New 7" HDSDI and HDMI Monitors from Marshall - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 12th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #61
Major Player

ok thanks!
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #62
Inner Circle

Excellent feature set, especially the "false color" and peaking during zoom. I've been trying to describe an audio meter for video for a long time. Guy, do you think the Marshall implementation is more useful that a red/yellow/orange/red quarter tone level map? Perhaps an 8 stop meter segmentation would be better. I don't know exactly what I want, but I'd like someway of mapping level data to a readable value.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #63
Regular Crew

I'm thinking in the hdmi version to use it with 5dmII, but some people seems to have problems with false color through hdmi
what do you think about this?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...i-monitor.html
Carlos Padilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #64
Tourist

Hello Guy,

I have been a silent member for a while and have learnt much from these forums. I have owned an EX1 for over a year and decided to improve my focus by adding the V-LCD70P-3GSDI to my gear thanks to your reports. Unfortunately, as simple as it should be, I have not been able to get it to work. I carefully read all related SDI output mention in the EX1 manual, but it did not get my Marshall working. I then talked to Marshall and after a 15 minute talk the helpful tech suggested that I send it in as there might be something wrong with the monitor itself. Today I received a call from Marshall and there seemed to be nothing wrong with my monitor on first impressions, but they needed to test it with an HD SDI output cam before they call me again.
I was wondering if you would be so kind to let me know of any "secret" settings there might be to make it work. Or even the proper procedure/ adapters or other tricks that might not be mentioned in the manuals.

My gear: EX1 with the first firmware upgrade, SDI out with BNC cable (third one I bought just to be sure it wasn't the bnc) into SDI input on the V-LCD70P-3GSDI.
All I get is a blue screen with an occasional "no signal" sign at the top left corner.
This may be a setting that totally escapes my limited expertize, but it might also be a faulty EX1...I am lost and Marshal does not really have much to say about the EX1 / V-LCD70P-3GSDI combination so far.
Help is truly appreciated.

Thanks!
Alex
Alex Vargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #65
DVCreators.Net

Hi Alex,

Congrats on stepping up your game.

Is the cable a proper 75 ohm HD-SDI cable?

If you do not have a way to test the unit, you can have the monitor sent to us.

Here is the Sony EX1 manual http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...downloads.html

On page 102 it shows that in the Menu>Video Set>YPbPr/SDI Out should be set to "HD"

Hope this helps,
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:10 AM   #66
Major Player

Also check page 113 in the manual. Ensure that you have the iLink DISABLED in the others menu or you won't get a signal from the SDI.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM   #67
Tourist

Thank you so much guys!

After careful consideration I decided to send the field monitor back to Marshall and they changed a faulty module in it. I got it back today and it works very nice. The peaking function is not as clear as on the EX1 itself, but the false colors (exposure) feature is quite cool. I am sure I'll be fine with both peaking functions on and a decent size lcd to "eye" it on.
I am so happy that it wasn't my EX1...
Anyway, thank you again for your help. I do have the EX1 manual and had already adjusted the settings as mentioned in your responses. (I actually sent the EX1 manual to Marshall as they did not have it...They were very helpful.

Now I am going to review your short video on the Marshall 7" settings to getting down faster and then drive out to shoot a few long shots that will compliment this coming weekend's shoot. It's a beautiful day in San Francisco.

Thanks again!

Alex :0)
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #68
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
And a little Quote from the manual

"Emulation of SMPTE-C/EBU color space allows the V-LCD70P-3GSDI to replace any broadcast CRT monitor. Presets
include D55, D65 and D93. Bias and Gain adjustment for each color enables precise color matching and white
balance"
Just a hype. If your camera head is only capable of 8bit output, HDMI is as good. And the WB presets are included with the Marshall HDMI version, as well.

3G-SDI is a must for those outputting 422 10 bit from their cameras.
Old December 26th, 2009, 02:46 AM   #69
Trustee

Guy,
I'm about ready to buy a new monitor ( have been shooting with my Canon 7d, in addition to Letus), and hopefully will get it from you. I have a few questions-

This one- V-LCD651ST-HDMI has been reccomended by Phil Bloom. Does it do the following:
1-Allow either hdmi or component in?

2- Does it allow you to magnify/ expand the image while recording?

3-Can you run out of the component to send signal a second monitor ( I have an 8" Swit and a gateway)? Or would I have to use a splitter?
Is this the monitor you'd reccomend?
Thanks for all your info.
Bruce Yarock
yarock@aol.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #70
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
Guy,
I'm about ready to buy a new monitor ( have been shooting with my Canon 7d, in addition to Letus), and hopefully will get it from you. I have a few questions-

This one- V-LCD651ST-HDMI has been reccomended by Phil Bloom. Does it do the following:

3-Can you run out of the component to send signal a second monitor ( I have an 8" Swit and a gateway)? Or would I have to use a splitter?
Bruce Yarock
yarock@aol.com
Quote:
Guy,

Bruce Yarock
yarock@aol.com
Thanks for your questions. I can help answer these.

1. Yes, allows for both HDMI and Component input
2. Yes, allows for 1:1 Pixel - Pixel mode (zooms to center of frame)
3. When feeding in Component, you can loop out Component. When feeding HDMI, there is no looping back out through component.

We see a lot more of the 7" model selling rather than the 6.5" Super Transflective Outdoor Monitors, though that may just be a price issue. The 6.5" model is considerably more expensive. Personally, I'd get the 7" with a hood and save the $600+. However, if a large amount of your shots are outdoors in bright, direct sunlight, then the 6.5" model will be a joy to use.
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #71
Trustee

Guy,
Thanks for the info.
I can't see it on the info page, but do either of these allow for ac power connection? I do a lot of stuff indoors where ther is power and it's a pain to have enough batterys.
I have several Canon batts, but I remember from my fx1 that the Sony l series last quite a bit longer. If I went that route. I'd also nee to buy a charger for the Sony batts, right?
lastly, it looks like the 6.5"model has more pixels. How do the two compare in resolution?
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #72
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Guy,
Thanks for the info.
I can't see it on the info page, but do either of these allow for ac power connection? I do a lot of stuff indoors where ther is power and it's a pain to have enough batterys.
I have several Canon batts, but I remember from my fx1 that the Sony l series last quite a bit longer. If I went that route. I'd also nee to buy a charger for the Sony batts, right?
lastly, it looks like the 6.5"model has more pixels. How do the two compare in resolution?
Bruce Yarock
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for asking. Both monitors ship with AC power supplies. They are the 4 pin XLR type. There is a switch on the side which lets you jump between battery or AC.

The resolution of the Marshall Electronics 7″ is 800x600 while the Marshall 6.5″ Super Transflective Field Monitor does indeed have more pixels 1024x768. However, on such a small screen, the difference isn't jaw dropping.
I'd say it boils down to the amount of shooting you do in harsh ambient light conditions. If you're in studio, not worth it, if you're out in the field all the time, absolutely worth it.
Old December 31st, 2009, 01:10 AM   #73
Inner Circle

The main reason I have chosen the 70P Marshall as my second monitor (in addition to the 10.9", 1366x768 Manhattan) is its peaking and false color functions. However, I find the peaking to be a bit too "aggressive", i.e. it also displays on edges that aren't necessarily in perfect focus (it's enough for them to be contrasty enough).

The same can happen with the EX1 peaking when set to "high", but here you can decrease the sensitivity to medium or low, which gets rid of the problem and displays the peaking on truly sharp edges only.

Do you have the same problem, and if so - is there any way to alleviate it (I can't see any peaking "tuning" functions in the Marshall menu)?
Old October 28th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #74
Tourist

Mr

A few months back I sent my new Marshall 7" HD-SDI field monitor back to Marshall for a check up. When rebooting the camera, the monitor would not receive the signal. I tried all possible as suggested by Marshall before sending it in, but it would still do this after rebooting the camera, and eventually it did it on its own...
They replaced the SDI module and after I got it back I only used it on three shoots. It is now doing it again.
Has anybody had any similar issues? Is there something that I am not doing right here? Yesterday it was a six hour shoot and the monitor was in the director's hands working fine until the last three shots. I had to view past clips to confirm continuity from an earlier shot. That meant rebooting the Sony EX1. After that, I could get no signal. I tried unplugging cables, powering down the monitor, powering down the camera, removing the battery, but it had to go quick so after 5 - 10 minutes of my interruption on set we had to continue without the monitor. I talked to Marshall, but they want me to perform tests; try switching between two equal monitors when this happens, try feeding the failing monitor from another EX1 when this happens. That means I have to rent gear to test my monitor. I would like to avoid further inconveniences with this monitor that I like a lot, when it works, but is causing me loss of business.
Any info would help.

Kind regards,
Alex Vargas

Status during incident: Sony EX1, firmware 1.2, it was plugged to power, Sony SxS card, new BNC cable, battery had 20% left charge on monitor when it happened.
Old February 13th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #75
Major Player

<bump>

Hey Alex, what was the final resolution of your Marshall monitor problems? i'm thinking about a Marshall or the equivalent Ikan.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software