New 7" HDSDI and HDMI Monitors from Marshall - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 1st, 2009, 04:02 PM   #16
Trustee

Guy,
Is the model that would accept hd/sdi from my Canon H1 available yet?
Thanks
Bruce yarock
Yarock Video and Photo
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 09:31 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Bruce.

If you eyes are shot like mine and you do any live gigs with your camera, you may find it helpful in the meantime to use a Palsonic LCD TV. TFTV5539DT or something like it. This is the PAL model. There may be a different model for NTSC land or it may have been OEM'ed as another brand entirely.

This is not a proper camera monitor just a consumer TV.

It does "NOT" have HDSDI-in.
It does have HDMI-in.
It has component-in.
It has composite-in
Power is by small power converter from mains to 12VDC which means alternative sources like 12VDC batteries are viable.
It has an inbuilt SD DVD player.

I find it helpful because I can sit it off a short safe distance so that I am not dragging close-up glasses off and on my head. I still use the camera LCD for framing and follows of a dynamic subject but reference the TV for critical focus and deliberate moves.

If you are a wing camera one side or another of a stage and all cameras are winging it and not co-ordinated, the large screen can be helpful for your opposite camera operator to know what you are doing and match your framing.

It does not provide a true representation of aspect ratio. All are slightly vertically stretched.

Any big TV is a mongrel to cart about as it has to be reboxed.

Last edited by Bob Hart; January 1st, 2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:30 AM   #18
Trustee

Bob,
I have a gateway 26" 1080p monitor, which I use when there's set up time and space available. I was thinking about something to use on camera (or stand), or jib, which would help me for critical focus. Since I have the hd/sdi out on the Csnon H1, I thought that might give me a better image than my varizoom swit, and help with color and focus. I also like the idea of the peaking function on the Marshall mentioned, which the swit doesn't have.
Bruce yarock
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:15 PM   #19
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
Guy,
Is the model that would accept hd/sdi from my Canon H1 available yet?
Thanks
Bruce yarock
Yarock Video and Photo
HDSDI model is shipping in Feb. 09

Only the analog component HD model is shipping today.

Get one if you need it today. Otherwise, I think it's worth the wait.

BTW, I spoke with a customer this morning that shoots a ton of stuff worldwide for PBS. He uses the 8" Panasonic and reminded me of one more feature that you pay for on the Panasonic - it has built-in waveform. He did say that he would rather of bought the Marshall had it been out in '07.
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #20
DVCreators.Net

Geekin' out. I just had to open them up :)

Okay so both the Marshall and the IKAN have the BNC connectors soldered to the circuit board. So be gentle when pulling on those cables! Notice how the IKAN has HDMI as well as S-Video inputs.

I did like that the Marshall has a bit better build on the 1/4" thread on the bottom. It's reinforced with a better design.
Attached Thumbnails
New 7" HDSDI and HDMI Monitors from Marshall-ikanv800hdmi_a.jpg   New 7" HDSDI and HDMI Monitors from Marshall-marshallvlcdp_a.jpg  

New 7" HDSDI and HDMI Monitors from Marshall-ikanv800hdmi_d.jpg   New 7" HDSDI and HDMI Monitors from Marshall-marshallvlcdp_b.jpg  

Old January 7th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #21
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
HDSDI model is shipping in Feb. 09
Any idea how much more the HDSDI model will cost?
James Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
I find it helpful because I can sit it off a short safe distance so that I am not dragging close-up glasses off and on my head. I still use the camera LCD for framing and follows of a dynamic subject but reference the TV for critical focus and deliberate moves.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one, I'm resorting to close up glasses or a 15" HDTV - both are a pain
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #23
Trustee

Guy (or anyone else who knows the answer)-
is there any difference in resolution and quality between the hdmi version and the hd/sdi version comming out in february? Both of my canons (h1 and a1) have that component output which i guess is called 'hdmi", correct? If the quality on the hdmi version and the one comming out in feb. is the same, then I'm better off with the one I can use with both cameras. But if the hd/sdi will give me better resolution and crisper focus, then i'll get the hd/sdi version for my h1, and keep the varizoom swit for my a1.
Btw, guy...whichever i get i'll buy from you, given your help on th3ese forums.
Thanks
Bruce yarock
Yarock Video and Photo
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #24
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Chen View Post
Our contact at Marshall says that we're still waiting on pricing for HDSDI model.
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #25
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
Guy (or anyone else who knows the answer)-
is there any difference in resolution and quality between the hdmi version and the hd/sdi version comming out in february? Both of my canons (h1 and a1) have that component output which i guess is called 'hdmi", correct? If the quality on the hdmi version and the one comming out in feb. is the same, then I'm better off with the one I can use with both cameras. But if the hd/sdi will give me better resolution and crisper focus, then i'll get the hd/sdi version for my h1, and keep the varizoom swit for my a1.
Btw, guy...whichever i get i'll buy from you, given your help on th3ese forums.
Thanks
Bruce yarock
Yarock Video and Photo
Thanks Bruce. I appreciate that.
Component requires 3 analog connections, the connectors are usually Red, Green and Blue.
HDMI is pure digital with just one connection.
Here is a vid I produced awhile back that may help...or confuse :0 HD Monitoring from an NLE on Vimeo
It's tough to gauge the quality difference between an HDMI and a Component connection on an 8" display - I'd say 10-20% improvement to the human eye.
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #26
Trustee

Guy,
The hdv output of both the Canon H1 and A1 is a plug that has the three component cables on the other end. So therefore, the only monitor that will work for both cameras is one that accepts component (eg. the switt which I have). The new hd/sdi from Marshall will only work on the H1. If it's 20% crisper, it will be worth it.
Thanks
Bruce yarock
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #27
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Chen View Post
Fresh in.

Marshall V-LCD70P-3GSDI 7" on Camera monitor with Composite, Component, 3GHD/SDI inputs and Canon, JVC, Sony or Panasonic Battery Mount - List price $1299

Marshall V-LCD70P-HDMI-CM 7" on Camera monitor with Composite, Component, HDMI inputs and Canon, JVC, Sony or Panasonic Battery Mount - List price $1099

Add $100 for V-Mount or Anton Bauer plate.

HDMI version shipping beginning of March
HDSDI version shipping end of March

I will have a pre-production model to test in the next few weeks and will post additional photos or a video of a hot model demonstrating "peaking" and "false color" - false color is going to blow you away. Once you learn how to read it, you can gauge your exposure by seeing where elements of your frame may be over or under exposed. If you grew up as a photographer and understand the zones system, it will make sense quick. You can even see if skin tones are properly exposed - instantly at the touch of button - see the attached pdf for more info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf falsecolor.pdf (141.8 KB, 564 views)
Old February 16th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Anybody used already the new 4.8' (800x480) Swit?
It's a long time I'm waiting for something lighter and smaller than my 7' HDA for use shoulder mounted adapter+camera rig.

http://swit-battery.com/swit2006/eng...ductdetail.asp

Cheers
Alvise Tedesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Marshall V-LCD70P-3GSDI-SB 7" with Sony BP-460??

Hey All

Looking at getting one of the new Marshall monitors for use with an EX3, and just checking battery specs. this Marshall on B&H details using a Sony BP-460?

OK so living under a rock, but is this a typo or can someone point me in the direction of where to find said battery?

I don't really want to have to buy a new battery system just for the monitor so if this isn't compatible with the EX BP-U30 or BP-U60, has anyone had any experience using these with the L series batteries??
Adrian Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #30
DVCreators.Net

The HDA (Component and Composite) Model is now shipping
The HDMI is also now shipping
The HDSDI Model is pushed to May.
For an EX3, I would wait for the HDSDI.

I'm using mine with a slim line Sony battery that weighs 4 oz. The monitor weighs 1lb 8oz. It's a light package overall. A little much for a Canon 5D Mark II, for that camera I like the new little IKAN 5.6" HDMI. The Marshall 7" is right at home on an HVX200/Z7U/XHA1 sized camera. The camera you'll see me using it on is the Sony S270U.

YES!!! I finally got the Video done so you can see the Marshall monitor in action. It was more of a challenge to shoot a monitor than I thought. You get a lot of moire.

At the end of the video you can see the Sony L series battery powering the unit and exactly how slim it is. I have a limited number of these Sony batteries and chargers that I can include for free if anyone from DVinfo mentions it in the comments field of their order.

Last edited by Guy Cochran; March 18th, 2009 at 10:38 AM.
Guy Cochran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software