DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   2 low cost HD field monitors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/129762-2-low-cost-hd-field-monitors.html)

Gints Klimanis February 23rd, 2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miklos Konczol (Post 1016220)

Great compact design with the mounting holes in a metal frame. The mounting is the main problem with the Manhattan LCD design as the case is plastic (which is low weight and just fine otherwise), but the mounting holes appear to be attached to the side of the plastic case. They give quite a bit and cause the larger LCD to be quite wiggly. That can be solved by mounting at two points, though it's been a pain.

Trevor Meeks February 24th, 2009 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M. Paul El-Darwish (Post 1016670)
Yes, the panels are getting more expensive (even as BIG HDTV's fall in price). Grab what you need while you can. Manhattan LCD just got a decent batch of 8.9 finished monitors ready to go. They'll go fast.

They are just right for DOF/framing though I would not count on them for editing preview.

The smallHD is apparently geared towards beating the competitors when it comes to price, as well as build quality. i can't wait to see their final release!

Gints Klimanis February 24th, 2009 01:06 PM

I'm glad I snapped up the Manhattan LCD 11" monitor when I had the chance. I think a very thin 11" monitor with great mounting options and 1280x720 native resolution is what is needed. A special bonus would be a number of features geared towards focusing, such as magnification and Picture-in-Picture. The Sonys don't put out the Peaking and Zebra stripes to their component outputs, so if a monitor existed that would assume those functions, I'd buy it even at twice the price. Guy Cochran showed some interesting focusing options for the Ikan V8000HD using Black&White monitoring with Blue Peaking.

Miklos Konczol March 1st, 2009 01:12 PM

New Ikan 5.6" HDMI monitor. ..at the B&H 650USD

http://www.ikancorp.com/pages/monitors/V5600/index.html

I am still waiting for smallhd :)

Trevor Meeks March 1st, 2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miklos Konczol (Post 1020525)
New Ikan 5.6" HDMI monitor. ..at the B&H 650USD

ikancorp.com: V8000HDe 8" High Definition TFT LCD Monitor

I am still waiting for smallhd :)

wow, that's an outrageously priced non-HD screen... still, it would be great to have a monitor that size sometimes.

still, i'm waiting for the SmallHD. They are doing some amazing work, and I'm really excited for the DP1

Anthony Lovell March 2nd, 2009 11:26 AM

SDI vs Component

I have an EX1, and it has SDI output, not HDMI.

What exactly will I be giving up to resort to using Component out (to drive the SmallHD, say)?

tone

Christopher Witz March 2nd, 2009 02:07 PM

At the "less than" 1080p resolution you won't be giving up much in terms of "sharpness" but you will see less contrast..... in theory.

but... as the contrast ratio and brightness of all of these small monitors is poor it, it probably does not make a difference other than the convenience and professional look of a single sdi bnc connector.

Anthony Lovell March 2nd, 2009 11:30 PM

Thanks, Christopher. I won't sweat it for now!

tone

Jamie Jewett March 25th, 2009 08:14 PM

is small dog EVER going to happen?

the almost thing is really killing me...

Miklos Konczol March 27th, 2009 09:00 AM

Would be nice some litle info from SMALLHD!!! come on guys, tell us something new!!!

Anthony Lovell March 27th, 2009 09:27 AM

Oh, I know. Their vague promise of a great value relative to other choices has me frozen here. I worry that the delivery date will be distant or the relative value disappointing somehow.

Then again, I know too well the difficulty of making promises and then having circumstances cause you to fall short.

tone

Jamie Jewett April 8th, 2009 11:00 PM

choose your weapon...

Small HD now has a preferred color survey on their site -

do you prefer Black or Silver?

vote here!

SmallHD.com - 8.9" High Definition - the DP1

best

Jamie

Eric Stemen April 9th, 2009 12:13 AM

Just buy a monitor with HDMI inputs, a battery and an inverter.

Sure it will be bulkier but at least you could buy this setup now for about $450 for a 24" screen.

Simon Romin August 26th, 2010 07:18 AM

Hi guys,

Hate to dig up an old thread here but I am also looking for a low cost field monitor for my 5D but I am unsure about all the techicalities. Here is my other post on this:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ml#post1562704

Essentially there are three suppliers I have seen:

www.ikancorp.com

www.carcomputer.co.uk

www.smallhd.com

www.carcomputer.co.uk have the cheapest but the lowest res screen, whereas www.smallhd.com have a really high res monitor but a really high price to go with it!

I am on a budget and can afford to trade off fancy features - I just need a decent field monitor with HDMI!!!

Hope to hear all your guys thoughts.

Simon

Casey Krugman August 26th, 2010 02:01 PM

Manhattanlcd.com

Some of the best i've seen, and the best considering the price.