Selling Video Downloads - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 12th, 2017, 06:10 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Re: Selling Video Downloads

Thanks Gerald

Jaycar also have a neat 5.8GB transmitter/receiver unit but I think you need the transmitter to be powered which makes it a pain for a standalone remote camera! If one needs to run power to the camera/tripod one might as well run a HDMI cable instead. For a theatre style recording running camera cables shouldn't be any issue at all as they won't be moved and if you place cameras intelligently a 10 m run should be plenty.

I still think doing a live edit, even if you supply yje USB/DVD media later is a good way to go if you can handle it on your own.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 04:52 AM   #77
Inner Circle

Hi Chris,

For me the jury is still out on live mixing and editing. I did it live to computer and tape for many years and became pretty good at it with up to 4 cameras. The trouble is it is so easy to miss something that happens quickly, and when it's gone it''s gone for good. Things like choirs and music shows where the action is slow paced worked really well with the use of different camera angles to make it all more interesting. I found that with theatre or school productions and weddings, that we were missing a lot of shots and ending up making the shots much wider and less varied to avoid missing bits. I completely agree about just packing up and going home afterwards, but as regards setting up, that is a much more lengthy process.

I can set up 3 or 4 cameras, tripods and a couple of audio recorders in a church in a few minutes, but setting up for a live stream, with cables, switcher, conversion boxes and wireless and wifi, I would consider a pain in the butt compared with the way we work at the moment. For weddings, I think it would mean selling a totally different style of recording compared with our current offerings with a much more limited coverage but with LIVE being the whole point, rather than a general record of their day.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 07:30 AM   #78
Inner Circle

Hi Roger

Just to set the record straight all the ceremony videos we do are "computerless" The camera has a Broadcaster on it fed with HDMI from the camera plus records to the card (the FZ2500) does that ..the Broadcaster streams out to the service direct with just a wifi hotspot usually in my top pocket or on a stand in the area ... So it's really a 1 camera shoot ..very basic and very simple I pick up the bride arriving using the cam handheld and then it goes onto a tripod on a dolly for the ceremony until the end and I can move it to change angle and view as I wish. There is no switcher and no second cam ...But it seems to work pretty much OK

I would only use the switcher and multiple cams at a fixed venue like receptions, seminars or even funerals.
Old January 14th, 2017, 03:16 AM   #79
Trustee

Just wondering Chris,
I chased up those USB drives at Office Works, Toshiba 8gb for $2.50 each, filled up a trolley with all they had and was going to order more, got to check out, and told I could only buy 5 :(((( lol.
Rang the business hotline they gave me in store and they wont budge on the 5 limit.
Did you have this problem getting yours?
So frustrating, wanted to buy 1000 and never have to look for them again.
Old January 14th, 2017, 04:34 AM   #80
Inner Circle

Weird

I bought 10 and they never said a word to me nor was there any notice on the bin restricting the quantity.

Hmmm maybe you need to go store to store and buy 10 at a time ..how many did you have in the trolley? You could always buy 5 , then send the wife and friends in all buying 5 at a time ??? 10 friends and 5 stores would net you 250 drives!!!

Just saw the website and they have added the limit of 5 now..bugger!! They do have the smaller 8GB Toshibas for $3.79 which is quite darn good (but $2.50 is better!!)
Old January 14th, 2017, 02:57 PM   #81
Trustee

Got a number for the wholesaler :)
Got the paperwork to become a reseller and get an account with them.
Anybody want to buy some electronics gear.....

Let you know how it goes.
Old January 14th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #82
Inner Circle

Sounds interesting I wonder how many you would have to buy as a distributor?? 1000 or 10000 to get the same price as Office Works got!!
Old January 15th, 2017, 01:33 AM   #83
Trustee

yep, I know. Was thinking the same. But Officeworks wouldnt be selling for zero markup, so even if I pay 30% more than them they still may be around the $2.50 mark..... we will see. :)
Old January 15th, 2017, 03:42 AM   #84
Equal Opportunity Offender

Well done Gerald with regards to contacting the wholesaler.

I've given up on Officeworks of late as a heap of their products are not in store when you go to purchase. Most annoying and inconvenient, not to mention defeating the purpose of having a physical shop.

"You can order them on the Officeworks web site" the sales droid tells me. I then reply with "I can order them from anyone's web site and the prices are cheaper too." to which the sales droid says "Yes. Lots of people have told me that."

Bypassing Officeworks is a really good thing.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 04:55 AM   #85
Inner Circle

Hey Gerald if the price is not right try Manufacturers & Suppliers Directory | Global Sources I used them to get my LCD video books and they enable you to contract manufacture plants direct ...Most seem to have a min order of 100 so it quite practical ... I got my 7" LCD units ready to roll for $30.00 each and the local guy sells them for $60 ....Just find what you want, fill in the enquiry and the factory will email you with details and prices
Old January 16th, 2017, 01:06 AM   #86
Trustee

Thanks Andrew and Chris,
Yes Officeworks dont seem to promote motivated business people. Everyone I spoke to seemed to be reading from a manual and was more interested in what they cant do, rather than what they can....

Tried that site now Chris. See what they come back with. cheers :)
Old January 16th, 2017, 04:16 AM   #87
Inner Circle

Hi Chris,

Weren't you using Flashbay at some point? They have always been very helpful and reasonable prices plus they will do custom printing etc. Maybe they are not as competitive as they used to be.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 04:21 AM   #88
Trustee

My quote from Flashbay-

"Your quote:
250 Wafer Drives USB(2.0)
2 GB, $6.20 AUD per unit ex. GST
4 GB, $6.35 AUD per unit ex. GST"

Nice helpful rep, but even he admitted they were a bit pricey ATM.

I know they are branded, which is great, but not at almost 3 x the cost.
Old January 16th, 2017, 04:31 AM   #89
Inner Circle

Hi Roger

Not me at all ...I get mine where the price is great. If you look at 100 units you should be able to get direct from China for around US$1.50 or maybe less ....I would put in a couple of enquiries thru Global Sources Gerald and see who offers the best price ....However no sure if you want branded logos or not ..their minimum quantity might go up if you want a customised drive. Be careful of their shipping costs BTW ..they all seem to favour DHL express which is pricey so best to work on the biggest order you can afford otherwise the shipping spoils the price on a small quantity!!!
Old January 16th, 2017, 04:46 AM   #90
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
My quote from Flashbay-

"Your quote:
250 Wafer Drives USB(2.0)
2 GB, $6.20 AUD per unit ex. GST
4 GB, $6.35 AUD per unit ex. GST"

Nice helpful rep, but even he admitted they were a bit pricey ATM.

I know they are branded, which is great, but not at almost 3 x the cost.
Hi Gerald,

That does sound expensive even with branding! It's a couple of years since I contacted them and they were a lot more competitive then.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques