Geting your name out - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 11th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #16
Major Player

Dennis,

Brides on the knot are fast to distinguish a "real" bride from a vendor. This is a bad way of drumming up business.

Once these brides find out that YOU are a vendor, they will flame you hard on these sites.

You must realize women are much different that men, as much as you try to "act" like a bride or someone giving advice.....these brides can tell.

A very bad idea. I have seen many videogs get caught along with photogs on the knot.....and the brides bash these companies telling other brides "THIS IS A VENDOR!!!!"....and "DO NOT USE THEIR SERVICES!!!!"

To anyone trying to get more business....DONT DO IT!!!! THe backlash of what could happen is not worth your name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Danatzko
I REALLY like Keith's idea.

Another option/method is to "seed" wedding discussion forums with your business name. You can find online forums where prospective brides/parents even grooms look for advice. And you don't have to "advertise" per se...just include a post something like this: "I know clients of XYZ company were satisfied with their videographer. You can contact them at 123-456-7890."

Good luck.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #17
Trustee

Bribe Shops.... er I mean bridal Shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
What Keith and other said...........but be aware that some bridal shops won't allow you to put out cards or if they do, they'll charge you some rediculous amount of money.
I found that the local Bridal shops are all controlled by some marketing conglomerate that has cornered the market on business card boxes. Somehow they agreed that they would be the only company allowed to hold business cards at wedding related businesses. Now you have to pay them a fee to get your cards stocked in their card holders. Nice racket they have going.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #18
Major Player

tip

Kevin,

The best advice I received on the forum regrading getting my name out there and generating business was:

"Do as much as you can to start, even if it's for free and if you're good
work will find you."
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:45 AM   #19
Trustee

works up to a point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Waters
Kevin,

The best advice I received on the forum regrading getting my name out there and generating business was:

"Do as much as you can to start, even if it's for free and if you're good
work will find you."
That worked for me up to a point. I am starting to need to advertise in order to get more than one client every 3 months. The problem is figuring out what advertising is worth it.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson
The problem is figuring out what advertising is worth it.

jason
Totally agree with that comment. Word of mouth is the best form of getting your name out there, but If your starting out it's going to be a slow process. To really have a good start you do need to look at some form of advertising that will pay off in the end.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #21
Capt. Quirk

I say word of mouth is the best advertising, and get this- It's almost always FREE! You just need to hang out with the right circles, i.e., those that need videos done, or those that know someone that does. Florists, DJs, Caterers... anybody that can drop your name to the Bride.

Skip the strippers for the Bachelor party though. As much fun as they may sound, the Groom is usually too hammered to remember your name, and there isn't much time to get ready if he does.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques