Just bought a cheap radio lav. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 13th, 2015, 02:59 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Just bought a cheap radio lav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Isn't the mic a condenser? So the TRS plug uses the extra circuit for DC power - dynamics might not have enough output, or did I get confused? Splitters or adaptors that short the sleeve to the ring might be fine with a dynamic, but will prevent a condenser getting power unless it's DC voltage superimposed on the audio type.
Hi Paul,

There doesn't seem to be a universal standard for 4 pole mini Jack wiring, but I am pretty sure that the mics are not condensers, I think that the other ring on the TX is used for a headphone output in parallel with the other headphone output on the casing. On the RX, the 4 pole headphone socket is wired for an earpiece and a talkback mic which is supplied, so I think for cheapness, the TX socket is wired the same way, as I can plug the supplied headset into the TX mic socket and hear the audio in the earpiece. Using the splitter linked to, keeps the electrical separation, and allows other dynamic mics and headsets to be used. It's a bit of an oddity but seems to work.

They probably use the same cases and sockets for TX and RX to keep the price down.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 08:19 AM   #32
Inner Circle

If a condenser mic element is used you still only need two conductors for a mono mic as the bias voltage is run in series with the hot wire of the mic so once the cable goes into the circuit board bias voltage is piggy backed on the same input cable ..it can be as little as 1.5v for a condenser mic so any transmitter with a least 1 x 1.5v battery to power the board is enough to provide a bias voltage for the mic element too. Because a dynamic mic needs a continuous circuit it often won't work in a condenser mic input however a powered condenser mic like the Rode Video Mic will work as it also uses a condenser element not a dynamic element. The current TRS plug might also be wired slightly differently to a standard mono or balanced mono (they use a stereo plug)
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 08:00 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Just found another useful feature today on the Boya receiver, what I thought was the headphone monitor volume, is actually the overall RX output volume, which is great as it means I can adjust the volume into the camera live. As I have volume meters on all my cameras, I can set at the optimum recording level and adjust instantly while I'm filming.

Roger
Old August 20th, 2015, 05:47 AM   #34
Major Player

Roger, Is there any background hiss or rustle when you use yours?

I wasn't sure if it was the microphone or the RX and TX.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 06:08 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Roger, Is there any background hiss or rustle when you use yours?

I wasn't sure if it was the microphone or the RX and TX.
Hi Matt,

No background rustle or hiss on either of mine, but the included mic is very sensitive to clothing rustle. I have just finished editing a wedding with the lab on the Groom and I placed it higher on his jacket because of rustling on other weddings. It was totally silent apart from the voices.

I also use two of the Boyas on a school performance recording, with the lavs clipped to two mic stands that the school were using. I had a Zoom on stage, plus a couple of shotgun mics on two cameras and the Boyas gave by far the best sound with no background noise at all. They were transmitting about 40ft to the RXs. The TX really needs to be in line of sight of the RX unless close or there will be some stuttering occasionally.

I have been testing various mics with the TXs using the 4 node to 3 node splitters that I mentioned earlier with good results, but they do need to have stereo plugs on the mics to work with the splitter. To that end, I have received a couple of stereo to mono converters this morning, so if they work it may be possible to use standard mono mics like Sure SM58, SM57 and other popular mics. I'll post what I find.

Roger
Old August 20th, 2015, 07:33 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Hi Roger

What I am interested in is for weddings, can you put the transmitter into the groom's inside jacket pocket? On your last wedding where did you have it ? Normally with RF based transmitters, if they are placed next to the body of the groom the signal is attenuated especially if the receiver has to try and get a signal when it has a human body in the way, plus a bit of clothing too. I do try and keep my main camera no more than 5 metres from the groom which does help a bit!!

These might be a far more economical solution as I was currently looking at the Audio Technica System 10 but it's a lot more money and so far I have read a few reports that the Rode Link system also has weird and wonderful noises.

