4K BM “pocket” camera for weddings - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 10th, 2018, 09:35 PM   #46
Major Player

Re: 4K BM “pocket” camera for weddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
I know. I was more talking about the large number of mirrorless announcements in recent weeks. Besides Canon isn't technically fullframe either if you're shooting 4K. :)
They're not even APS-C!
Old September 11th, 2018, 10:43 AM   #47
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
I'm surprised that BM bothered with the CFast slot when they provide the facility to write direct to an SSD via a USB-C socket. Considering a 128GB CFast card is more than double the price of a 1TB SSD it would have made more sense just to have a slot for a 2.5" SSD.
If you use up the usb-c port for storage then you cannot use it for portable power - you can power the camera via the usb-c slot with a small power pack - so with CFast cards and small attachable power pack you can shoot RAW video for hours.

This camera is designed for handheld use, without a rig (does not mean you cannot use a rig for better video in some cases). A 2.5" SSD slot would make the camera bigger. Small is the reason they keep "pocket" in the name (though it certainly is not pocketable). I like the design decisions.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 11:55 AM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
If you use up the usb-c port for storage then you cannot use it for portable power .
Oh, that's a bummer!

There is absolutely no other way to power the camera apart from batteries when the USB-c port is in use for recording? Would we be able to use a fake battery connected to a power supply as is the case on the GH5?
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 11:56 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Quote:
This camera is designed for handheld use
Does it have sensor stabilisation?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 02:15 PM   #50
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Does it have sensor stabilisation?
No. So not really a handheld camera. Except you can carry it by hand and not mount on a shoulder. But really, it needs a tripod. Gimbal and other accessories to bring it to life. Latest rumours have it ready by the 5th October for delivery. It has to be out soon even if to a handful of early buyers. All this press they're engaging would seem silly if no one has the camera by the end of the year.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 04:11 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Then also the fact it is missing a viewfinder makes it even less suitable for handheld shooting, that means you have to hold the camera in front of you instead of against your eye and you"ll loose another point of contact to stabilize. You can also forget to shoot with unstabilised lenses.
This is a tripod camera or one to put on a shoulder rig.
Old September 11th, 2018, 04:59 PM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Then also the fact it is missing a viewfinder makes it even less suitable for handheld shooting, that means you have to hold the camera in front of you instead of against your eye and you"ll loose another point of contact to stabilize.
Perhaps it is only me but I find my footage more stable when I hold the camera in front of me and watch the screen.
Old September 12th, 2018, 01:38 AM   #53
Inner Circle

No matter how you handhold the camera, if there is no lens or sensor stabilisation it results in unusable footage, unless you are ok with the jitter or you like the look of post stabilisation.
Old September 12th, 2018, 06:01 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
Oh, that's a bummer!

There is absolutely no other way to power the camera apart from batteries when the USB-c port is in use for recording? Would we be able to use a fake battery connected to a power supply as is the case on the GH5?
The BMPCC4K has a locking DC connector for external 12vDC power supply.
Mervyn Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 07:19 AM   #55
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervyn Jack View Post
The BMPCC4K has a locking DC connector for external 12vDC power supply.
Great, then as far as I am concerned there is no issue in using the USB-c connector.
Old September 12th, 2018, 10:21 AM   #56
Trustee

Quote:
No matter how you handhold the camera, if there is no lens or sensor stabilisation it results in unusable footage, unless you are ok with the jitter or you like the look of post stabilisation.
Yes, but for years you and others shot handheld with optically-stabilized lenses only. IBIS for *video-capable* ILC cameras is relatively new. There are plenty of MFT lenses with stabilization built in. So it is nonsense you cannot use the camera handheld.
Old September 12th, 2018, 10:24 AM   #57
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
Great, then as far as I am concerned there is no issue in using the USB-c connector.
Sure, if you are happy with a rigged up camera on sticks - a 12v power supply is big and heavy. The point, again, is that this camera is *in (large) part* specifically designed for handheld or gimbal use, so big attachments defeat one of its major purposes. You can mount a small usb battery pack (+CFfast) or a small usb ssd drive (and replace small batteries a lot) and still carry it around to shoot.
Old September 12th, 2018, 11:35 AM   #58
Inner Circle

Quote:
Yes, but for years you and others shot handheld with optically-stabilized lenses only. IBIS for *video-capable* ILC cameras is relatively new. There are plenty of MFT lenses with stabilization built in. So it is nonsense you cannot use the camera handheld.
Read my post again, I was refering to lenses with no stabilisation and in that case it's not possible to shoot handheld without post stabilisation.
I and others did shoot with a very limited lens choice handheld in the past, but now I can shoot handheld with my gh5 with every lens I have which is a huge difference.
Old September 12th, 2018, 11:47 AM   #59
Trustee

Quote:
But only 2 are faster than f2.8 and weddings are lots of low light situations.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 11:57 AM   #60
Inner Circle

It was a constant frustration of mine that I could not use all my primes handheld so that same frustration will be present when using the pocketcam handheld as your lensselection will be limited; with the gh5 it doesn't matter what lens you use, every lens makes handheld shooting possible.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques