DJ Light Problem - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 27th, 2014, 07:57 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: DJ Light Problem

I would really like to show the bride a few clips of what she may expect at her wedding day from DJ's and that perhaps will get her to have a serious talk with the DJ to SHUT DOWN THOSE ANNOYING LIGHTS .
This way I don't have to ask at the venue.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis View Post
I would really like to show the bride a few clips of what she may expect at her wedding day from DJ's and that perhaps will get her to have a serious talk with the DJ to SHUT DOWN THOSE ANNOYING LIGHTS .
This way I don't have to ask at the venue.
I think I'll be getting the list of vendors in advance, and contact the DJ with a friendly email, CC'ed to the bride. I do something similar as the DJ since I have such control over so many things, I try to make sure I ask what the vendors want/prefer. So, often I leave the house lights up a little for the start of the dance, but there are a few photogs who use off camera flash who like it darker. OK then.

That picture I posted, with all the laser dots... we would have had that during the 1st dance, but the photog noticed them and talked to him before it was an issue, and he was nice about it, thank goodness.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #18
Major Player

What annoys me the most about most DJ's beside them christmas lights is the level of volume that they subject me and the guests with. Many times in many weddings they were told by the guest as well as the bride to simmer it down a bit, which eventually got raised up little by little. What really do they accomplish by those high levels of volume which at some volume point I consider it annoying noise ? And then there are the really inconsiderate ones that have to play dance music during supper where half the guests are eating and the other plates are getting cold. Then there are those that specifically tell the maitre D to lower the ceiling lights to caveman level just so that THEY look good with their lasers and all. They somehow desire that dark underground club look. C'mon it's just a wedding in a glorified restaurant atmosphere where food is served.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis View Post
What annoys me the most about most DJ's beside them christmas lights is the level of volume that they subject me and the guests with. Many times in many weddings they were told by the guest as well as the bride to simmer it down a bit, which eventually got raised up little by little. What really do they accomplish by those high levels of volume which at some volume point I consider it annoying noise ? And then there are the really inconsiderate ones that have to play dance music during supper where half the guests are eating and the other plates are getting cold. Then there are those that specifically tell the maitre D to lower the ceiling lights to caveman level just so that THEY look good with their lasers and all. They somehow desire that dark underground club look. C'mon it's just a wedding in a glorified restaurant atmosphere where food is served.
Amen, Arthur.

Anyone else, feel free to chime in with your pet peeves. I'd love to post them over on the DJ message board for informational purposes.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
...horrible bright spots of over exposed posterized nastiness - the thing is they don't look too bad to my eyes, the camera makes it look worse than it is!
The posterization is probably just the camera clipping. The dynamic range requirements in your posted image are huge. I'm surprised you don't get strobing also, from dimming the LEDs so that they run at less than 100% duty cycle.

LED "party" lights just don't play well with video cameras.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #21
Major Player

sorry, just have to put this right here....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques