New 7" HDSDI and HDMI Monitors from Marshall - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 18th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #31
New Boot

Marshall: Wait for the SDI version?

Guy-

I've been waiting for the Marshall SDI version for my EX1. It's been pushed back to the end of May, but I really need something now. Do you think I should still wait for the SDI or go with the HDA version? Will it make that much of a difference?

Thanks,
Alex
Alex Kanakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #32
Regular Crew

I'm also waiting for the SDI version for my EX1. Do you know if it can be powered using a Bebo Coco-EX and a p-tap cable? I'm just worried whether or not the Sony battery will be able to power the camera & the monitor at the same time... and for how long?

Bebob: Coco-EX
Bebob Engineering | COCO-EX1 Battery Adapter | COCO-EX1 | B&H

Switronix Power-Tap to 4-Pin XLR
Switronix | PTXLR 28" Power-Tap to 4-Pin XLR Cable | PT XLR
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #33
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Kanakis View Post
Guy-

I've been waiting for the Marshall SDI version for my EX1. It's been pushed back to the end of May, but I really need something now. Do you think I should still wait for the SDI or go with the HDA version? Will it make that much of a difference?

Thanks,
Alex
If you need it now, just get the HDA model and use component. Sony includes the cable in the EX1 box so it is a nicely bundled single cable right?
The difference between analog component and digital is only about 10% in real world viewing on a 7" display. However, being able to use a monitor today will improve your focusing and your color remarkably.
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #34
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Carlson View Post
I'm also waiting for the SDI version for my EX1. Do you know if it can be powered using a Bebo Coco-EX and a p-tap cable? I'm just worried whether or not the Sony battery will be able to power the camera & the monitor at the same time... and for how long?

Bebob: Coco-EX
Bebob Engineering | COCO-EX1 Battery Adapter | COCO-EX1 | B&H

Switronix Power-Tap to 4-Pin XLR
Switronix | PTXLR 28" Power-Tap to 4-Pin XLR Cable | PT XLR
The monitor has a 4-pin XLR input 12V @ 3.3A - I don't see why the above solution would not power the Marshall.
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #35
Regular Crew

That's great. So now I just have to sit and wait patiently... which is never my strong suit.
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #36
Regular Crew

I just got an email from Robert Foster (Director of Sales @ Marshall) and he told me that the SDI version will be out at the end of May.
Is it really worth waiting for a SDI version or would the component be fine with my EX1?
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
I just got an email from Robert Foster (Director of Sales @ Marshall) and he told me that the SDI version will be out at the end of May.
Is it really worth waiting for a SDI version or would the component be fine with my EX1?
I asked the precise same question in another thread (on 2 low-cost monitors) and got this response, which I am not sure I totally grok:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witz
At the "less than" 1080p resolution you won't be giving up much in terms of "sharpness" but you will see less contrast..... in theory.

but... as the contrast ratio and brightness of all of these small monitors is poor it, it probably does not make a difference other than the convenience and professional look of a single sdi bnc connector.
Anthony Lovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #38
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Hi Justin,

Greetings from Washington State. You're just right over the border from us. If you plan on passing through down to Seattle, I have the HDMI/component version of the Marshall here for testing and in stock. Let me know if you have time to come down this way, it's a nice drive this time of year. Gorgeous out today. I'd be more than happy to let you take it out for the day attached to your EX1.
I'd say get the component version if you need it now. You'll be impressed. Just the red peaking function alone makes this monitor a valuable tool for HD work.
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Sounds great!
I'm down in Seattle about every 7 weeks or so as my wife likes to go shopping in Bellevue. Next time I'm down, I'll definitely stop by and check out the Marshall.
Thanks!
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #40
Trustee

the peaking sounds cool. Will it work for 5D2? It has no onboard peaking function so focusing is a PIA...
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #41
Regular Crew

I must say even though the marshall has so many unique functions, I'm very tempted by the 720p of the Smallhd.com monitor. And at that price, I'm starting to lean more that way.
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #42
New Boot

Sony battery series?

A quick question about the battery options: is the Sony B series battery the same one that EX3 uses?
Matti Poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Yes it is, they're the same batteries at the EX1 too.
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #44
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
The monitor has a 4-pin XLR input 12V @ 3.3A - I don't see why the above solution would not power the Marshall.
Just checking: The Marshall monitor has 12v input. The Coco Battery adapter outputs 14.4v (according to B&H website). Will the monitor work okay anyway?
Matti Poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #45
Major Player

Wait for SDI

For those of you thinking about getting the non-SDI version of the Marshall monitor and you have an EX1 or similar SDI camera, WAIT!

I own an EX1 and a TV Logic monitor with SDI and it's such a breeze to connect using the BNC on the back of the camera and NOT have to fuss with the horrible placement and small hookup for the Component.

Also, you get audio out of the SDI and it's a more robust connection that's locked and won't fall out, AND, you have only one cable to run, so if you're using your camera on a crane/jib, it's a breeze once again to connect.

Just my 2-cents on the matter.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software