What stabilizer do you use, or would like to be using. - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 30th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: What stabilizer do you use, or would like to be using.

Is this not the steadipod you are talking about? These shots don't look that bad.

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #47
Regular Crew

That's the one. Some decent looking footage, if you know how to use it.

Practice makes perfect.
Matt Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #48
Inner Circle

What is weird at 01:55 in the video when he is filming that guys feet the photo before shows a girl holding the feet and the camera at the other end on ground level, however on the video, based on the shade on the ground the camera looks like it has been attached on the feet and the guy holds the monopod at the other end, wonder whats up with that.
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Nice comparison! The defy g2 does seem to introduce vibration which is best visible when you where running with it at the end, it looks cool though being able to getting shots from eyelevel all the way till the ground in one move. I would prefer the cheap glidecam in run and gun situations, the defy looks quite fragile and maybe more suitable in controlled environments, not really at weddings. It did look when you made quicker turns that the defy didn't stay horizontal but swayed to the left or right, isn't the electonics supposed to keep the sled horizontal at all times?
To be honest Noa, I might still be using the G2 incorrectly. I also think a panasonic GH2 is a little on the heavy side for this rig as well. I think I'm going to return it unfortunately, just isn't my cup of tea. They mentioned a 15 day return policy so I hope this doesnt become a problem !
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #50
Inner Circle

I don't think that the Steddiepod pretends to be an alternative to the Glidecam or any other stabiliser. I am sure that for sustained shots a proper stabiliser will always be better. The claim for the Steddiepod is that it enables you to quickly switch from a low shot on a monopod to a pseudo-crane shot to a floaty walking shot to a locked off camera all without changing camera or rig. In the rough of tumble of wedding coverage being able to quickly switch between different scenarios like this is worth a fortune. I respect the people who have praised the Steddiepod to me so I know that it works for them. Whether it will work for me or anyone else is another matter but I am inclined to give it a try. It's a lot cheaper than a Blackbird but it is more for all the other functions that I can see a use for it. If it's totally crap as a stabiliser then I still have my Glidecam but I have been overusing that so a Steddiepod might be a better alternative.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #51
Regular Crew

I agree Noa. The shadow is pretty clear. The camera was removed and attached to the bottom with the feet. My guess is you can do it both ways. The picture way looks faster (just flip it over and flip the footage in post), but the shadow way is probably more stable and maybe more mobile (no feet hitting your arm or chest).
Byron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 02:00 AM   #52
Inner Circle

I think the smoothness of that steddiepod is much affected on how much the camera weighs, in the demo's you see they are using a bigger camera which gives bigger inertia in movements but I doubt that paired with a very light dslr it will be that smooth. I have tried the nex-ea50 on my blackbird and was able to get more control and smoothness in movements due to the extra wheight but I only could fly it for a short while and I"m sure that will be the same with a steddiepod, it looks easy when you see those guys running around with it but the weight of the camera gets too heavy soon. A steadicam like the blackbird is build to take lighter dslr's and medium weight camera's and allows for more smoother moves, even with light camera's
Old August 31st, 2013, 03:00 AM   #53
Trustee

To produce high quality wedding DVD Matt, you need the best glide equipment... I use the merlin and its smooth but im not doing so much these days. Its all about the story editing and good good footage shots...Couple times you only need the slider and glide shots otherwise its to cheesy and to OTT.. The steadipod is not smooth but jerky and to bulky in tight spots/venues.. But hey you go with what you think, opinions are cool...Steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 02:14 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Pete from Engage Cinematic uses the steddipod system. In fact it was his him who put me onto it.

He produces work of a very high standard. It would seem its each to their own. There being many ways to skin a cat.

So to those who fancy a multi use tool, that can help you get some solid shots, you could do a lot worse than the steddipod.
Matt Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:28 PM   #55
Inner Circle

I think the bottom line here is use what makes your job easier...if a steddiepod becomes a pain in the butt to use then don't use it ..it will certainly give you better than hand held footage.

Personally I have given up using monopods at weddings and go just shoulder mount or tripod so a steddiepod would be more inconvenient for me to use than for someone else who tends to always have their second camera on a monopod. There you have the option to leave it standing without it crashing to the floor plus add a few neat moves and you have a useful tool!

For the price it's probably justified just for the fact you can use it as a standalone tripod rather than a monopod that you would have to put down/get someone to hold etc etc.

Regardless of what it is, if you can find something to make your shots easier or more effective it's not a waste of money at all!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 12:25 PM   #56
Major Player

I checked out the guys that Matt mentioned there, and in fairness, the footage is very usable. And if you look specifically at 1:08 in this video you can see the benefits.

In one section of walkway/steps he has been able to capture both glide shots and static shots.

So yea, for this reason, I can definitely see the appeal, but I'd really like to put my hands on one to make super sure before parting with the cash. For all we know, Engage Cinema may ALSO add stabilisation in post.

Sadly there's nowhere to rent it from!

Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #57
Trustee

Just received a steddiepod. In fact, ordered the tripod as well. Took steddiepod to wedding yesterday, but chickened out on using it. Maybe next week.

One thing I wanted to say off the bat is that the tripod arrived broken. The lock for the tripod plate is flimsy and plastic and had snapped off en route to me despite B&H's packaging. The pod has the same lock as the tripod. So that's a worry, because my gear does take a lot of punishment.

Other design features kind of irritated me. When the legs are folded out, you can't subtly rotate the monopod to level your frame on uneven ground. But when the legs are folded up, they block access to the locks for height control. For the same reason, you can't do a lean in shot with legs folded out. Also, the type of lock isn't as speedy to operate as on a Manfrotto 561BHDV-1..

The minimum height is slightly higher than for the BHDV-1. But of course the maximum height is also higher. The head has a lot more resistance, so pans and tilts will be a lot smoother, albeit possibly a lot slower, which is probably a good thing.

Still, I guess it's a compromise. What you can get that monopods don't ordinarily give you is perfectly steady footage, and the glidecamish option, and more flexibility in other ways.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:10 PM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
Anyone know why I might have started getting vibrations in my shots on each footstep since upgrading to a 6D on my Flycam? Its perfectly balanced, never had this problem with the 550D. Really annoying me!
Clive,
Nice footage. I too, have a flycam. Are you still using the 50mm lens? I know the canon 50mm is very light. Your flycam may need more weight. Try a different lens. I use a 17-50 mm lens and keep it at 17 when I fly. Also check the bolts on the flycam. I know I have to tighten them once in a while.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:41 PM   #59
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff and Clive

I have had many flycams but my 5500 has always been awesome!! I had to rework it a LOT before I got it right as the engineering is not exactly good. If yours has a gimal .. wash it out with a solvent to get ALL the white grease from the bearing until it's really clean and then just a drop of thin machine oil in it and you will see the difference. Also replace all thumb screws with allen head bolts and washers.

Camera OIS or similar MUST be off!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 06:55 AM   #60
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cook View Post
Clive,
Nice footage. I too, have a flycam. Are you still using the 50mm lens? I know the canon 50mm is very light. Your flycam may need more weight. Try a different lens. I use a 17-50 mm lens and keep it at 17 when I fly. Also check the bolts on the flycam. I know I have to tighten them once in a while.
Yup, one thing I wish I had at the wedding I shot this past summer was an allen wrench for those bolts!!
Nick Reuter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques