Cinematographer ? what's that ? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 29th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #61
Major Player

Re: Cinematographer ? what's that ?

There are no standards in this video or should I say cinematography business, especially in the wedding/event category. The best is a business card with the name of a video association one is a member of. This I am convinced of. One just goes to a camera store, picks up a few accessories with a DSLR, reads the instruction booklet, prints a batch of business cards with the "cinematographer" classification under the name and off they go advertising their expertise while taking potential clients away from the real pros that have worked hard to keep their reputation over the years. One does not have to take qualifying courses to be behind the camera and get the certification of a pro.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #62
Trustee

Hey Arthur,

I understand your point but I don't worry about those guys. I have been at this for many years. I charge more than low budget hacks so I don't have to compete with them. I have clients that I call refugees. They tried going with the lowest bids and then came back to me glad to pay my fees because they got burned.

To me, the sad part is not the guys just starting out. Everyone has to start someplace. The real problem is that our economy is driving fees down because real pros are cutting rates just to get work. Everyone needs to eat and even corporate budgets are tight!

Steve
Old October 29th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #63
Major Player

"The real problem is that our economy is driving fees down because real pros are cutting rates just to get work"

I know of many studios, photo and video business that either closed down or went to a home operation because of the overhead costs to maintain a commercial location. I know of 3 photo studios that used to average 100+ events a year 100+ video and 100 photo+,, charging reasonable, not cheap rates, that due to low ball competition were forced to either cut staff or lower their prices. I hear it all the time that maintain service and quality and don't budge on the pricing. That may work in some areas of the country but here in the northeast, it don't work that way. Granted, there are a few that are are still sticking to their guns but in reality I don't think they have over 30 events a year like that, I have been talking to a lot of videographers lately and the story from them is all the same. Couples don't want to or have the budget for a photo/video package like before. They don't even want a printed album anymore, the video cut down to a re-cap or highlight DVD without a full day coverage. Pricing average here for a full day coverage with editing is around $1200 give or take 100. In photography, without any printed matter, just a DVD of hi res JPG's is around $800 to 1000. I have long forgotten the days that I used to ask for $2500 for video shot on SD and delivered on VHS tape. And I used to get my price without any haggling. Funny thing is when you ask a stranger videographer how's business, they always say great and when you ask how many events they do and their average pricing, they make you feel like an undercharging peddler. Truth is, one needs to eat, I could otherwise sit and wait for the high rollers to sign and stick to my prices, but those clients are more few and far between. I may starve before the next one passes by.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques