New camera advice please. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 22nd, 2016, 12:25 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: New camera advice please.

Thanks Noa, I looked at youtube clips for the FS5 a while back.
Your JVC gy-ls300 is worth having a look at.
Thank you for your advice.

(The first JVC camera I bought was a BY110, about 30yrs ago, how things have changed :) )
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 12:30 PM   #17
Inner Circle

There is a thread I started with a weddingvideo shot with the jvc, if you want to know more just ask: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...-gy-ls300.html
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 12:58 PM   #18
Trustee

Ok, thank you Noa for your help. :)
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 05:51 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I started 30 odd years ago too and my first camera was a JVC with a single Saticon tube feeding a VHS-C mini recorder all wrapped up in a JVC P3 shoulder mount frame and that was my introduction to filming.

I have always liked the JVC 800 series for balance and looks (it looks like a proper camera) but sadly nowdays way too heavy and pricey! If a $1K camera does as good a job as an $8K one do I really need to stick with an expensive and heavy unit?? Admittedly it does feel more "correct" with a decent size camera on your shoulder!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 06:51 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Just a thought here... Since you still like the SM form factor I remember that Noa made up a neat rig for his GH camera and Tascam recorder and had a DSLR but shoulder mounted!

I'm sure Noa remembers where he posted the image...it might suit you???
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:22 AM   #21
Inner Circle

That mini shoulderrig was only ok if I needed to do some interviews handheld but not something I would use an entire day. It was basically just 2 rails with a shoulderpad that allowed mounting of the camera and a tascam dr60 and a audio receiver and then I had a loupe attached to the flipout screen so I could use it like a shouldercamera. It was a bit awkward to hold but it did work well for little camera's like the gh4 or my sonu cx730. It's something I wouldn't recommend to Anthony as it was just a custommade solution for one single task.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:29 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Found it :) I don't use it anymore because my jvc can now be used for interviews.
Attached Thumbnails
New camera advice please.-shouldercam01.jpg  
Old March 23rd, 2016, 02:25 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Thanks Noa

I just wanted to point Anthony to it to show that you can use a DSLR form factor in a shoulder mount form ..it might ease his transition ... Conventional still cameras have an awkward form for shooting video if you are handholding them which is why I built my little fig rig so at least it's more video compatible
Old March 23rd, 2016, 05:32 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I just wanted to point Anthony to it to show that you can use a DSLR form factor in a shoulder mount form ..it might ease his transition ... Conventional still cameras have an awkward form for shooting video if you are handholding them which is why I built my little fig rig so at least it's more video compatible
Thanks Noa and Chris.
Thanks for looking that up for me, really appreciate your input.
Its just making that move form a shoulder mount camera and as Peter also said the move was worth it.

I think not having a backup device attached to my main camera is a worry for me.

Thank you all.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques