How do you white balance dance recitals / stage shows? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 22nd, 2021, 10:49 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: How do you white balance dance recitals / stage shows?

Thank you everyone for all the great comments.

Back in 2009/2010 we actually did detach our cameras and pull a manual WB on stage with white light. But lights were different then and we only had 3 cameras.

The recitals I'm shooting now are still low budget and the results each year are good considering everything but I have to do matching in post which is what I am trying to get away from. I probably critique the colors more than any of them but it bothers me when the cameras don't match. 3 of the camera are identical Panasonic AG HMC150 models bought intentionally so they would match and the blasted things still do not match on presets indoors. They do match pretty good if we can pull a manual WB though but the indoor 3200K preset just doesn't match and it has irritated me for years. Problem is I don't know how to pull a manual WB nowadays in dance/theatre.
I also mix some other cameras too but I try to use my various Panasonics instead of my Sonys together

As far as distribution, we are still doing DVDs mostly as of last year. I have offered Blu-rays but DVDs outsell them and USB. Due to the CV situation all my income dropped so for one client I persuaded them to go to internet download delivery because the budget was so low I couldn't justify the Disk authoring and production.
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2021, 11:16 AM   #32
Inner Circle

It's been annoying me for years. A friend of a friend is a racks guy for broadcast and his job is harder now as the LDs push the envelope - and of course he also has to contend with the video screens which are very hard to make match with 1. the studio lights, and 2. the cameras.

Interesting your identical cameras perform differently. The manufacturers really should sort this out as so many people are shooting non-daylight and non-tungsten nowadays.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2021, 12:55 PM   #33
Major Player

I don't have just one single way that I approach white balancing for stage shows. When possible, I try to figure out who is in charge of lighting for the show and have a discussion with them about how they are handling the lighting, and explain what I am trying to accomplish with determining a color temperature for "white" light.

Depending on the results of this conversation, there any number of possible outcomes-

1) I'll be able to determine the precise white light color temperature of their lights and manually dial in a specific white balance level to each camera.

2) I'll end up manually white balancing the main center camera, then manually dial that level into the other cameras to match.

3) I'll learn that different parts of the show will have different whites, and will thus take notes and create presets to cover these different parts of the show.

Sometimes, such a conversation isn't possible. In that case, I will try to guess. If it looks like they are using tungsten lighting, I will preset the camera white balances to 3200K. Otherwise, if it looks like the primary lighting is LED, I will use 5600K.

What I don't do is white balance each camera individually. Even a slight difference in angle between the camera and white card can result in a different color of light being reflected. So, when I do have to manually white balance, I only grab that white from a single camera, and then manually set that value in the other cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Iím interested to see if you US folk have issues with child protection rules? Twice now Iíve been asked to remove a childís face from the video when itís been discovered they are subject to orders preventing ďtheir likenessĒ being published. Luckily both times, the lack of definition in the long shots has made only blobbing the closer shots required? Iíd not given much thought to the idea of increasing the wide shot resolution. Do you have this problem?
I have never once had this be an issue. For one thing, in the US, there really aren't any special child protection rules regarding video or photography. Individual schools or institutions may adopt their own policies, but from a legal point of view, there isn't much.

We have a first amendment right to pretty much photograph or record anything on video... There are some exceptions to this, like you can't record an image of someone if they have a reasonable expectation of privacy (like if they are in the bathroom). However, it would be really difficult for them to argue that there was a reasonable expectation of privacy when they are on a stage in front of a crowd of people.

If such a situation did ever come up for me, I would direct the parents to talk to whoever hired me to do the job to begin with. I would explain that I was hired to do a job, and if I am going to alter that job, that they need to take that up with my client. If the client then comes back to me and asks me to obscure a particular performer, I will happily oblige, but explain my post-production billing rates, and try to come up with a quote for how much it will cost to do that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques