis October 6th, 2008 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Keck (Post 947441)
I'm interested, but would like to know more before I lay down some cash. What documentation comes with the Manhattan kit??? Can it be downloaded??? I haven't been able to find on the website.
Mark

ManhattanLCD tells me that they're working on a manual. None was provided with mine, but they told me the model number of the LCD controller board was MST KM9E19ATVL . I Googled for an on-line manual, but all I could find were Chinese language sites.

M. Paul El-Darwish October 12th, 2008 09:13 PM

MLCD working on documentation? I'd better call them to be sure they get it right.
Thanks for the heads up.

M. Paul El-Darwish October 15th, 2008 02:18 PM

BTW. Just listed the 10.9" in
Private Classifieds.