Chris
Old August 20th, 2015, 08:14 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Hi Chris,

I have had no problem at all with the TX at weddings and always put it in the groom's inside pocket. As you say it would probably be no further than about 5-6 metres for most weddings, so would be fine. I have tested it at home through a brick wall up to 20ft without drop out.

More expensive systems are probably able to transmit over a greater range, but a few metres is all I ever need, with schools and theatres being the greatest range I would need. With those, I have the TXs mounted in direct line of sight and use them for general stage mics. I have also still not had any interference from other signals which surprises me in view of what others say about their own other brand systems. I rarely used my other system as it was always clashing with church and venue wireless mics.

For the price, I would just get one and see how you get on with it, which is exactly what I did and have been delighted.

Roger
Old August 20th, 2015, 08:17 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Thanks Roger

I will do just that !! My Azdens are getting old and the bandwidth that's legal is shrinking even faster!!

Chris
Old August 20th, 2015, 10:11 AM   #39
Inner Circle

I said I'd report back when I had tested the stereo to mono adapters.

I plugged the 4 node plug from the 2x 3node socket splitter lead into the TX, then the stereo plug to mono socket into the red side of the splitter lead. The red socket is the stereo mic input and the green takes a talkback earpiece if required. Then I have an XLR to mono 3.5mm plug lead that I can plug any of my XLR dynamic or battery capacitor mics into. In addition, any of my mics with stereo connectors will go straight to the red of the Y lead.. I added a pic to show the connectors.

Now I know the TX works with any combination, I will make up some leads to do away with the different connectors. It should be straightforward to make up an XLR to 4 node 3.5mm plug, just using the correct nodes on the plug, which will then go straight from mic to transmitter. A similar one can be made to go directly from stereo mics to the TX, again using just the correct nodes on the 4 node plug. Easy enough to test with a multimeter.

All in all, this means that in addition to lav mics, I can now use any of my mics placed wherever I want them for best effect. Not bad, two transmitters and receivers including lavs, with a few extra connectors for no more than about £100 total layout. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Just bought a cheap radio lav.-image.jpg  
Old August 20th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
Just received my second Boya after going for the free postage option. Ordered it Thursday arrived Monday for a total cost of £45.99.

Roger
Where did you get it at that price Roger ? I paid £60 for mine from Amazon, Delighted with it, thanks for the heads up. Looking to buy another, hence the question
Old August 20th, 2015, 02:46 PM   #41
Major Player

Dunno if you can hear this but recorded an example of the background noise I get.

Used a Zoom H1 at 55 Input Level.
Attached Files
File Type: wav Boya Example.wav (1,016.9 KB, 106 views)
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 02:57 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Where did you get it at that price Roger ? I paid £60 for mine from Amazon, Delighted with it, thanks for the heads up. Looking to buy another, hence the question
Hi Colin,

Glad you are pleased with the Boya and I just had a look back at my purchase history to find where I got mine. They seem to be advertising it at £49.99 at the moment but I made them an offer previously and got it at the lower price. Here is the current link BOYA 2.4GHz Wireless Lavalier Stereo Microphone System for DSLR Camera Camcorder | eBay

Roger
Old August 20th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #43
Major Player

Thanks for that Roger, much appreciated
Old August 20th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Dunno if you can hear this but recorded an example of the background noise I get.

Used a Zoom H1 at 55 Input Level.
Matt I can't hear anything at all on your upload, so can't comment. I would say that input 55 on the zoom would seem to be quite low to me, but there should be something there at least.

Roger
Old August 21st, 2015, 04:31 AM   #45
Major Player

Yeah, I just recorded silence to hear the background noise, 55 was ok for my voice as it was peeking around -8db

Just listened to the clip at work through the (semi-pro) speakers and DT100 and the background noise is very subtle so perhaps its just my laptop's speakers that boosts everything too much.

Listening to it on the better equipment sounds like it'll be very good quality for the price.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques